Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these?Culturally,Economically,Polictically,Influen ce etc..
Charlotte 9 9.18%
Pittsburgh 13 13.27%
Jacksonville FL 2 2.04%
Cleveland 7 7.14%
Denver 33 33.67%
San DIego 17 17.35%
Columbus ,Ohio 7 7.14%
Portland,OR 10 10.20%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 08:45 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Pittsburgh? I don't see Pittsburgh as being on the same level as Denver. And I don't see Pittsburgh being above Charlotte and Cleveland at all. Pittsburgh continues to bleed population while Denver and Charlotte are growing.
Pittsburgh still has over 2,000,000 people in its metropolitan area, has a gross metropolitan product of over $100B, and does well in terms of educational attainment among adults ages 25+, both in terms of percentage and percent growth. (Narrow the age range down to 25-44, and the numbers are even more impressive.)

The population that's being bled are mostly either elderly or with lower education levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapers Block
The results of the 2010 census will again show a hefty population decline within the city limits, and the region has shown- up until recently- little growth in terms of international and domestic migration. But unlike places like Detroit or Cleveland, where a slow, spiraling decline of industry and population are exacerbating underlying dysfunctional conditions and dependency on old models of growth, Pittsburgh is undergoing a peculiar demographic turnover wherein more people are dying within the city than are being born and/or moving in at present.

Hence, the city is molting, literally discarding the remnants of its past. When the process is complete, which looks very close to occurring, the city left behind will be in some respects, a new, shining city on (many) hill(s). And an incredibly educated one at that, vying with Washington D.C. for the largest proportion of young adults aged 25-34 with post-graduate degrees.
As for Denver, its status as a regional economic center gives it a built-in advantage over Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 09:09 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
How is Cleveland a 3rd tier city...well just read the thread... hrmm.. seems nobody can agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
Definitely Jacksonville, it's the best city for this poll. It has the most culture, attractions, night life, and revenue, plus all those tall buildings downtown.
OMG
I can't believe even the biggest Jacksonville homer saying that with a straight face.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:28 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
There certainly are some very "eye popping" musings and commentaries in this thread ... As far as placing cities in an appropriate tier system, I think that placing Cleveland as 3rd
tier ... that is INSANE!
Cleveland may be down "a bit" ( like so many other cities ) ... but it's FAR FROM BEING OUT

"Cleveland is a city that rose to national and even world prominence long before most of these other cities had any more than 40 stoplights total"
Cleveland is an important and beautiful city ... rife with the same type of worldly accompaniments and endowments that one often sees in cities like New York, Chicago or Philadelphia ...
fabulous architecture, world class cultural venues ... museums that are secondary to no other, a world renowned orchestra, world class healthcare and spacious and sprawling suburbs ... it's all here

Cleveland is certainly poised to reclaim lost ground too ... so many large and important projects have veen completed or are impending within the city and it's metro area.
I've just relocated "back to Cleveland" and I'm utterly amazed at the progressiveness and the level of construction / major projects that are beginning to revitalize and transform the city.

As far as a tier system, I would confidently rank Cleveland as tier # 1 with regards to it's vast cultural offerings and endowments and it's rising prominence in the healthcare / biosciences industry.

Here are two videos I enjoy sharing ... showcasing Cleveland as it is, "trials to triumph"
Ok. Before I begin, I'd like to say again that this is how most people would consider the first two tiers:

Tier 1:
New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington DC (we all know NYC is in its own category and is far ahead of any other city in the country but let's just put these other cities in there just to keep this tidy)

Tier 2:
San Francisco, Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas, Boston, Atlanta, maybe Miami

Let's take a look how these cities all stack up in terms of GDP (alphabetically):
Atlanta: $269.799B
Boston: $299.590B
Chicago: $560.672B
Dallas: $379.863B
Houston: $403.202B
Los Angeles: $717.884B
Miami: $261.263B
New York City: $1,264.896B
Philadelphia: $331.897B
Washington DC: $395.747B

Cleveland: $104.425B

Cleveland in no way compares to any of the aforementioned cities in terms of importance.

You mention Cleveland's prominence in the health care/life sciences industry. The Cleveland Clinic is amazing, no one can deny that...but Cleveland doesn't rank in the Top 11 for life sciences (similarly sized Raleigh-Durham, Minneapolis, and Seattle rank). It's certainly not in the top tier in this area. The Cleveland Clinic is. Cleveland itself is not.

Cleveland does have fantastic cultural offerings, but that only goes so far.

This isn't intended to be an attack on Cleveland. Just a call for some form of sanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
OMG
I can't believe even the biggest Jacksonville homer saying that with a straight face.
Yea I don't think anyone would be that insane...I'm going to just assume you must have misinterpreted some sarcasm.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:10 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Well, Jacksonville is the biggest city in Florida, and we all know how important Florida is...

Old 10-21-2010, 10:16 AM

976 posts, read 2,241,836 times
jacksonville is on the same tier as places like omaha and des moines.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:55 PM

252 posts, read 492,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Pittsburgh is not a 5th tier city.....gawd do you people use any other metrics for judging cities besides population counts......Pittsburgh and Allegheny county have projected population GROWTH in the last 2 years.....so the Losing population arguement is old....

Pittsburgh would be 3rd or 4th tier city based om what metrics you use..
I put a little more thought into my tier list than just population counts. If Pittsburgh is in the same ranks as Seattle, Minneapolis, or Denver which IMO are tier 4 areas, then it's at the bottom of that tier. The Minneapolis area, for example, is home to 20 Fortune 500 headquarters; the Pittsburgh area has 8. Minneapolis has a GMP of $192.4 B; Pittsburgh's is $114.6 B.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:42 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times
But the Methodology outline in the OP is based on my than just how many corporate HQ are based in a city.

Pittsburgh definitely ranks amongst the same as Seattle, Minneapolis, Denver, Portland but not sure its at the bottom when you add factors outlined in the OP....

I mean Culturally, Pittsburgh ranks amongst the best of them

Economically, Pittsburgh has one of the LOWEST unemployment rates of Big Cities, only DC and Boston have lower....not to mention its one of the best cities for income growth.

Politics...Pittsburgh was the G20 host, and now has more of an International presence, but not sure any of these "Tier 3/4" cities have much political power on a national level.

Influence again none of these cities have much influences outside their core areas.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:43 PM

614 posts, read 1,764,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
But the Methodology outline in the OP is based on my than just how many corporate HQ are based in a city.

Pittsburgh definitely ranks amongst the same as Seattle, Minneapolis, Denver, Portland but not sure its at the bottom when you add factors outlined in the OP....

I mean Culturally, Pittsburgh ranks amongst the best of them

Economically, Pittsburgh has one of the LOWEST unemployment rates of Big Cities, only DC and Boston have lower....not to mention its one of the best cities for income growth.

Politics...Pittsburgh was the G20 host, and now has more of an International presence, but not sure any of these "Tier 3/4" cities have much political power on a national level.

Influence again none of these cities have much influences outside their core areas.
Pittsburgh is not with Seattle and Denver for sure and its has a low employment because of all the people in the city leaving and opening up jobs.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:44 PM

614 posts, read 1,764,121 times
And there are 2 many Pitt homers on this.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:06 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
And there are 2 many Pitt homers on this.
Too many Pittsburgh homers??? to what NY, LA, SF, Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston, Atlanta, DC homers on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
Pittsburgh is not with Seattle and Denver for sure and its has a low employment because of all the people in the city leaving and opening up jobs.
You cannot be serious???? if you are, you've just lost all credibility with this statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City