Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 06:30 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It's not the DC CSA, it is the Baltimore-Washington CSA. You can flip it how you want, but Baltimore is the OTHER prominent name in this designation.
Sure, if you want to do it by alphabetical order. It doesn't make a difference to me, because I think CSAs are generally a bit too incoherent to count for much. I do like it more when there's a nice general term rather than just something like Greater ___ or the ___ metropolitan area. However, since this is about definitions, I get the idea that someone would take the DC CSA at face value along with the ten million park and say that given current CSA populations and growth rates, DC CSA will hit ten million before the other two CSAs closing in on ten million (SF and Chicago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This country as big as it is, was not built to have so many "mega cities" more so than multiple major metropolises with large a suburban area. Mega cities normally form in countries where there is only a couple major metros in the whole nation save for China. Most foreign mega cities urban area is so dense and strong that many of them literally feel like people are piled on top of each other because it's so dense. Many of America's largest cities are dense but not as urbanized or vast as compared to mega cities of the world like Shanghai, Manila, Bangkok, or Lagos. America is full of big ole metro areas with a lot of suburban sprawl and medium size city proper.
Yea, there were a lot of policies that subsidized further and further sprawl. I greatly dislike it, though that's my preference. It's economically wasteful, ecologically harmful compared to other development patterns, and simply makes for relatively boring cities in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 06:53 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sure, if you want to do it by alphabetical order. It doesn't make a difference to me, because I think CSAs are generally a bit too incoherent to count for much. I do like it more when there's a nice general term rather than just something like Greater ___ or the ___ metropolitan area. However, since this is about definitions, I get the idea that someone would take the DC CSA at face value along with the ten million park and say that given current CSA populations and growth rates, DC CSA will hit ten million before the other two CSAs closing in on ten million (SF and Chicago).

Yea, there were a lot of policies that subsidized further and further sprawl. I greatly dislike it, though that's my preference. It's economically wasteful, ecologically harmful compared to other development patterns, and simply makes for relatively boring cities in my opinion.
Are you blatantly omitting Baltimore from your CSA designation?

Last edited by KodeBlue; 06-08-2019 at 07:27 PM..

Old 06-08-2019, 09:50 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Are you blatantly omitting Baltimore from your CSA designation?
Don't really care what you call it, no? I guess I can type the full OMB designation of Washington–Baltimore–Arlington, DC–MD–VA–WV–PA Combined Statistical Area, but the thing is a mouthful. People who know what a CSA is in the first place know what's meant if the reference is to a DC or Washington CSA and most likely a Baltimore CSA as well.

Regardless, there needs to be a better regional transportation options connecting the region as a whole that runs frequently and isn't horribly expensive for DC CSA, in my view, to make sense as a megacity if at 10 million people. CSAs simply don't lend themselves to that, so I don't think DC is very close at all nor do I agree with the idea of using CSAs as where the number count is derived.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:29 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Washington-Baltimore isn't too long. If we are going to refer to the CSA as one region, Baltimore's population is at least 85% of Washington's, which is a higher percentage than Fort Worth's to Dallas [67%], Saint Paul's to Minneapolis [72%], Norfolk to Virginia Beach [54%], and San Bernardino's to Riverside [65%].

Old 06-09-2019, 12:43 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Washington-Baltimore isn't too long. If we are going to refer to the CSA as one region, Baltimore's population is at least 85% of Washington's, which is a higher percentage than Fort Worth's to Dallas [67%], Saint Paul's to Minneapolis [72%], Norfolk to Virginia Beach [54%], and San Bernardino's to Riverside [65%].
Closer to 98%: 619k for Baltimore, 633k for Washington.

And what this tells me as well is that Baltimore's fortunes continue to decline while Washington has rebounded. In 1980, Baltimore had more than 800,000 residents and Washington had dipped below 600,000.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:05 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Greater Chicago is hardly "closing in" on 10 million ,considering it's losing population.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:10 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Chicago is at least an honorary megacity in my book. Its core is huge and urban. Also it's grandfathered in from when its 9-something population ranked much higher.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:18 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
I agree that Chicago is the closest thing to a mega city outside of NYC and LA.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:30 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Closer to 98%: 619k for Baltimore, 633k for Washington.

And what this tells me as well is that Baltimore's fortunes continue to decline while Washington has rebounded. In 1980, Baltimore had more than 800,000 residents and Washington had dipped below 600,000.
DC is 100k larger than Baltimore City now, your numbers are outdated.

DC- 702k

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_D.C.

Baltimore City- 602k

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore

DC is the 20th largest city in the country, Baltimore is the 30th.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._by_population

Old 06-09-2019, 06:04 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
You mean it was 11 months ago. Your numbers are also outdated. Nobody counts today's figures in real time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City