Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 12:02 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
32? Seems like an arbitrary age (I wouldn't know). Or are you more saying it's a Gen Y thing and not a Gen X thing?
TODAYS version of the hipster is more of a GenY thing(logically it would be), although most Hipsters dress in a GenX fashion, and have the same disdain for the mainstream as GenX did(maybe even more hardcore disdain than GenX). Yesterday was Nirvana, today it's Arcade Fire(nevermind, they're too mainstream now). But this Generation still listens to Nirvana, they're still cool ya'know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 12:08 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
TODAYS version of the hipster is more of a GenY thing(logically it would be), although most Hipsters dress in a GenX fashion, and have the same disdain for the mainstream as GenX did(maybe even more hardcore disdain than GenX). Yesterday was Nirvana, today it's Arcade Fire(nevermind, they're too mainstream now). But this Generation still listens to Nirvana, they're still cool ya'know?
Maybe hipsters are just part of the element of this culture that chooses to firmly identify itself as anti-mainstream?

They dress differently, but I don't see how they are all that different from any other counter-culturesque youth movement. They generally pride themselves on being different than their peers.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Maybe hipsters are just part of the element of this culture that chooses to firmly identify itself as anti-mainstream?

They dress differently, but I don't see how they are all that different from any other counter-culturesque youth movement. They generally pride themselves on being different than their peers.
Not too much different than the other counter-cultures. Except they're not trying to change the world, they don't care.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:25 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Quote:
Not too much different than the other counter-cultures. Except they're not trying to change the world, they don't care.
So they're basically goth hippies.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:02 AM

Quote:
So they're basically goth hippies.
Not exactly hippies. They're basically everyone, and no one at the same time.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:26 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:

Oddly my ex wife used to baby-sit for them in the Woodlands TX - funny they were alternative; the Woodlands a very nice area but is about as sterile a suburb as they come. I do like their music though

Old 02-27-2011, 10:52 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
I'd say that SF and NYC are probably the absolute worst hipster scenes in the US. LA isn't quite as bad as you'd think, just because LA culture in general tends to favor more ostenacious consumption. It's still got more of the hair-dyed-black/spooky-glam thing going on than the "I woke up in an alley wearing a vintage tee and put on my bifocals" thing that is all the rage elsewhere.

I lived in Seattle for a year and a half when the current early 90's-retro hipster thing was transitioning into popularity, and have to say that while they're as dumb-looking and acting as hipsters anywhere else, they lack the intensity (and perhaps the means) of NYC/SF hipsters, and are generally relegated to one specific neighborhood (Capitol Hill) so they're easy to avoid. In SF, they have a few areas, and they get around...

The thing that bugs me about the current crop of hipsters is the mock apathy, the over-the-top sarcasm, the general lameness they affect and can't even pull off correctly. They spray paint and write all over everything, even though they can't tag for the life of them. They try to be sardonic, but they're about as funny as Ben Stein. They try to be ironic, but they're only as ironic as American Apparel and MGMT will let them be. The most pathetically consumerist anti-consumer "counterculture" I've seen in my 27 years.

I recall around 1995, there was a movie called "Spad" released. I can't find any info on it online, but, it was released in the wake of Kurt Cobain's suicide by a major motion picture company (Paramount?), about a grunge rock antihero who becomes a celebrity but doesn't want the fame. It was the most contrived, myopic piece of crap, but it seems like it was made specifically to cater to the current crop of 1992-wannabe hipsters: its old, it's vapid, and the actors are dressed like them.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:48 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Savannah GA certainly ranks near the top of US cities for hipsters per capita. Amazing how big the funky / artsy crowd is here.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Oddly my ex wife used to baby-sit for them in the Woodlands TX - funny they were alternative; the Woodlands a very nice area but is about as sterile a suburb as they come. I do like their music though
That's pretty awesome. Yeah, the lead singer and his brother moved to Montreal from the Woodlands, and that's where the band formed.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I'd say that SF and NYC are probably the absolute worst hipster scenes in the US. LA isn't quite as bad as you'd think, just because LA culture in general tends to favor more ostenacious consumption. It's still got more of the hair-dyed-black/spooky-glam thing going on than the "I woke up in an alley wearing a vintage tee and put on my bifocals" thing that is all the rage elsewhere.

I lived in Seattle for a year and a half when the current early 90's-retro hipster thing was transitioning into popularity, and have to say that while they're as dumb-looking and acting as hipsters anywhere else, they lack the intensity (and perhaps the means) of NYC/SF hipsters, and are generally relegated to one specific neighborhood (Capitol Hill) so they're easy to avoid. In SF, they have a few areas, and they get around...

The thing that bugs me about the current crop of hipsters is the mock apathy, the over-the-top sarcasm, the general lameness they affect and can't even pull off correctly. They spray paint and write all over everything, even though they can't tag for the life of them. They try to be sardonic, but they're about as funny as Ben Stein. They try to be ironic, but they're only as ironic as American Apparel and MGMT will let them be. The most pathetically consumerist anti-consumer "counterculture" I've seen in my 27 years.

I recall around 1995, there was a movie called "Spad" released. I can't find any info on it online, but, it was released in the wake of Kurt Cobain's suicide by a major motion picture company (Paramount?), about a grunge rock antihero who becomes a celebrity but doesn't want the fame. It was the most contrived, myopic piece of crap, but it seems like it was made specifically to cater to the current crop of 1992-wannabe hipsters: its old, it's vapid, and the actors are dressed like them.
I love this synopsis. Very interesting and informative. Different generations have different countercultures. And each of them being ironic. But what makes Hipsters better than the others is, they purposely try to be ironic. Our generation loves our ironic tees. But honestly, I think every youth/young adult counterculture post-Baby Boomer era(so basically Xers and Yers) are very similar. "We're anti-conformist!!!" Naaaah!! In the end, we all get labeled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City