Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 AM

235 posts, read 331,587 times

Advertisements

I'm comtemplating a move away from the Triangle region of Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill. As part of my analysis of where to go, I'm trying to gain some perspective on the area I currently live.

What city or regions in the US would you say the Triangle is similar to? I'm having a hard time finding comprable areas because the region is unusual (esp. in the southeast) given how liberal durham/chapel hill are, how educated the region is, and how spread out the region is (otherwise I think it'd be comparable to Austin maybe).

I think there are cities/regions that are similar but they are either much bigger or just one principle city. Maybe Austin? Minneapolis-St. Paul? Anywhere I'm leaving out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 08:37 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Why would you want to move away from one place to another place just like it?!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:40 AM

235 posts, read 331,587 times
I'm not saying I want to move to somewhere exactly like it. I'm just curious as to what area's it's most similar to. That might provide some perspective on if i'd want to move somewhere more similar or possibly somewhere very different.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:13 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Austin comes to mind first and foremost.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:48 AM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Austin comes to mind first and foremost.
Disagree completely. Look at the downtown building boom in Austin and the whole hipster draw along with the music scene. Raleigh/Durham doesn't have anything like that on a scale that Austin does.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:49 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
The dynamics of the triangle as a "region" is truly unique. Most metro areas are anchored by a centralized city/downtown area. The Triangle being anchored by a giant research park and three major research universities (Which are all at opposing "points" of the "triangle") is something that you don't really find anywhere else. I think if you are talking about a left-leaning state-capital region with a highly educated population/high-tech economy in an otherwise more conservative state....the closest would be Austin, TX for sure. Runner's up may be the Twin Cities, MN and Columbus, OH.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:42 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Disagree completely. Look at the downtown building boom in Austin and the whole hipster draw along with the music scene. Raleigh/Durham doesn't have anything like that on a scale that Austin does.
Aside from the downtown building boom in Austin, everything else is the same actually. The Triangle has its own hipster draw and our music scene is on par with Austin's. Both are major tech centers. Both are progressive enclaves in conservative southern states.

It is likely that Raleigh and Durham will experience downtown building booms similar to Austin in the future. Raleigh was on the verge of getting one; there were a lot of planned projects that got canceled, scaled back, and delayed because of the recession. I am fairly confident that downtown Raleigh, at the very least, will pick up steam in the coming years.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:12 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I didn't say they were clones. But the high tech economy, state capital status, liberal political environment, and higher ed scene makes them quite similar.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Aside from the downtown building boom in Austin, everything else is the same actually. The Triangle has its own hipster draw and our music scene is on par with Austin's. Both are major tech centers. Both are progressive enclaves in conservative southern states.

It is likely that Raleigh and Durham will experience downtown building booms similar to Austin in the future. Raleigh was on the verge of getting one; there were a lot of planned projects that got canceled, scaled back, and delayed because of the recession. I am fairly confident that downtown Raleigh, at the very least, will pick up steam in the coming years.
Agreed. Austin is the first to come to mind.
Lots of similarities:
  • State Capital
  • Technology Center
  • Insane Growth
  • University town
  • Bluest/most liberal area of respective state
  • Highly educated
  • CSAs are similar size

Being a multi-core metro is a differentiator with the Triangle. However, as the Triangle grows, more and more of the growth is focused on Raleigh/Wake County. So, the future might provide a stronger sense of a central core in Raleigh. I suspect that Raleigh will experience (this decade) the sort of rapid core development that some perceive as a differentiator from Austin.

Some other areas that come to mind but on a different scale are the Twin Cities and Denver/Boulder. Both of these areas combine education, state government and some parallel industry and growth patterns.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:28 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,752 times
Maybe Northern Virginia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City