Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:42 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,885,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
Why it should be even? Instead of worrying about the distirbution of wealth, which in my opinion is a secondary issue, we should be worrying about the disctribution of education. Education has been proven as a best vehicle for sustained social upward movement anywhere. Level the educational field and the distribution of wealth will follow.
Because a more even distribution of jobs creates a more even distribution of wealth across the US. Wealth controls the quality and health of everything from education to public transportation to great retail options, etc.

Take the rust belt for example. When this country manufactured its own goods (steel, automobiles, etc.), the amount of wealth in this country catapulted, along with the quality of education to the quality of roads/trains/etc. Now there are many cities in the rust belt that have to stop road construction, close schools, etc because they're struggling financially. There aren't enough taxpayers to pay for what the city needs or wants, and having a city like NYC be strong does little-to-nothing for other in-state cities like Buffalo, Syracuse and Rochester. The generation of local wealth by private industry returns good education and infrastructure for that city.

And just to be clear, I am NOT for the re-distribution of wealth. I'm for people earning their keep, but would just prefer that it doesn't happen in select locations around the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 09:46 PM

152 posts, read 251,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Because a more even distribution of jobs creates a more even distribution of wealth across the US. Wealth controls the quality and health of everything from education to public transportation to great retail options, etc.

And just to be clear, I am NOT for the re-distribution of wealth. I'm for people earning their keep, but would just prefer that it doesn't happen in select locations around the country.
But distribution of jobs is contingent on distribution of education. You can't build a software comopany where you dont have software engineers. A lot of people in US forgets that education is an investment. Unless Florida invests and improve its education system it is bound to be a poor state with milions of low paying hospitality jobs and not much besides that.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:51 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,977,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I've never thought it through before responding to this thread, and it's a rather cynical analysis, but losing a large percentage of retirees might actually be good for a state. The people who remain are interested in future growth, not merely maintaining the value of a fixed-income.

Having lived in the Twin Cities for a few years, I know that the most influential political constituency in Minnesota is suburban families with children. They're the voters who really decide elections. Consequently education, social services, lifestyle amenities (things like parks and bike paths) and culture are very well funded. Also, the major corporations (like 3M, Target, Best Buy, US Bank, General Mills) are extremely generous patrons of the arts and education. They know that if they want to attract and keep top talent, the Twin Cities have to be attractive to well-educated professionals.

Seattle, San Francisco and Boston have a similar political dynamic.
It may very well be the best thing for Florida.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:00 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,977,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Don't worry, Florida has so much potential for the future, I'm confident about this state.Apparently a medical sector is in development, and a good film industry
They have a huge biomedical lab down there from Scripps, Orlando's medical field is buzzing also. I don't think people realize how much Orlando's job sector is growing and diversifying. I think people have a slightly blurred vision of what's going on down there. People think doom and gloom, when it's really boom and bust, and boom again. Florida is quietly building up it's medical sector.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:19 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,021,706 times
Miami is based a lot on tourism. There are a few big time industries like International trade, a bit of international banking and aviation but besides for that Miami does not have much. Banking, Trade and Aviation suffer a lot with bad economies just like tourism does. Miami is also the youngest of all those cities so not a large amount of older companies being based there etc.. Besides for Burger, some cruise lines, ryder systems I cant think of any large companies that are based in Miami. A lot of regional hqs for Latin American in Miami though.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Miami is based a lot on tourism. There are a few big time industries like International trade, a bit of international banking and aviation but besides for that Miami does not have much. Banking, Trade and Aviation suffer a lot with bad economies just like tourism does. Miami is also the youngest of all those cities so not a large amount of older companies being based there etc.. Besides for Burger, some cruise lines, ryder systems I cant think of any large companies that are based in Miami. A lot of regional hqs for Latin American in Miami though.
Tourism is great. Its a renewable resource on its impact on environment can be minimalized. It takes however only two bad weather seasons, how about this snow season in a middle of the season now, to take this economy down. One thinkg I'd really see right now in Florida are some manufacturing jobs. Its hard to believe but not much is actually made in South Florida.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:43 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,885,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
But distribution of jobs is contingent on distribution of education. You can't build a software comopany where you dont have software engineers. A lot of people in US forgets that education is an investment. Unless Florida invests and improve its education system it is bound to be a poor state with milions of low paying hospitality jobs and not much besides that.
Sounds like we're in a chicken and egg discussion Without knowing a ton on the topic, my impression is that good schools came from prevalent labor jobs in the 19th and 20th centuries, thus creating wealth and tax dollars for such. Those labor jobs didn't require a high level of education, but that world seems to be gone for the US.

