Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most urban?
SF 167 31.87%
LA 71 13.55%
DC 45 8.59%
Philly 165 31.49%
Boston 76 14.50%
Voters: 524. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 02:57 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Look, I am from LA, spent the first 22 years of my life in LA. And I do think its more urban than Philly, Boston, DC but less than SF. But downtown is the worst argument there is for LA. Your Atlanta has a better downtown than LA.

LA Live? It was a failure, a laughing stock excuse for the city to bring back attention to downtown. None of it has worked. So don't waste your time trying to convince anyone LA has a better downtown than DC, which is easily top 8 in downtowns.

I will speak for LA and say that it is more urban in a larger area. In its metro and urban area (its the densest UA in the nation) LA easily outpaces everyone else. But to say LA has a comparable downtown to any of the other 4 cities is beyond idiotic.
I'm just basing it off of my personal perception. I visited Downtown LA in the early 90s and again just a few years ago. I was very impressed with what they have done in the area and thus I gave it big props. You are free to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 03:00 PM

818 posts, read 1,387,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I'm just basing it off of my general perception. I visited Downtown LA in the early 90s and again just a few years ago. I was very impressed with what they have done in the area and thus I gave it big props. You are free to disagree.
Look obviously there is going to be disagreement, your taking an improved downtown from before to now and trying to say its better than a longer established and more successful downtown.
I don't know who would agree with you in the first place besides OyCrumbler.

You are saying DTLA > DTDC. Which I find most people here will strongly disagree with you on, but I will leave it to them to comment on it or not.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:08 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Look obviously there is going to be disagreement, your taking an improved downtown from before to now and trying to say its better than a longer established and more successful downtown.
I don't know who would agree with you in the first place besides OyCrumbler.

You are saying DTLA > DTDC. Which I find most people here will strongly disagree with you on, but I will leave it to them to comment on it or not.
Ok....

Old 12-21-2010, 03:20 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
City-Data polls are not to be taken seriously. Myself included, I voted for the city I like the most out of all of them. So I am going to assume many people did that too, actually looking at some of the votes its clear people are out voting for their hometowns and what cities they like best.

Polls are just a popularity contest and should never be used in any method of scientific reasoning of which place has more of any quantifiable factor. It's just a stage prop to get more people indirectly involved in a thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
1. L.A
2. D.C
3. Boston
4. San Fransico
5. Philadelphia
Mine is the exact reverse of yours. I'm curious to hear of your explanation, maybe there is something you may know that others don't.

Honestly:
01. Philadelphia
02. San Francisco
03. Boston
04. Washington DC
05. Los Angeles

Old 12-22-2010, 06:57 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
DT DC is a different animal. It's hard to compare it to other cities. It serves as the third largest DT behind NYC and the Chicago for commercial office space. It also serves as a top tourist destination with all the monuments and museums surrounding the National Mall. And lastly, the Federal Government footprint in DT DC is huge and largely contributes to some less than vibrant areas because of their security ban on retail space. I get the point that DT DC is not as vibrant or retail oriented as SF, Philly and Boston. But look at the role it plays within the region and the country. Museums and monuments aren't sexy when it pertains to nightlife. But none of the cities mentioned can touch DT DC 's urbanity. Canyons upon canyons of office buildings. SF, Boston and Philly don't have that in a large area like DC does.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:14 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DT DC is a different animal. It's hard to compare it to other cities. It serves as the third largest DT behind NYC and the Chicago for commercial office space. It also serves as a top tourist destination with all the monuments and museums surrounding the National Mall. And lastly, the Federal Government footprint in DT DC is huge and largely contributes to some less than vibrant areas because of their security ban on retail space. I get the point that DT DC is not as vibrant or retail oriented as SF, Philly and Boston. But look at the role it plays within the region and the country. Museums and monuments aren't sexy when it pertains to nightlife. But none of the cities mentioned can touch DT DC 's urbanity. Canyons upon canyons of office buildings. SF, Boston and Philly don't have that in a large area like DC does.
Seriously?

Old 12-22-2010, 08:24 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Kid,

DT DC is completely built out. It is much bigger than Philly and Boston. I'm not saying its as vibrant but definitely built out.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:38 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Kid,

DT DC is completely built out. It is much bigger than Philly and Boston. I'm not saying its as vibrant but definitely built out.

Philly (and Boston and SF) is also built out and not just with office buildings (Yes i know there is more to DC than just office buildings and museums, I lived there for years)

But to say the others are not built out is just silly, they are built out with more people and more density. I agree DC is urban, especially in the American context but to me not as urban as a Boston/Philly/SF though it continues to get moreso every year

On vibrancy, also agree is getting better but still lacks, though has some great neighborhoods just outside the DT

Old 12-22-2010, 09:08 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Downtown DC is packed during the day, but at night you need to go just a couple blocks north, starting around P Street, to see a lot of people. I think the perception of being "urban" is taken down some because of the height limitation, but living here it feels as urban as any place in the country outside Manhattan.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:56 AM

330 posts, read 877,857 times
As someone already mentioned, it appears that everyone is just voting for their fovorite city - so that being the case I voted DC.

My actual list is this:

1. SF
2. Philly
3. Boston
4. DC
5. LA

In 5 to 10 years I think the number one position will be between SF and DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City