Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most urban?
SF 167 31.87%
LA 71 13.55%
DC 45 8.59%
Philly 165 31.49%
Boston 76 14.50%
Voters: 524. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 07:56 PM

818 posts, read 1,386,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
LA, SF, DC, Philly, and Boston which ones are the most urban from most to least? Density, mass transit, walkable, downtowns

Overall: Philly, SF, Boston, LA, DC
LA is underrated. Remember that after you take out the mountains, LA's real density is around 17K for the entire city at the least. Even though DTLA is the weakest downtown of the bunch, I think over the larger area, LA is still more urban than the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 08:12 PM

37,122 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
LA is underrated. Remember that after you take out the mountains, LA's real density is around 17K for the entire city at the least. Even though DTLA is the weakest downtown of the bunch, I think over the larger area, LA is still more urban than the rest.
Yea.

And I do feel these selections overall belong in the same ballpark when we're looking at the urban bits. I actually think Chicago belongs in this ballpark as well.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:15 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
As someone already mentioned, it appears that everyone is just voting for their fovorite city - so that being the case I voted DC.

My actual list is this:

1. SF
2. Philly
3. Boston
4. DC
5. LA

In 5 to 10 years I think the number one position will be between SF and DC.
I agree that while DC is not the highest now, it will be in 5-10 years. No city in the country is growing like DC. It's no longer a government city. It's now just a real large city like any other.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:54 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
I agree that while DC is not the highest now, it will be in 5-10 years. No city in the country is growing like DC. It's no longer a government city. It's now just a real large city like any other.

I see improvements in DC but still believe there is a long way to go to catch Boston/Chicago/Philly/SF on urbanity. i think the mall actually detracts from the urbanity. So a blessing and a curse so to speak - that being said i do think DC is in the top 10 in the US and rising.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:26 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I see improvements in DC but still believe there is a long way to go to catch Boston/Chicago/Philly/SF on urbanity. i think the mall actually detracts from the urbanity. So a blessing and a curse so to speak - that being said i do think DC is in the top 10 in the US and rising.
Downtown D.C. will be exploding this decade with the development going on so it doesn't matter. Downtown is about to double in size with projections of 71,000+ new downtown residents and over 3,000,000 sq. feet of retail and 30 million sq. feet of new office space in mixed use developments downtown. The 5 planned waterfronts will be booming as well. All of southwest is about to look just like downtown not to mention NOMA too. D.C. will not be recognizable.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:54 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,409 times
I have not been to San Francisco, so I can't comment on it.

Here is what you should be able to do in a truly urban environment:

Have all necessities (or most of them) within a couple blocks.

In Washington D.C., I hate to say, you walk past block and block of closed government buildings at 8 PM. In order to get something, you have to know exactly where you are going in many areas. This is similar in Los Angeles in most areas.

In Philadelphia (Boston,NYC,) you can just knock around town and literally stumble over corner stores, markets, flower shops, bars, restaurants and cafes. Walking around Philly's downtown, you are barraged with opportunities to do stuff.

Take DuPont Circle for example - I wanted pizza one night, and I had to walk around for 30 minutes - I settled on Mcdonald's as it was the ONLY FOOD JOINT OPEN. In Philadelphia, I would have walked past numerous Pizza places, cafes, chains, ice cream shops, etc. I would have had more luck walking around a suburb.

The reason I pick on Washington in this example is because of the fact that it's an east coast city, and the Capitol of our nation at that. There's no reason not to have a better street level retail situation in that town. It's un-urban. Cold white masonry doesn't make a place urban - it's the people, mom and pop shops, little cafes, etc.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:09 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Hmmmmmmmm^^^^^^^

But what you fail to mention is that DC gives you so many more options than Philly and has plenty of restaurants and dives that stay open all night. Because you are lame or was with some lames, you couldn't find anything. White masonry? WTF are you talking about. Urban is DC. Miles of built out mid rises, block after block after block.

Ever heard of U Street (A few blocks over from Dupont Circle lamo) or Adams Morgan, G Town, Chinatown, Penn Quarter? Or Mt Pleasant? Food places genuis! Don't throw Philly up against DC. At least we can get liquor on Sunday and not have to drive to Camden, NJ. Plus our clubs and bars don't close at 1:45 am on the weekends. You lames kill me.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:14 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Overall:

Metro Level
1. Los Angeles
2. San Fran
3. Philly
4. DC
5. Boston

Somewhat dense, suburban sprawl does not equate to urbanity.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:18 PM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Walked around for 30 minutes looking for pizza in DuPont Circle? Man, that has to be the laugh of the week and it's only Monday.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:27 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Agree that DC isn't as urban as those cities, but I don't think the presence of the Mall really contributes toward that. The Mall isn't really situated downtown, it's in the middle of the federal city, which is basically parkland, monuments and federal buildings. Downtown DC is almost entirely north of the Mall--that's where the office buildings, restaurants, shopping and nightlife are centered, none of which is really interrupted by the presence of the Mall. Central park, Lake Michigan, Boston Common...all lovely amenities for their respective cities, and none of them detract from the overall urban feel of the city. I don't see the Mall as behaving any differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City