If we're saying that a local economy of high-paying jobs are located in select cities, then I think that the re-investment into the education system won't happen evenly (the South used to have poor schools because of this). That's besides the fact that education has taken a back seat in this country (which is probably a bigger issue than distribution of good jobs), and it's going to affect the up-coming generations. We've fallen behind other countries in the world, and it's going to show this century.

In any event, I agree with what you're saying about education.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:43 AM

56 posts, read 53,039 times
Quote:
Sounds like we're in a chicken and egg discussion Without knowing a ton on the topic, my impression is that good schools came from prevalent labor jobs in the 19th and 20th centuries, thus creating wealth and tax dollars for such. Those labor jobs didn't require a high level of education, but that world seems to be gone for the US.

If we're saying that a local economy of high-paying jobs are located in select cities, then I think that the re-investment into the education system won't happen evenly (the South used to have poor schools because of this). That's besides the fact that education has taken a back seat in this country (which is probably a bigger issue than distribution of good jobs), and it's going to affect the up-coming generations. We've fallen behind other countries in the world, and it's going to show this century.

In any event, I agree with what you're saying about education.
The United States has a many degree holding people now that can't even find work or work that requires a degree. I don't buy the "we are behind in education" crap because of this as we have one of the highest number of college grads per capita in the world.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Sounds like we're in a chicken and egg discussion Without knowing a ton on the topic, my impression is that good schools came from prevalent labor jobs in the 19th and 20th centuries, thus creating wealth and tax dollars for such. .
GI Joe Bill by sending thousands of WWII veterans into universities created the economic boom of the 50' and 60'. Yes, you can work as a waiter/waitres untill you're wealthy and then go to school but it is so muich easier to become wealthy when you have good education and start to work as lawyer, doctor, software engineer or electrician or beautician. Education is an investment both on a personal and national level. Without proper education, again both on personal and community level, becoming wealthy is not that easy at all. Keep in mind that this is XXI century so becoming a wealthy prospector or grocery store owner is not as easy as it used to be...

I don't think this is an egg and a chicken debate, withouth offering a highly qualified workforce Florida will never see any manufacturing/industrial jobs in the state materialized. Especially since in XXI century competition for jobs is no longer between the states and municipalities but nations. How do you draw investors to Florida? How about creating the chicken in Florida? Of course, the wealthy retirees that made money elsewhere and do not have kids in school age resideing in the state, don't really care for any investement in education and increase in taxes so this horrible stalemate situation is not very likely to change...

Last edited by jobber23; 12-10-2010 at 08:30 AM..

Old 12-10-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NationalistFighter View Post
The United States has a many degree holding people now that can't even find work or work that requires a degree. I don't buy the "we are behind in education" crap because of this as we have one of the highest number of college grads per capita in the world.

It's not about holding a degree but about education. Many schools and many degrees are simply bogus and don't offer any usefull knowledge. Diploma does not necessarily equalls being educated or knowledgeable.
You don't have to buy anything but if you realize how many foreigners work in research and software development you realize there is something wrong with the American education system. Of course if you can realize that which implies you are educated as well.

Last edited by jobber23; 12-10-2010 at 08:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City