Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Three of These Cities is The Mecca For Buppies?
DC 95 37.85%
ATL 103 41.04%
NYC 53 21.12%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
Here's another problem for why some of these cities aren't the so-called BUPPY MECCA. Take DC for instance. Affluent Blacks or "buppies" are leaving the city for Prince George County and other SUBURBS and affluent whites or yuppies are replacing them. DC was 71% Black in 1970, in 2007 blacks made up 55% of the population. I'm pretty sure that's went down slightly in just the past 3 years. The only place in DC that hasn't seen gentrification (from black to white) is Anacostia, which is has mostly poor blacks.
You're assuming that way more affluent blacks are leaving the city than poor blacks (or even that affluent blacks are leaving the city at all). The reality is that wealthier, educated young black professionals are still moving to the city, but that poorer, less educated blacks are leaving the city for Prince George's County at a much faster rate.

Quote:
My question is how can this be a city for so-called buppies, if they aren't actually living in DC? In Chicago, there is gentrification of Black neighborhoods, but the gentrifying is being done more by affluent Blacks than affluent whites. More affluent blacks have moved within the city limits of Chicago over the over the past 15 years than DC. There are still lots of people moving to the burbs, but many areas on the Southside and westside has seen their fair share of affluent blacks flood in.
I seriously doubt this is the case (referring to bolded language), but whatever.

DC has better jobs than Chicago, and older and more historic black neighborhoods, so it would only make sense for DC to have a larger population of young, black professionals than Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 08:21 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
So buppies are uppdity oreo/whitewashed negros with only superficial black cultural influences?
Pretty much.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:02 PM

320 posts, read 717,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You're assuming that way more affluent blacks are leaving the city than poor blacks (or even that affluent blacks are leaving the city at all). The reality is that wealthier, educated young black professionals are still moving to the city, but that poorer, less educated blacks are leaving the city for Prince George's County at a much faster rate.
I know that for a fact. There are more professionals moving to DC, but the vast majority of them aren't Black. Alot more poor people are leaving the city for Prince George county, but this is more recent. Over the past 20 to 30 years more professional and affluent blacks were leaving DC in Droves. Nowadays, that trend may be reversing a little, but the only black people who are moving in DC are the ones with no kids or they are able to send their kids to private or magnet school. As soon as they start to have kids, then that's when they decide to leave (mainly b/c of the schools). It's no different from Chicago in that aspect.

However, their are a lot of affluent blacks displacing less affluent blacks in Chicago. It could be the same in DC, I don't know. 10 years ago, it was rumored that whites were looking to move in Bronzeville on the Southiside and Black folks immeadiately started to buy up property and build developments in the area, which increased property values and taxes in the areas. Many other developers immeadiately followed. If you go to the area today, there area more waaaaaaay middle-class and affluent blacks live there then ten years ago, while whites and other minorities are still a small minority. If we would've gotten the Olympics

Quote:
DC has better jobs than Chicago, and older and more historic black neighborhoods, so it would only make sense for DC to have a larger population of young, black professionals than Chicago.
How do you figure that DC has better jobs than Chicago? Look up the economy of Chicago and then get back to me on that one. This is how I know you don't know much about Chicago. Chicago has one of the largest, riches and most diverse economies in the world. It's an Alpha world city dude. Jobs pretty sure that its the same for DC considering all they gov't jobs, but Chicago has a much more diverse and balanced economy than DC (including lots of gov't jobs). I don't have stastistics, but I'm pretty sure their da Chi has thousands upon thousands of well paying jobs. The average household income is higher in DC because the cost of living is higher. If the Chicago area has the same cost of living as the DC area, then the average wages will probably be more. With that said, don't think for one second that you can make more money in DC than Chicago.

Also, DC's black community is older, but what makes you think that its more significant? You must really do a thorough research on Chicago itself. Then when you are done, do some research on Black Chicago history and you will see our contributions made to Black history and culture in the "short" time we've been in this city.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:53 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
So buppies are uppdity oreo/whitewashed negros with only superficial black cultural influences?
The sentence above could have been copied verbatim from some 19th-century slaveholder. I feel for the buppie types, having to deal with attitudes like yours.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:29 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,676,262 times
I came to the conclusion that DC holds the title despite ATL winning in this poll.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:54 AM

152 posts, read 250,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
People making X amount money doesn't necessarily mean they act a certain way...

A buppie is a cultural thing, not a monetary one per se.

I know plenty of people who make a lot of money and are far from being buppies, and I know people who make a moderate income and are as buppie as you can get.
If not based on education or wealth but culture only the term buppy is as subjective as yuppy and as precise as your definition of "acting in certain way". For different people it means different thinks and for some farmers from **fill in the name of you least favorite state here** yuppy it is probably everybody who showers every morning and pays to get his hair cut.

Last edited by jobber23; 03-30-2011 at 09:15 AM..

Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 AM

152 posts, read 250,434 times
Quote:
How do you figure that DC has better jobs than Chicago? Look up the economy of Chicago and then get back to me on that one. This is how I know you don't know much about Chicago. Chicago has one of the largest, riches and most diverse economies in the world. It's an Alpha world city dude. Jobs pretty sure that its the same for DC considering all they gov't jobs, but Chicago has a much more diverse and balanced economy than DC (including lots of gov't jobs). I don't have stastistics, but I'm pretty sure their da Chi has thousands upon thousands of well paying jobs. The average household income is higher in DC because the cost of living is higher. .
Your post reads like a propaganda poster and then "I don't have the statistics, but" is a final nail in the coffin.

As opposed to you I do have the statistics and it seems that while unemployment in Chicago is at 9.4, New York 9.0, DC's unemployment is at 6.1. Which economy do you think is doing better? Which offers more jobs?

PS. The statement "The average household income is higher in DC because the cost of living is higher" is the most absurd thing I read today. There is no causation here, the average income in DC is higher because its economy offers better paying jobs.

Source:

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 03-30-2011, 09:22 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,316,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
waronxmas probably has never watched The Real Housewives of Atlanta.

That in itself increases their intelligence level by a tenfold!

Old 03-30-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Yep...

There are a few basic questions that can be asked to determine if someone's a buppy?

1. (For women) Do you have natural hair (i.e., twists, locks, frizz)? If you don't, have you seriously considered the "Big Chop?" If so, add a point.

2. Do you even know what the "Big Chop" means? If no, subtract a point.

3. Do you own an album (or at least have assorted tracks on your iPod) by at least FOUR of the following artists: Laura Izibor, Des'ree, Corinne Bailey Rae, Chaka Khan, Robin Thicke, Foreign Exchange, Kem, The Roots, A Tribe Called Quest, Maxwell, Remy Shand, Erykah Badu (only the first two albums), Jill Scott (first album only), Alicia Keys, D'Angelo, Amel Larrieux, Les Nubiens, Meshell Ndegeocello, Jazzyfatnastees, Floetry, Raphael Saadiq? If yes, add a point. If no, stop taking the test. You are not a buppy.

4. Do you own a copy of Love Jones on DVD? If yes, add a point.

5. Do you own a copy of Love Jones on VHS? If yes, add two points.

6. Have you even seen the movie Love Jones? If no, subtract four points.

7. Do you own any vinyl records? If so, add a point.

8. Do you drink Kool-Aid? If so, subtract two points.

9. Do you drink? If no, subtract a point.

10. Is Heineken your default beer? If so, subtract a point.

11. Does the church you attend end with the words "Missionary Baptist?" If so, subtract a point.

12. Do you attend the 8 AM Sunday service so you can hit the streets at the height of the brunch hour? If yes, add a point.

13. Does your church not have an 8 AM service, but instead only the 11 AM service? If so, subtract a point.

14. Do you not "do" brunch? If not, then subtract a point.

15. Did you ever have a My Space account? If so, subtract a point.

16. Did you ever have a Black Planet account? If so, add a point.

17. Do you buy copies of Jet and Ebony magazine at the grocery store? If so, subtract a point.

18. Did you attend an HBCU other than Morehouse, Spelman, Howard or Hampton? If so, subtract two points.

19. Which song would you rather hear at a party: "Empire State of Mind" by Jay-Z or "No Hands" by Wocka Flocka Flame? If ***** man, add one point. If Wocka, subtract a point.

20. Do you eat turkey bacon? If yes, add a point. If no, subtract a point.

21. Are you a member of a frat? If so, add a point.

22. Do you "converse" or do you "conversate?" If the latter, subtract two points.

23. Which TV show do you prefer: The Cosby Show or Martin? If Martin, subtract a point.

24. Were you fearful to let your coworkers know that deep down inside you secretly agreed with many of Reverend Wright's comments? If so, add a point.

25. Have you ever visited another continent? If yes, add two points. If no, subtract two points.

The highest possible score is 14. You need at least 9 points to qualify as a buppy.
Heh hehe that was funny, and pretty much true. (un)fortunately methinks i qualify as a buppy (9.5)

Old 03-30-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Chicago should definitely be on the list, read history of the historic Black Metropolis.

HQ of Ebony/Jet
Oprah
Michael Jordan
Jesse Jackson
Barack Obama
in the past
Ida B. Wells
Dinah Washington
Harold Washington
Elijah Muhammad
Louis Farrakhan

Chicago was and is the center for black muslim and radical thought and many professionals in the City.
The first black insurance company was in Chicago.
The first black congressman in the north was from Chicago.
Chicago is a mecca for black blues, jazz and gospel.

Not saying it is #1... but it should have been on the list. Currently it is between DC and Atlanta.

.....and not ONE Buppy on the list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City