Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer more?
Northern California + Pacific Northwest + British Columbia (Canada) 78 57.78%
Southern California + Desert Southwest + Baja California (Mexico) 50 37.04%
Neither 1 0.74%
Other 6 4.44%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:17 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Pacifico is alright...
For sure, I will drink Pacifico Clara and Negra Modela, even a Corona if it is free or it comes down to limited options... but Tecate??? ick. Sol is good too but can never find it anywhere. Tecate is like the Natural Ice of Mexican Beers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 02:05 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
For sure, I will drink Pacifico Clara and Negra Modela, even a Corona if it is free or it comes down to limited options... but Tecate??? ick. Sol is good too but can never find it anywhere. Tecate is like the Natural Ice of Mexican Beers.
Thankfully, I can find Sol pretty easily around here; hell, the taqueria on the ground floor of my building sells the 32oz bottles (I live above a taqueria and across the street from a BevMo; it's a charmed life).

The Corona Familiar, which is also in a 32oz bottle, is without a doubt the most disgusting Mexican beer I've had in my life. It's like they mixed Corona with Steel Reserve. Ugh! Horrid flavor and the way it hits you is just plain nasty.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:53 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
Someone must've had a bad time in Seattle, otherwise they wouldn't have posted it ...

Either that or it's the typical armchair philosopher bringing judgment on a place and people they've never experienced.

Either way, I'm not impressed. I'm from the midwest originally, and people there are kind and outgoing, but I've adjusted pretty well, made lots of friends, and yes, without the aide of a computer

Have fun with your suntan lotion, super high taxes, boob jobs, and overly superficial ditzes! I'll take the socially awkward but warms once you get to know them, highly intelligent, functional, and otherwise normal folks in the NW corridor.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Someone must've had a bad time in Seattle, otherwise they wouldn't have posted it ...

Either that or it's the typical armchair philosopher bringing judgment on a place and people they've never experienced.
Yep. I'm somewhat evasive in admitting that I took my first gasp of air in Seattle at this point and generally refer to myself as a Bostonian, since that was the other place I spent a big chunk of my childhood.

Quote:
Either way, I'm not impressed. I'm from the midwest originally, and people there are kind and outgoing, but I've adjusted pretty well, made lots of friends, and yes, without the aide of a computer
Glad it worked out for you

Quote:
Have fun with your suntan lotion, super high taxes, boob jobs, and overly superficial ditzes! I'll take the socially awkward but warms once you get to know them, highly intelligent, functional, and otherwise normal folks in the NW corridor.
I don't know any people whose lifestyles are like that here in CA, sorry... you kind of have to go seek them out. But in any case, thanks! I will

Old 01-10-2011, 07:38 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
Quote:

I don't know any people whose lifestyles are like that here in CA, sorry... you kind of have to go seek them out. But in any case, thanks! I will
LOL I love how they plant sterotypes about fake boobs, and fake tans and all that. I do not know any person, nor have I ever dated any women who had fake boobs or a fake tan.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
LOL I love how they plant sterotypes about fake boobs, and fake tans and all that. I do not know any person, nor have I ever dated any women who had fake boobs or a fake tan.
I saw them in areas like Beverly Hills with some frequency when I lived in LA, but really... people seem to think that everyone here is "fake..." that just cracks me up.

Yeah, when you head out to Vacaville, Lancaster, Blythe, Eureka, Santa Rosa... you know, smaller CA cities, you see a bottle blond with fake boobs carrying a chihuahua in a purse every ten feet. We all drive Porsches and Bentleys, we all have giant homes, we're all rich and much more concerned with our tans than things like jobs or friends

California FTW

Old 01-10-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I saw them in areas like Beverly Hills with some frequency when I lived in LA, but really... people seem to think that everyone here is "fake..." that just cracks me up.

Yeah, when you head out to Vacaville, Lancaster, Blythe, Eureka, Santa Rosa... you know, smaller CA cities, you see a bottle blond with fake boobs carrying a chihuahua in a purse every ten feet. We all drive Porsches and Bentleys, we all have giant homes, we're all rich and much more concerned with our tans than things like jobs or friends

California FTW
exactly. It's just in Hollywood and Beverly Hills but that makes up a very small portion of California. People who take cliched stereotypes out and post them have no credibility at all.

What was your experience with Seattle?

Old 01-10-2011, 10:02 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
exactly. It's just in Hollywood and Beverly Hills but that makes up a very small portion of California. People who take cliched stereotypes out and post them have no credibility at all.

What was your experience with Seattle?
Someone's sensitive to these stereotypes. Is it because it rings a bell?

I have been to CA before. I drove through and stayed in a number of cities. Yes I know it is diverse, and loved certain parts of it (San Fran, Northern CA to be specific, god those redwoods are amazing). SoCal, though, just ... was meh.

The people were different but by and large, I do find people in LA and the surrounding areas to be more superficial with their dress. They think they're trendsetters and while that may be the case that doesn't define the person. At least not where I live. You don't have to be "trendy" to fit in here. You don't have to have a bloated ego of "being from somewhere or other" here (in fact people would say you're idiotic and would rather you adapt to the local scene and not hoot and holler about how awesome LA is). I found the same issue with people in Phoenix as well. I figured it must be a regional thing, and I was happy to return to my city.

I'll give credit where credit is due. But by and large I felt ... underwhelmed by LA when I went there. I was ... I dunno, expecting more, but everything and everyone just seemed vacuous. Beyond trendsetting, what has LA done for the nation? Seattle's given you the Internet, computer software used by over 90% of all computer users (Microsoft, most likely, you own a computer with Microsoft running its OS), took over the world in the 90s and is now the center of biomedical research (a Seattle firm sequenced the human genome and is busy at work delving further into it), and revolutionized the coffee culture the world over. It continues to revolutionize air travel and over half of all travelers use Boeing airplanes. Boeing is also, by the way, one of the leading US exporters. All while being more mellow and laid back! With gorgeous backdrops if you get bored! Need I say more?

It's the content that matters, not the veneer.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:24 PM

I find it hilarious when people are so quick to bash SoCal for "trying to be trensetters" and superficial, and then claim they like San Francisco. SF has so many fake liberal yuppies, status whores, scenesters, and people trying to act "hip". Please spare me with the "it's only in SoCal" crap.

You seem to be having this "superficial" attitude you so blantantly labeled for Southern California. You have this "Seattle is so much better than you" attitude that it is absolutely laughable that you think anything you say is credible. We all have different tastes. A city is still a great place even if it doesn't start trends. I love my hometown of San Diego and don't give a flying f*ck how important or not important it is to America. i don't care about stupid stuck up bullsh"t like you do.

I will take palm trees, hot women, entertainment, sun, and diversity, over cold, gloomy, rainy, depressing, cold hearted, Seattle.

get over it.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:18 AM

3,465 posts, read 5,261,238 times
This question is like comparing Italian+French+Chinese Food vs. Sushi+BBQ+German food. It arbitrarily bundles vast regions with huge varieties of cities, climates, cultures, and lifestyles in each mega-region to compare them to one another. And geographic delineations in this question are arbitrary. For example, from San Francisco, Nevada is the closest state and only a few hours' drive, yet SF is bundled in with Vancouver, which is a 20 hour drive away in a different country, crossing two states to get there. These regions have too much diversity to group into single regions that can then be compared with each other. NorCal has more in common with SoCal than SoCal has in common with Reno, for example, yet Reno is in the SoCal group. This question has way too many variables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City