Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are becoming World Class?(choose more than one)
Denver 60 13.07%
San Diego 47 10.24%
New Orleans 14 3.05%
Kansas City 8 1.74%
Phoenix 19 4.14%
San Antonio 22 4.79%
St Louis 7 1.53%
Orlando 12 2.61%
Atlanta 263 57.30%
Salt Lake City 7 1.53%
Voters: 459. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 08:45 PM

560 posts, read 666,881 times

Advertisements

Worst part is, you even acknowledged that we were talking about metros. And then you throw up a wiki page about city proper. Your words:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
There's no way Atlanta metro has a lower murder rate than the SF metro. Georgia has one of the highest murder rates of any state in the U.S., and most of Georgia is in the Atlanta metro.

You're probably misusing the stat, by not comparing apples-to-apples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 10:47 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
He's an idiot and knows he got got. That's why he tried to divert the stats as if people are dumb. Again, try again.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:44 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBeltOptimist View Post
I think that's why I described it as exoticism, as it seems to exclude US cities based on their geography rather than whether they're actually meeting those definitions you've set and including world cities that don't actually seem to fit the criteria. Cape Town is one of the most sprawled cities in Africa, with a population density of 1500/sq. km, and it's getting worse in this measure, while Denver is rapidly improving with its population boom being pulled inward into the city itself. The two cities' urban areas should criss-cross in density in the next few years at current rates (Atlanta's admittedly terrible with sprawl.) Cape Town's infrastructure is nothing to crow about for most of the city, either, only functional in well to do pockets. You brought up Florence in comparison to Denver earlier too, and while I've stopped to share wine with lovely people in a lovely old house without indoor plumbing in the last three years in Firenza, I've never had that issue in American cities. The problem with older cities is often older infrastructure, or retrofitted infrastructure that doesn't fully function.

You also say it's rare for a city to be known worldwide for its outdoor amenities, and this is true, but of the cities listed, I'm pretty sure both Denver and San Diego (which btw, is more dense than Cape Town) would qualify in this regard in the same way that say Geneva and Monaco do, respectively. If you've ever been to DIA in the winter you'll be able to hear snippets of conversation in every developed country's tongue on the planet.
Cape Town may have been a bad example, although there are situations where geography can have an impact on the quality of a city (btw - Cape Town has portions of the city that are not sprawled). Outside of that example, I'm certainly not excluding US cities based on geography; I'm not sure why you keep going there. It's just my opinion/preference that cities built around car infrastructure are not usually as well built as older cities with a better split of transportation options. They can be retrofitted, but there is a difference between retrofitting a car-based city to pedestrians vs. retrofitting a pedestrian-based city for automobiles. If you've visited these places, I'm sure you have seen the difference. Of course the build of a city is just one aspect (although a big one IMO).

As far as a lack of indoor plumbing in places like Florence...that's not the norm and it's certainly beside the point. I guess because people don't routinely put screens on their windows in Rome that the city isn't all it's cracked up to be...?

Do you believe that Denver is a world-class city? One that can compete on the international stage with the best cities that the world has to offer?

Old 11-17-2014, 02:33 PM

465 posts, read 658,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Cape Town may have been a bad example, although there are situations where geography can have an impact on the quality of a city (btw - Cape Town has portions of the city that are not sprawled). Outside of that example, I'm certainly not excluding US cities based on geography; I'm not sure why you keep going there. It's just my opinion/preference that cities built around car infrastructure are not usually as well built as older cities with a better split of transportation options. They can be retrofitted, but there is a difference between retrofitting a car-based city to pedestrians vs. retrofitting a pedestrian-based city for automobiles. If you've visited these places, I'm sure you have seen the difference. Of course the build of a city is just one aspect (although a big one IMO).

As far as a lack of indoor plumbing in places like Florence...that's not the norm and it's certainly beside the point. I guess because people don't routinely put screens on their windows in Rome that the city isn't all it's cracked up to be...?

