Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 05:45 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Can I think of a world-famous city that isn't world-class--yeah that's easy:

Atlanta
Nah that would be Seattle's kid sister;PORTLAND! But no wait...Portands not world famous or world class!

Old 01-27-2011, 05:56 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityNooby123 View Post
Well the "OFFICIAL" world class cities are Boston NYC Chicago LA Miami and Atlanta.
People who are posting dc, san francisco and philly are pretty much trying to boost.
Miami and Atlanta are world class, but Washington DC and San Francisco are not?

Hahahahahahahahahahahuuhuhuhuhhahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha oh hahahahaha
hahahahahahah

Got my laugh for the week.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:57 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
What is wrong with the US? I was looking at countries with the most cities having more than 500 skyscrapers, and

China has 6
Brazil has 6
the US has 3

did we invest in too many cities? The US only dominates when you get down to cities with 100 of more skyscrapers.

lol, how the heck did cities like Recife get as many skyscrapers as Chicago??

Old 01-27-2011, 05:58 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Nah that would be Seattle's kid sister;PORTLAND! But no wait...Portands not world famous or world class!
Who the hell ever said it was? Everyone in Portland just admits it's an overgrown town...People are fine with that. What do I care, I'm not from Portland...

I just love how sensitive you Atlanta folks are though. You guys definitely don't have a world-class sense of humor. That and your downtown is kind of lame for any city imagining itself to be world-class. Other than that it's a fine city.

Last edited by Deezus; 01-27-2011 at 06:29 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 05:59 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityNooby123 View Post
Well the "OFFICIAL" world class cities are Boston NYC Chicago LA Miami and Atlanta.
People who are posting dc, san francisco and philly are pretty much trying to boost.
Pretty sure a whole lot more non-Americans have heard of San Francisco and DC than Atlanta. The two cities have been established for a much longer period.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:38 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Quote:
That wasn't the question. Can you name a truly world-class city that isn't world famous?
That doesn't matter and was never my point. A square is a rhombus but the opposite if not necessarily true. People here are reading off names of famous cities and conflating that with world-class status, as if name brand is the only criterion.

If you want to start a separate discussion about world-class cities that are not world-famous, then go right ahead. Maybe Singapore is the closest to such a thing? I don't know.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:50 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Who the hell ever said it was? Everyone in Portland just admits it's an overgrown town...People are fine with that. What do I care, I'm not from Portland...

I just love how sensitive you Atlanta folks are though. You guys definitely don't have a world-class sense of humor. That and your downtown is kind of lame for any city imagining itself to be world-class. Other than that it's a fine city.
Whos sensitive?I never said Atlanta is world class.I said Atlanta if other cities like Miami,Houston,Seattle etc.. can be world class in some peoples eyes then Atlanta certainly is well beyond.
Did you not just say this?:
Quote:
I'm not as familiar with Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston, as I am with Seattle...
And for someone who says they have little knowledge I do find it remarkable that you seem to now know so much about Downtown Atlanta.

A sense of humor is welcome except when you don't have people whose only job it seems in life is to have such hatred of a city.People always talk about Atlanta posters but what Atlanta posters have said incredulous things that were not based on some fact?Not me.So don't accuse me .

Old 01-27-2011, 06:56 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I think his list is wacky too. I don't see any rhyme or reason to it.
I think he was combining global influence with other cities that are known globally for something specific. Although, I have no idea what Sacramento is known for globally.

If we do this then my list would be
New York
LA
DC
Chicago
San Francisco
Miami
Philly
Detroit (automobiles)
Boston (ivy league)
Houston (energy)
Atlanta (coca cola & layovers)
Orlando (Disney)
New Orleans (Cajun culture)
Nashville (country music)
Indianapolis (racing)
Vegas (gambling)
Roswell (UFO's)

And others... If we take cities that are known globally for something then the list can become quite long and include cities that you wouldn't expect.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:03 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
What is wrong with the US? I was looking at countries with the most cities having more than 500 skyscrapers, and

China has 6
Brazil has 6
the US has 3

did we invest in too many cities? The US only dominates when you get down to cities with 100 of more skyscrapers.

lol, how the heck did cities like Recife get as many skyscrapers as Chicago??
Probably because skyscrapers are made to add office space in downtown CBD's. Most American cities are sprawling.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:06 PM

33 posts, read 32,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Miami and Atlanta are world class, but Washington DC and San Francisco are not?

Hahahahahahahahahahahuuhuhuhuhhahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha oh hahahahaha
hahahahahahah

Got my laugh for the week.
Im sorry its the truth. DC, SF OR PHI are not on the world class level yet. Being globally known does not make you world class. Well maybe Philadelphia is world class since it has a huge historical influence in the world! Also it more established than most of the cities in the US. It also a world hub for medicine. San Francisco is also up there for its technology but thats all San Francisco is known for. I am guessing people are going to be mad at me for stating the truth. Miami and Atlanta are both world class because of miami being the hispanic hub and atlanta for its busy airport.
DC is the capital but if it wasn't the capital it would not be world class.

Basically a world class city to me is a city thats
- Well known HISTORICALLY (not just well known)
- Has 1 hub
- It gave the WORLD something
- Well Established throughout history and still is today
NYC, BOSTON, CHICAGO, LA ATLANTA AND MIAMI all have that and maybe philly dc and sf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City