Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Raleigh-Durham-Chappel Hill but I just spent the last hour cheking it out on google streetview. I'm not sure if that is a good basis of knowledge but it seems like the Twin Cities city neighborhoods are significantly older, denser and more urban which is a refleciton of the fact that the Twin Cities have been a major metro since the late 19th century. However the city neighborhoods in Raleigh do look a lot like the Twin Cities older and more urban inner suburbs like Bloomington, Richfield, Hopkins and Edina. I can't speak to the cultural differences or similarities.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 12-10-2012 at 07:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 09:55 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I've never been to Raleigh-Durham-Chappel Hill but I just spent the last hour cheking it out on google streetview. I'm not sure if that is a good basis of knowledge but it seems like the Twin Cities city neighborhoods are significantly older, denser and more urban which is a refleciton of the fact that the Twin Cities have been a major metro since the late 19th century. However the city neighborhoods in Raleigh do look a lot like the Twin Cities older and more urban inner suburbs like Bloomington, Richfield, Hopkins and Edina. I can't speak to the cultural differences or similarities.
You are correct. This is why the Raleigh is area is more like Austin. Enough can't be said for WHEN an area is/was developed.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Maybe Northern Virginia
There are definitely parts of the Triangle that feel like NOVA. For example, Cary feels similar to places like Herndon and Reston.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 PM

388 posts, read 1,016,911 times
Just a fun fact, Raleigh and Nashville have the exact same racial demographics.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
Just a fun fact, Raleigh and Nashville have the exact same racial demographics.
Are you comparing cities, counties, MSA's or CSA's? I want to go look.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,804 times
I think Nashville, Austin, Raleigh/Triangle, Northern Virginia and Charlotte all share a good many characteristics.

They are all similar sizes and more or less in the south. All have educated populations and have seen significant growth in the last twenty years. All have a fairly high rate of transplants, especially from the northeast. I believe many people in the northeast would like to move south (for jobs, cost of living and climate), but some are anxious about moving to the "deep" south, so many opt for Northern Virginia or North Carolina.

Nashville, Austin, and Raleigh are all state capitals with strong influence from universities. Their infrastructure is similar in that there is a downtown, but things tend to spread out a bit. Public transportation needs improvement in all of those places. Each of those cities is more liberal than the state in which they are located. Nashville and Austin obviously have a stronger music scene.

Northern Virginia is similar to Raleigh/Triangle area in that there are several population clusters spread around.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:17 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
The Triangle's closest "twin" is the NC Triad region (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point).

Old 12-11-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The Triangle's closest "twin" is the NC Triad region (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point).
..by the fact that both are multi-core and somewhat similar sizes (for now) but that's where the mot of the similarities end.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:48 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Yeah the Triad and Triangle are not that similar culturally/economically/demographically. Basically just the 3 core cities part like rnc2mbfl mentioned. Even population-wise...the Triangle is a decent amount bigger than the Triad.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Yeah the Triad and Triangle are not that similar culturally/economically/demographically. Basically just the 3 core cities part like rnc2mbfl mentioned. Even population-wise...the Triangle is a decent amount bigger than the Triad.
They used to be more similar in size. Frankly, the Triad used to be larger. In the last 4 decades, the Triangle's growth has outpaced the Triad and is now almost 200,000 larger. By decade's end, the Triangle will most likely more than double that delta. I wouldn't be surprised to see a half million spread between the two by then. Nonetheless, population isn't the only factor and wouldn't alone disqualify a comparison. That said, total population is yet another way in which the Triangle is similar to Austin. Of course, this is comparing CSA's since the Triangle was split into two MSA's ten years ago. On that basis, the two CSAs are ranked next to each other with Austin having ~31K more people.

I lived in Texas in the 90s on an assignment and upon my first trip to Austin I immediately felt the similarities to the Triangle. Not that there aren't differences....there are. For me, it's like talking a recipe and then seasoning it to taste for different locales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City