Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Seattle all the way! 193 52.02%
Philadelphia all the way! 153 41.24%
Other (Please specify) 25 6.74%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:03 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
I'm sorry, but Seattle is the better beer-producing City by a mile.
I wasn't discussing beer production. I was talking about beer availability.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:04 PM

104 posts, read 130,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I like Seattle a whole lot more than Portland.
Me too!

Old 03-06-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I don't know if it says more about your mental state or how Philly can be very emotionally polarizing, that you feel this way from your half-daytrip to the city and visit to the Liberty Bell LOL.

Anyway, Seattle VS Philadelphia? No contest, Philadelphia.

I would love to live out West in the future, but Seattle is not even in the back of my mind as a place to live or even visit to be honest. It seems even more isolated than other Western cities and the Weather is terrible, maybe the worst in the Country. It just seems like a very depressing place IMO. The city is dominated by non-ethnic Whites and Asians, and there are very few children, which only adds to the "soulless" aspect of it.

Beside my own negative impression of Seattle, compared to Philadelphia it also is lacking in Public Transit, Urbanity/Walkability, Affordability, Nightlife, Sports, current Music/Arts scene and a local culture/local traditions. All things I deem very important in a complete city.
Live in Philly, love Seattle and have taken many trips to the area. Never had a problem getting anywhere in Seattle on public transit.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:25 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,141,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Just to be clear, I'm not saying Philadelphia has the best bars. I'm not saying Philadelphia is the best at producing beer. I'm not saying it has the best beer-drinking culture. I'm saying that when you consider all factors, it's one of the best cities for availability of beer.
Unfortunately, I do realize that's what your saying. I have all along.

I'm saying it's your opinion .... just like you're complaining vociferously about others' opinions on what's better.

And given the way that the Philadelphia bunch on this message board seem to think that Philadelphia is better than anywhere possible ... your opinion doesn't really hold much water.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
It seems like you would have people believe that half the metro is covered in these "slum lands" as you call them. When looking at the metro, the "slum lands" are relatively small in the grand scheme of things. Even when looking at the city itself, the ghetto areas make up about 35% of the city, which is hardly the majority.

You act like you are affected by these "slum lands" in any way sitting in your pretty little suburban home in Newtown Square.
Which isn't even in Philly. Prefer to hear opinions from people who live in the city, not the surrounding area's, who only come to visit and see the nicer area's. I have spent a great deal of my life in Philly and some parts I love and some I hate extremely. I've been to Seattle and the surrounding area's 5 times and would have to choose that. I actually prefer the Olympic Penninsula which is about 3 hours from the city and some of the towns there only get .8 of an inch more rain per year and the winters are much more tolerable weatherwise. As for Seattle itself, I've visited many different sections and liked them all. I can't say that for Philly. Food out there is delicious and I'm a foodie who grew up in South Philly. Everyone I met there was nice and friendly. I even had a total stranger lend me her cell phone when my battery died and I got separated from my friends. Looking forward to the day, which is quickly approaching, when my son is old enough to live on is own (altho he is welcome to come, but doesn't want to) so I can be out there permanently.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:38 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post

I'm saying it's your opinion .... just like you're complaining vociferously about others' opinions on what's better.

And given the way that the Philadelphia bunch on this message board seem to think that Philadelphia is better than anywhere possible ... your opinion doesn't really hold much water.
I was complaining vociferously?

I have problems with Travel & Leisure. For one, there was a wild swing in rankings from 2011 to 2012. That hardly seems accurate. Second, there are things that get criminally underrated, e.g. Miami for coffee (keep in mind that they separate coffee and cafes--Miami does well in the former and awful in the latter). But there's certainly plenty from that site to cherrypick and make Philadelphia look awesome. (I think it was in the top 3 or 4 cities in the country in 2011). So, when I said I had a problem with it, it was because of principle, not convenience

What I was doing was making a case for Philadelphia as a great beer city. I thought I did it pretty civilly. I mean, you asked for something that was an opinion poll. I provided a combination of expert opinions and some facts (although, I don't have the facts on the Philadelphia port in front of me, unfortunately).

I'm not sure I qualify as one of the Philadelphia bunch, despite being originally from Philadelphia. Two reasons. One, I've argued with them in the past. Two, I certainly don't think Philadelphia is better than anywhere else--certainly not in all things. There are some things Philadelphia does really well (namely: art, food, beer), but there are things other cities do better. In this thread, I've said Seattle does things better than Philadelphia. I think I'm being quite fair.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post

so Philadelphia isn't among the top cities in the US for the availability of different types of beer? I don't get what you're saying, the number of beers varieties available in a city isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of arithmetic.

I'm not saying that pgm has definitively shown that more companies distribute beer in philadelphia than seattle... but I don't think he was saying that either. He was simply saying a lot of companies distribute their beer here, even those who normally don't to other u.s or east coast cities, making philadelphia a great place to live if you have eclectic and wide ranging beer tastes. what's the issue?

Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
You call University City part of dt even though a highway and river seperate the two? I don't see it as anymore connected as First Hill and Capitol Hill to dt Seattle. Glad to see all the projects in Philly. As far as density I can't argue there but honestly I love how Seattle is dense but not too dense. I also like the fact that its density drops off as you leave dt and Capitol Hill especially heading east. For example, take Madison St heading east. You will ride thru peaks and valleys with awesome views. You'll go thru cool hoods like Madison Valley with its quaint shops, the Arboretum, Washington Park with its beautiful grand old homes. Then you will come to an end in beautiful Madison Park which sits on beautiful Lake Washington with more cool shops and restaurants. And the views of the Cascades and Mt Rainier are unbelieveable.
University city is part of west philly, not center city no matter how real estate people package it,

Old 03-06-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
Come on. Philly skyline is way smaller than Seattle's and not as interesting.
And the Philly pictures only show center city and old city, where the Seattle pics show other area than downtown. Show some pics of K&A or North Philly, so people can get a more complete picture of the city.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
United States' Rainiest Cities - Current Results

Out of 365 days in a year, it rains on average 149 of those days in Seattle.

Seattle also only gets 43% sunshine yearly

Worst Weather Cities in the United States - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

It doesn't dip below freezing in Philadelphia either. It may have one or two days so far this year.. but it is currently 57 degrees and sunny.

Sorry but I'll take three months of 40 and 50 degree weather than the rest of the year nice over Seattle's weather any day. Guess what.. it's sunny here. Wouldn't you like to see that?
It doesn't dip below freezing in Philly? Maybe not as much in the last 2 years, altho it has. But in almost 50 years of living here, it has dipped below freezing many, many times often for weeks on end..not to mention the 25+ inch snow storms every couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City