Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are becoming World Class?(choose more than one)
Denver 60 13.07%
San Diego 47 10.24%
New Orleans 14 3.05%
Kansas City 8 1.74%
Phoenix 19 4.14%
San Antonio 22 4.79%
St Louis 7 1.53%
Orlando 12 2.61%
Atlanta 263 57.30%
Salt Lake City 7 1.53%
Voters: 459. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 06:06 PM

560 posts, read 667,050 times

Advertisements

NOLA,

The San Francisco MSA murder rate is higher in the 2012 FBI stats I submitted, and, ironically, also bore out in the 2010 FBI stats you submitted. Both years posted show a lower murder rate for the Atlanta MSA.

What do you not understand?

Also, you can call me a homer but I have significant grievances with Atlanta. I'm about as far from a homer as you'll find on city-data. As for Ant, that poster downright hates Atlanta in most regards. But he's honest and, more importantly, he's right about this. As am I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 12:51 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,624 times
NOLA,

You realize the SF MSA includes Oakland right?

Old 11-20-2014, 02:27 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBeltOptimist View Post
Not yet as far as Denver being world class in the sense you're referring to, but the thread's purpose "Which cities are maturing into World Class" is to identify which cities are heading that direction, not which cities are already there. I think Denver is. Its museum collections have been growing significantly, it's getting denser and the transit is becoming much more multi-modal, it's also very rich, which certainly helps, and it's growing fast. Of the cities the OP mentioned, I think Atlanta had a step up on it until the recovery. Now, I'm not sure whether Atlanta or Denver will reach world class status first. Certainly both are far enough away that a major disaster or financial collapse could prevent them from reaching that, but I think both are on a good trajectory.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't see "world class" status as something too many cities get to (hence the classification of "world"). Most cities will never get there. I struggle to classify more than a small handful of American cities as world class. Non world class cities can certainly have world class attributes or strong attributes however. Recognizing that we're talking about "maturing into world class", maybe some of these cities are, but they're probably something like 25% of the way there. JMO.

I've been to some of Denver's museums recently. Denver Art Museum is certainly a very strong museum (love the collection of Indian art), but world class? Eh. The Nature and Science Museum is also nice, but world class? Eh. Downtown still gets pretty quiet at night (was there last summer from Thurs - Sun). Amenities are growing, but nothing that's world class. The 16th Street Mall is a good implementation for the US (pedestrian and transit based), but it's very "chainy" and feels too segregated from significant residential populations...something that's getting better, but a far far shot from where the best cities in the world stand. Again JMO.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:31 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I have not ever met anyone who "loved" Atlanta. Most people are indifferent or somewhat negative, IMO.
Nice to meet you.... i love Atlanta. and think it shouldn't even be mentioned in this forum considering its already a world class city.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't see "world class" status as something too many cities get to (hence the classification of "world"). Most cities will never get there. I struggle to classify more than a small handful of American cities as world class. Non world class cities can certainly have world class attributes or strong attributes however. Recognizing that we're talking about "maturing into world class", maybe some of these cities are, but they're probably something like 25% of the way there. JMO.

I've been to some of Denver's museums recently. Denver Art Museum is certainly a very strong museum (love the collection of Indian art), but world class? Eh. The Nature and Science Museum is also nice, but world class? Eh. Downtown still gets pretty quiet at night (was there last summer from Thurs - Sun). Amenities are growing, but nothing that's world class. The 16th Street Mall is a good implementation for the US (pedestrian and transit based), but it's very "chainy" and feels too segregated from significant residential populations...something that's getting better, but a far far shot from where the best cities in the world stand. Again JMO.
How about fortune 500 companies, the education, and G.D.P?

Museums aren't really that important in real life.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:34 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
How about fortune 500 companies, the education, and G.D.P?

Museums aren't really that important in real life.
Obviously there are MANY more considerations (which are more important too). I was responding to another post that mentioned museums.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Obviously there are MANY more considerations (which are more important too). I was responding to another post that mentioned museums.
Oh my fault...

Old 11-21-2014, 10:13 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
NOLA,

You realize the SF MSA includes Oakland right?
He never replied back after his balls got busted.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:09 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post

As a metro, Atlanta has a LOWER murder rate than many U.S. metros including Miami, Chicago, and your West Coast darling San Francisco (likely because it's MSA includes Oakland).
By your own stats, SF and Atlanta are separated by one tenth of a percentage point so it's not like Atlanta's MSA murder is wayyy lower- theyre about the same, no?

Old 11-22-2014, 08:21 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
He never replied back after his balls got busted.
It happens very regularly lol..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City