Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer more?
Northern California + Pacific Northwest + British Columbia (Canada) 78 57.78%
Southern California + Desert Southwest + Baja California (Mexico) 50 37.04%
Neither 1 0.74%
Other 6 4.44%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 12:25 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,985,997 times

Advertisements

"Southern California + Desert Southwest + Baja California (Mexico):
- Southern California
- New Mexico
- Arizona
- Nevada
- Baja California (Mexico)"

Why is Nevada lumped in with SoCal? Is it just because of Vegas? Most of Nevada is more in line with NorCal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 02:09 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Las Vegas + Los Angeles just make the entertainment category so unfair for everyone else. But that's a major plus for those that want two great places for entertainment within a few hours drive from one another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
Why is Nevada lumped in with SoCal? Is it just because of Vegas? Most of Nevada is more in line with NorCal.
Yes most of Nevada's population is more connected with Southern California.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
NoCa/PNW/BC... EASILY. I prefer the weather, the denser cities (better infrastructure), and the better educated population (overall)- It's also safer. Give me SF over any other city west of the Rockies.

Nothing against the SW region, but I'm not into the whole desert atmosphere. I know there's luscious/mountainous terrain here and there including the better coast line (better than the NW region), but then there's the proximity to Mexico. I'm going to be quite blunt about it- I would never want to live next to Mexico... I know there's ways to avoid the Mex border, like far up in NV by Reno/Lake Taho area, but that's pushing into the NW region anyway.
I also don't like how the SW regions cities spraaaaawl (PHOENIX)

Anyway- Albuquerque is beautiful and LA is dope

Old 01-15-2011, 08:44 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
One of my favorite female facebook friends is from Seattle. I really dig her. So, I'm going with option 1.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:47 PM

74 posts, read 93,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Northern California + Pacific Northwest + British Columbia (Canada):
- Northern California
- Washington
- Oregon
- Idaho
- British Columbia (Canada)

I included Idaho to keep it at a balanced comparison (3 US states, 1 International province, and half of another state)

Southern California + Desert Southwest + Baja California (Mexico):
- Southern California
- New Mexico
- Arizona
- Nevada
- Baja California (Mexico)

Criteria:
- Scenery (Which type of scenery do you like better?)
- Cities (Which group has more appealing cities to you?)
- Weather (Which side has better weather?)
- Recreational Activities (Which side has better activities?)
- Economy (Where is it better?)
- Dining/Food (Where can you find better food?)
- Diverse/Variety (Where can you find more integrated and diverse scenes?)
- Nightlife (Where is there a better availability of nightlife options?)
- Safety (Where is it safer?)
- Education (Better collection of schools and educational scene?)
- Parks (Which region has better parks?)

Questions:
- Which region do you prefer more?
- Which one do you find more appealing?
- Which one would you much rather live in?

Major Population Centers:
- San Francisco, USA
- San Jose, USA
- Oakland, USA
- Sacramento, USA
- Seattle, USA
- Portland, USA
- Boise, USA
- Vancouver, Canada

- Los Angeles, USA
- San Diego, USA
- Phoenix, USA
- Tucson, USA
- Albuquerque, USA
- Las Vegas, USA
- Santa Fe, USA
- Tijuana, Mexico

Navy Blue- Northern California + Pacific Northwest + British Columbia (Canada)
Dark Red- Southern California + Desert Southwest + Baja California (Mexico)
I like your thinking! I would like a half spoon of both, But I really like NorCal, PNW area a little more!

Old 01-15-2011, 11:54 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,788,977 times
Baja! But if you could somehow tie it with NorCal it would be a killer.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:41 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,066 times
Northern California + Pacific Northwest + British Columbia = Better for living in

Southern California + Desert Southwest + Baja California = Better for a vacation

Old 02-26-2011, 03:32 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Oh no you did NOT give the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe to ugh, SOCAL?!?!?!?!

Water is a fighting word out west Danny.

NorCal would seriously thump and spare no expense to get that entire Lake completely in our territory. LOLjk

Old 02-26-2011, 05:10 AM

292 posts, read 752,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Someone's sensitive to these stereotypes. Is it because it rings a bell?

I have been to CA before. I drove through and stayed in a number of cities. Yes I know it is diverse, and loved certain parts of it (San Fran, Northern CA to be specific, god those redwoods are amazing). SoCal, though, just ... was meh.

The people were different but by and large, I do find people in LA and the surrounding areas to be more superficial with their dress. They think they're trendsetters and while that may be the case that doesn't define the person. At least not where I live. You don't have to be "trendy" to fit in here. You don't have to have a bloated ego of "being from somewhere or other" here (in fact people would say you're idiotic and would rather you adapt to the local scene and not hoot and holler about how awesome LA is). I found the same issue with people in Phoenix as well. I figured it must be a regional thing, and I was happy to return to my city.

I'll give credit where credit is due. But by and large I felt ... underwhelmed by LA when I went there. I was ... I dunno, expecting more, but everything and everyone just seemed vacuous. Beyond trendsetting, what has LA done for the nation? Seattle's given you the Internet, computer software used by over 90% of all computer users (Microsoft, most likely, you own a computer with Microsoft running its OS), took over the world in the 90s and is now the center of biomedical research (a Seattle firm sequenced the human genome and is busy at work delving further into it), and revolutionized the coffee culture the world over. It continues to revolutionize air travel and over half of all travelers use Boeing airplanes. Boeing is also, by the way, one of the leading US exporters. All while being more mellow and laid back! With gorgeous backdrops if you get bored! Need I say more?

It's the content that matters, not the veneer.
Quick correction: If you were going to say any city or area in the US "gave us the internet" it would without a doubt be the San Francisco Bay Area. Pretty much every original and current internet pioneer (beginning in 1973 with networking methods being created at Stanford and through facebook and twitter being based in the bay area) came from the bay. Seattle has a strong programming and software market, but it had nothing to do with giving anyone the internet.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:28 AM

292 posts, read 752,315 times
All the posts about the absurdity of attaching these regions together and making an arbitrary comparison are spot on.

That said, San Francisco and Seattle are more similar culturally than San Francisco and Los Angeles - by a good margin. SoCal and NorCal as regions are way more similar than NorCal and Washington, no doubt. But if you isolate the cities of San Francisco and Seattle (or San Francisco and Portland, for that matter) and examine them culturally, they have a lot more in common than San Francisco and Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City