Do you believe that Denver is a world-class city? One that can compete on the international stage with the best cities that the world has to offer?
Not yet as far as Denver being world class in the sense you're referring to, but the thread's purpose "Which cities are maturing into World Class" is to identify which cities are heading that direction, not which cities are already there. I think Denver is. Its museum collections have been growing significantly, it's getting denser and the transit is becoming much more multi-modal, it's also very rich, which certainly helps, and it's growing fast. Of the cities the OP mentioned, I think Atlanta had a step up on it until the recovery. Now, I'm not sure whether Atlanta or Denver will reach world class status first. Certainly both are far enough away that a major disaster or financial collapse could prevent them from reaching that, but I think both are on a good trajectory.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:20 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,329,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
He's an idiot and knows he got got. That's why he tried to divert the stats as if people are dumb. Again, try again.
When people post things like "he's an idiot" just because some homer was called out for posing an obviously false claim about Atlanta having low crime, then you know it's troll-time, as seen by the above post.

Atlanta (the city) has higher crime than SF. Atlanta (the metro) has higher crime than SF. Georgia (the state) has higher crime than California. You can call me "an idiot" all you want, fact is you got caught lying, and now resort to childish insults.

To summarize, Atlanta (city and metro and even state) are all high crime, and all higher crime than SF and most major U.S. cities/metros/states. It's one of the most violent cities/metros/states in the U.S.

Here are the official stats-

Atlanta City to SF City- Atlanta has 2x the crime rate and almost 3x the murder rate (and SF is relatively high crime city!)

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Atlanta metro to SF Metro- Atlanta has almost 2x the crime rate and over 2x the murder rate

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...tables/table-6

Georgia state to California state- Georgia has about 50% higher crime rate and 30% higher murder rate

Murder Rates Nationally and By State | Death Penalty Information Center

Now watch the trolling commence...

Old 11-17-2014, 03:25 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,349,257 times
Quote:
When people post things like "he's an idiot" just because some homer was called out for posing an obviously false claim about Atlanta having low crime, then you know it's troll-time, as seen by the above post.

Atlanta (the city) has higher crime than SF. Atlanta (the metro) has higher crime than SF. Georgia (the state) has higher crime than California. You can call me "an idiot" all you want, fact is you got caught lying, and now resort to childish insults.

To summarize, Atlanta (city and metro and even state) are all high crime, and all higher crime than SF and most major U.S. cities/metros/states. It's one of the most violent cities/metros/states in the U.S.

Atlanta City to SF City- Atlanta has 2x the crime rate and almost 3x the murder rate (and SF is relatively high crime city!)

Atlanta metro to SF Metro- Atlanta has almost 2x the crime rate and over 2x the murder rate

FBI — Table 6

Georgia state to California state- Georgia has about 50% higher crime rate and 30% higher murder rate

That poster you called a homer doesn't even like his own city haha so he's not really a homer

Old 11-17-2014, 05:25 PM

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...abledatadecpdf

Based on this, SF's metro Violent crime rate per 100k inhabitants is 550.8. Murder Rate is 6.5

Atlanta's metro is 408.6. Murder rate is 6.1

How is the SF metro area safer in terms of violent crime again?

Plus, you used 2010 data. We are using 2012 data. Again, try again and stop trying to lie and divert stats and play games, you idiot.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:32 PM

It's hard to take people seriously when they try to lie through the skin of their teeth to prove a point...like using 2010 stats when we have the latest 2012 stats lmfaoooooooo.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:

FBI — Table 6

Nola, no trolling. Look at your own table (your second link). For the SF metro, the murder rate is 6.2. For the Atlanta metro, the murder rate is 6.1

What's wrong with you?

Old 11-17-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It's hard to take people seriously when they try to lie through the skin of their teeth to prove a point...like using 2010 stats when we have the latest 2012 stats lmfaoooooooo.
Never mind them using a different table. Atlanta posts a lower homicide rate in the 2010 one also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City