Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 09:56 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Yes, but the volumes of each is more similar to Ohio in my opinion.

Posted with TapaTalk
Flat farmlands in PA? LOL. How hard did you have to search to find one?

Probably 60% of Ohio is actual flat farmlands. I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find even one decent sized flat farmland area in PA. And most farms I've seen in PA are small, not the vast prarie-like cornfields of Ohio. Maybe you just have a different standard for flat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 11:34 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,308 times
Lancaster area is pretty flat.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-06-2013, 01:20 PM

213 posts, read 322,718 times
Western Pennsylvania without question is more similar to Eastern Ohio. The rest of Pennsylvania is a combination of Upstate New York and Maryland (excluding Southern Maryland).

Old 07-27-2023, 08:41 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,117,427 times
Lancaster County stands out the most... Dutch, Amish and other Mennonite communities settled in one specific region. The area is pretty distinct there's really no equivalent in either state. Something else to consider that sets PA apart is the amount of Polish ancestry.

Old 07-28-2023, 04:26 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Lancaster County stands out the most... Dutch, Amish and other Mennonite communities settled in one specific region. The area is pretty distinct there's really no equivalent in either state. Something else to consider that sets PA apart is the amount of Polish ancestry.

That's not exactly true. The Amish is something PA and Ohio do have in common. List of U.S. states by Amish population

Old 07-28-2023, 06:55 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
That's not exactly true. The Amish is something PA and Ohio do have in common. List of U.S. states by Amish population
The Amish have certainly migrated to other states (I know there's a number in Upstate NY, and some have even gone as far as Maine!) But the Lancaster, PA Amish and Mennonites are super-OG. Very deep roots in that area since the days of the Anabaptists arriving from Europe in the 1700s. It's more fundamental to the identity of Lancaster County than anywhere else in the US, for sure.

Old 07-28-2023, 07:16 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
It depends.

Western Pennsylvania is more like Ohio. Eastern Pennsylvania is more like Maryland.
This..... End of thread.

Old 07-28-2023, 01:34 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
This..... End of thread.

This doesn't answer the question of the thread . Which is more like PA as a whole, Maryland or Ohio?

Maryland probably is because western Maryland is a lot like Western/Northern PA, and Eastern Maryland similar to southeastern PA. But the majority of Ohio, is not like most of PA. Only the eastern 1/3 of Ohio resembles PA much at all. middle and western Ohio (which is most of the state) have little in common with any of PA.

Old 07-31-2023, 01:25 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,117,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
The Amish have certainly migrated to other states (I know there's a number in Upstate NY, and some have even gone as far as Maine!) But the Lancaster, PA Amish and Mennonites are super-OG. Very deep roots in that area since the days of the Anabaptists arriving from Europe in the 1700s. It's more fundamental to the identity of Lancaster County than anywhere else in the US, for sure.
I forgot to mention that German heritage is evident in the foods and beer throughout the whole state. Jzier

Old 07-31-2023, 01:56 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 6 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 976,625 times
Pennsylvania is sort of like if you mixed mostly New York, with a bit of West Virginia, together in a test tube.

Neither Ohio nor Maryland are really like PA in my opinion. PA is most like New York, just without as large of a megacity. And some rural parts of PA outside of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh and other cities, can be like West Virginia in terms of Appalachia/rural interior areas.

The main thing is that PA has two *major* urban cities, and a bunch of small (but mighty) cities in between.

Ohio is more Midwestern and probably faces west. Maryland faces South (but is itself not Southern), in my opinion. Pennsylvania faces east toward NY.

The part of PA that is like Ohio is Erie, which by itself is probably the most black sheep part of PA anyway (being so different from the rest of the state).

If you twisted my arm and demanded an answer, I guess I would say PA is slightly more similar to Maryland. Only because it seems like PA has more business ties and connections to Maryland due to its proximity. Ohio is really quite far from eastern PA, whereas most of PA’s population is only 2 hours (or less) from Maryland (only Scranton and Erie are not).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City