Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 11:14 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlitchil View Post
i think orlando is better bicause it has more choices
more choices of...Disney theme parks? Do people really go to theme parks that often? I know I was never interested in them while living in Florida. It certainly wouldn't be a perk. Being so far inland in FL would also not be a perk. If one is to go to FL I would at least suggest being closer to the beach, for one well, they are nice beaches if you enjoy that, two, its not as hot by the coast, a good 4-5 degrees cooler plus you have the ocean breeze. Speaking as a former Floridian (A real one who was born and raised, not a transplant), Orlando and central FL and that whole i75 corridor, turning into the turnpike through the middle of the state in general would be one of my last choices there to live. The perks to me of FL living are the coastal areas, not just the water, but the immediate 5-10 mile barrier, inlets, coastal waterways, fresh seafood, different vibe etc.. The landscape/wildlife/weather/lifestyle there is just different than inland FL. The whole FL lifestyle that many people enjoy and refer to is generally near the coast, whether it be South FL(largest metro) Tampa Bay/St Pete (#2 largest metro) , Jacksonville (#4), north fl emerald coast (pensacola/destin/panama city), the FL Keys, Bradenton-Sarasota, Ft Myers, Cape Coral, Naples not really the Orlando/Central FL area. Anyway just another opinion of somebody who lived in FL for over 20 years.

Last edited by grapico; 12-01-2010 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 11:59 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,386 times
I love Orlando, but I can't really recommend it over Chicago based on your criteria. It really depends on what you like. For a young person, downtown Orlando offers excellent nightlife. Bars and clubs are plentiful downtown, are in a walkable distance to each other, and people are very attractive and in good shape. However, the city lacks severely in cultural and urban amenities compared to a city like Chicago, as most cities do. Also, there will be less young professionals here as the service industry is so prevalent. There are plenty of YPs here, like myself, but not nearly as much as Chicago. Chicago is loaded with everything a big city should offer. Orlando is smaller and just getting its feet wet, but maturing quickly. The downtown is small, but walkable and has beautiful condos and historic neighborhoods surrounding Lake Eola.

That said, Orlando is the best place for a young person in the state IMO. The scene here caters to 20-somethings, and unless you are loaded it is better than Miami which is far too expensive to live the dream lifestyle it promotes. Tampa is fun too, but it's a bit older population-wise. In the dead of summer, there is nowhere to hide in Florida, and the coast with its slight breeze advantage is hardly a recourse. However, the winters in Orlando are the best. Warm, dry afternoons and cool evenings. The coastal cities in Florida are almost always humid, even in the winter.

Last edited by Pete C; 12-01-2010 at 12:14 PM..

Old 12-01-2010, 12:41 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times
This is me speaking from inexperience with Orlando. Can people live in downtown Orlando and walk to the bars, restaurants, and clubs?

Old 12-01-2010, 12:54 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
One of the easiest choices on City-Data.

Chicago, with its world-class options at a reasonable cost, is the only way to go here..

Old 12-01-2010, 01:23 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
This is me speaking from inexperience with Orlando. Can people live in downtown Orlando and walk to the bars, restaurants, and clubs?
Definitely...it's very walkable. Just to the east of downtown are Thornton Park and Eola Heights. These are historic neighborhoods with older homes and new mid/high-rise condos in a pretty setting around Lake Eola. Downtown is just a few blocks from either of these neighborhoods. Thornton Park itself has its own restaurants, boutiques, and small bars as well. There are also condos directly downtown for people that want nightlife at their doorstep.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Definitely...it's very walkable. Just to the east of downtown are Thornton Park and Eola Heights. These are historic neighborhoods with older homes and new mid/high-rise condos in a pretty setting around Lake Eola. Downtown is just a few blocks from either of these neighborhoods. Thornton Park itself has its own restaurants, boutiques, and small bars as well. There are also condos directly downtown for people that want nightlife at their doorstep.
very walkable in comparison to...? Also you would need a car + insurance + gas in Orlando, otherwise you'd probably be a social pariah. Something to consider as an added cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
They will also have much more crime, many more run down and dangerous areas of town, more pollution, more traffic, etc.
Orlando isn't exactly a gem on crime itself, I think you are much more likely to have random crime in Orlando vs Chicago where crime is isolated. Sure the worst of the worst is going to be in Chicago, as well as the best of the best. Traffic can be completely avoided, you need not even have a car. Also pollution and air quality is arguably better in Chicago as it is generally breezy with fresh air coming in off the jet stream and the lake. vs Orlando which is far inland off body of water and is often stagnant air, leading to more air pollution, not necessarily in the form of industry, but certainly in pollen, weeds, etc.

Last edited by grapico; 12-01-2010 at 01:40 PM..

Old 12-01-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
So it's not like you have to drive everywhere to have a social life. I hate cities like that, so good to know Orlando is not one of them.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
So it's not like you have to drive everywhere to have a social life. I hate cities like that, so good to know Orlando is not one of them.
The walkable aspects of Orlando are being far overstated, especially in a comparison thread vs Chicago... You could technically be "walkable" in tons of cities living downtown, but then you'd be isolated to those areas.

Let me clarify and put things in perspective for the casual observer... because opinions are like you know what. Though I do think my opinion on at least this matter is more correct and in line with actual data.

Orlando has a walkscore of 51 serving a population of 230 thousand, similar to Chicago suburban scores such as Arlington Heights (53) Belleville (51), Aurora (49), Schaumburg (51), Lisle (51). Chicago has a walkscore of 74 serving 2.9 Million w/ northside neighborhoods approaching 100.

13% of Orlando residents have a Walk Score of 70 or above. ~30 Thousand people
62% of Chicago residents have a Walk Score of 70 or above. ~1.8 Million

Over 80 (Very good walkability)

The only two areas in Orlando with walk score over 80 are the CBD and South Eola, with a grand total of 1492 thousand people

To further put this in perspective, even Atlanta just to put a "city in between" Chicago and Orlando, and is often called out as not being that urban or walkable, say compared to Chicago, still serves over 40,000 people with a walkscore over 80 and 112,000 over 70...

Chicago has 20 areas over 80, totaling 1,022,798 million people

Looking at many cities and knowing the neighborhood areas, coming from an urban dweller, I'd say, 90 having a car would be a headache, over 80 would be the pretty manageable to live without a car, 70 while walkable you you'd have to seriously plan on public transportation and a car would be pretty good a lot of the time, 60's you'd want a car for many things.

I.E. in Chicago over 90's would be...
loop near north lincoln park lake view edgewater uptown rogers park

80's would be...
near south side
west town
hyde park
logan square
north center
lincoln square
lower west side
armour square
avondale
albany park
near west side
irving park
bridgeport

I personally prefer the 80s areas, not as congested, but still walkable.

Last edited by grapico; 12-01-2010 at 02:41 PM..

Old 12-01-2010, 01:44 PM

Yea that's what I figured. Though I suppose if someone lived in downtown Orlando and worked there, they could have their nightlife there.

Some cities that isn't possible, particularly in the south and midwest (outside the major cities like ours). The nightlife is really spread out and far from residential and work.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:59 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times
Chicago for sure. It's a magnet for young professionals and is full of active neighborhoods they flock to. Also, you don't need a car in Chicago if you will be working downtown - something more to consider with the cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City