Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 02:37 PM

8 posts, read 18,928 times

Advertisements

I am graduating from college with a business degree in May and I am 22 years old. I have received job offers from companies in Chicago and Orlando. My question is: Which is the better city for a young professional to live in?

The salary in Chicago is $55,000 and I realize that cost of living is quite high there. The salary in Orland is $52,000 and I realize there is no state income tax? Obvously, I think my money would go a lot farther in Orlando than it would in Chicago. But at the same time, I am young/single and this is the time to live in a world-class city (Chicago).

If you were 23 years old and getting into the business world, where would you rather be? This is in terms of social life, affordability, weather, and everything else that goes into a city. I am looking for a city with a lot of young professionals to meet and make friends with.

My concerns with Chicago is that it is expensive and there is very harsh cold weather. My concerns with Orlando is that it is a second tier city (in my mind) and is very hot all year round.

Anyone who has any experience with these cities, your opinion is welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 03:01 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
The taxes and cost of living are higher in Chicago...but they're not that bad. Your dollar will still go further in Chicago than it would in places like SF, LA, Boston, NYC, or DC. Depending on your industry, there is probably more job growth opportunity in Chicago.

In terms of the cities themselves, Chicago blows Orlando out of the water in my opinion. There are some amazing neighborhoods in Chicago for young professionals. It's a huge, exciting, cool city...it's just...I don't know, I love Chicago. If you haven't been, I'd highly recommend visiting. I think you'll understand better once you experience it yourself.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:02 PM

442 posts, read 828,718 times
It depends on the fields you are in. Chicago overall is going to be the superior choice long term in most cases but it also depends on your industry. Also keep in mind that if Orlando and it's nightlife and attractions don't appeal you can just spend a few weekends in Miami. Also keep in mind you would be a king with that salary in Orlando and probably get more girls and have much more disposable income. Chicago would give you more of a desnse cosmo feel and while the money won't stretch as far there will be more options in lifestyle.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:36 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Ya but why would you want to move to Orlando if its appeal was "you can spend a few weekends in Miami"? You can do that if you moved to Chicago too.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:40 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
For young professionals? Straight up Chicago. It's the 3rd largest corporate base in America only after New York City & Bay Area.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:44 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,728,515 times
For someone post college, Chicago offers a better living environment. Sure it's cold and the cost of living is higher than Orlando, but it is the best opportunity for someone to live in a world class city at a much smaller cost than NYC, DC, Boston, and SF.

Sure the weather is bad, but depending on your industry, offers the best place for advancement. There are tons of other post college types in Chicago. For right now, your best option is Chicago. Chicago is much harder to break into once you have a family. Orlando is much easier if you have a family due to the costs of buying a home.

I do know people who have left Chicago for Orlando due to the weather and small business climate. Those who have left tend to be early 30s. They are not looking for tons of bars and clubs anymore. Orlando is a fine city, I never got much into it, but there is still stuff to do.

The choice boils down to professional and social life for you right now. Maybe in 5 years you will want to move, and after working at a Chicago business, that will open more doors for you than if you were in Orlando.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:06 PM

442 posts, read 828,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Ya but why would you want to move to Orlando if its appeal was "you can spend a few weekends in Miami"? You can do that if you moved to Chicago too.
Aside from the fact that Miami is a day trip away from Orlando that was not meant to be "the appeal". I mentioned many other reasons.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:28 PM

758 posts, read 1,962,183 times
Chicago is a pretty poor choice right now, because it has, by far, the highest job losses in the nation right now.

Chicago lost about 70,000 private sector jobs in the last 12 months. The second worst city, Detroit, lost about 30,000 jobs.

So unless you have a job lined up, Chicago would be a poor choice.

Orlando has a much healthier economy.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:31 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,927,929 times
Much more opportunity in a city like Chicago.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:36 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,728,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Chicago is a pretty poor choice right now, because it has, by far, the highest job losses in the nation right now.

Chicago lost about 70,000 private sector jobs in the last 12 months. The second worst city, Detroit, lost about 30,000 jobs.

So unless you have a job lined up, Chicago would be a poor choice.

Orlando has a much healthier economy.
Don't you mean Chicago lost 70,000 private sector jobs a month not annually? This would go together with your previous 300 posts on the subject.

The OP said he had a job offer anyway. So that would make it 69,999 jobs lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City