Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 08:57 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times

Advertisements

[quote=MiamiRob;17625649]^ world class cities are subjective and your GAWC list shows a bias so I will go on with my own! Anybody who thinks Atlanta is above Boston or Miami is on crack![/QUOTE
Crack?LOL.
Let see :
Miami:

Next to last in the Best museums in the top 25 U.S. cities
Best Museums in U.S. Cities — Infoplease.com
Even in the top 100 most visited museums in the world ,Miami is not listed,but Atlanta is.
List of most visited art museums in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Miami has no real architecture to speak of out of it Art Deco district.Your facilities that house your museums,opera,symphonies are not noteworthy.

Atlanta has world renowned architects like Richard Mier,Renzo Piano,Michael Graves,I.M. Pei

Their are really no world wide institution of higher learning and research other than U of M.
Atlanta has 4 highly ranked universities and colleges and is one of the 5 centers of education in the U.S.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:51 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
World Class Image:
Miami

World Class Economy:
Houston

Both:
New York City
Chicago
Los Angeles
Boston
San Francisco
Washington DC

Economically; Houston is VERY important and plays a key part in America's economy. Image; Miami is very prominent. I think if Miami could become more aggressive in becoming a key player economically and Houston starts establishing itself as a World Class city and start building up a favorable image; these two could lead the south.

Atlanta and Dallas are pretty much in the middle and have made huge strives; however, I just feel there power is limited compared to Houston and Miami [I could be wrong, but this is how I feel atm]. There locations give them an advantage.

Culturally:
Miami
Atlanta
Dallas
Houston

Economically:
Houston
Atlanta
Dallas
Miami

Old 01-29-2011, 01:04 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What makes Amsterdam a world-class city?
Financial, cultural and political capital of the Netherlands. Home to several Global 500 companies. Good global name recognition. Fairly affluent area. Lots of good design coming from there.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:28 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,887 times
HAC New York, there's a big blighted and dirty area right few blocks from you which I feel it's not safe. Don't get mugged, ok. New York is a semi-verticle LA wannabe without a downtown. I don't consider Lower Manhattan with a few upscale/cheap shops on Canal st. a downtown since it's still a ghost town at night. Even Grenwich Village and Soho die out after 10pm daily and don't b.s. me that it doesn't because I was there last summer. I was very disappointed with the LA wannabe city with ice cold tundra trying to be all that but fell short. Sorry. Even your compadre New Yorkers said the same thing to me that Dt. San Jose is much better and more fun than New York since it has better stuffs and everything is closer. That's a downtown! Sure, you have more shops in New York, but it doesn't count because that's not what's San Jose strength is. It's entertainment with convenience shops like Target, Marshall, Ross and Traders Joes that serve the residences of Dt. SJ. In New York, Whole foods are in Time Warner bldg. and in lower Mid-town Manhattan. That said, it's very spread out. The rest of the grocery stores are small and crappy. Most important thing is that the so called West Village/ Soho and Tribeca are called downtown which insults the very thing downtown suppose to be. I know Manhattan more than you do because I've been there so many times. Hey, walk with me in Manhattan on earlier post. Where's Nordstrom in Manhattan? There ain't one. Since Manhattan doesn't have a real downtown, it's not world class, unfortunately. You never been to San Jose, and it ain't no sleepy hick town as you make out to be. Get your facts straight, and I'm tired of those ignorant redneck New Yorkers think they know about San Jose. Hey, like you said, "you know nothing about San Jose" and blame that on #2 most st#$p*d people in the world, the New York media. San Francisco gets all the Silicon Valley credit thanks to the ignorant New York media. Since you don't know anything about San Jose, drink your latte' in East village and move on. Hey, watch out for another "North Easter" next week with very cold temps and don't slip.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:42 AM

nycricanpapi, GAWC world class city people are naive englishheads who don't know all cities well. They're so off it. A world class city should have a downtown which New York doesn't. New York does have the population, diversity, entertainment, sight seeings, financial/fashion and media industries and most big city amenities. No downtown is what disqualify New York from being a true world class city, and LA is in the same boat. They're both cities with no center and spread things out in the hoods instead, like HAC New York said. I agree with HAC New York that you can find stores or restaurants in a few blocks in Manhattan, which is true, but that's in the neighborhoods, not so much downtown. I think, as I stated in my previous posts, New York is boring! I don't hate or like it. It's just there. It was there in 1970's, too, when I first went there on my own. I just had to make the best of it now and then.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:44 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,697,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
nycricanpapi, GAWC world class city people are naive englishheads who don't know all cities well. They're so off it. A world class city should have a downtown which New York doesn't. New York does have the population, diversity, entertainment, sight seeings, financial/fashion and media industries and most big city amenities. No downtown is what disqualify New York from being a true world class city, and LA is in the same boat. They're both cities with no center and spread things out in the hoods instead, like HAC New York said. I agree with HAC New York that you can find stores or restaurants in a few blocks in Manhattan, which is true, but that's in the neighborhoods, not so much downtown. I think, as I stated in my previous posts, New York is boring! I don't hate or like it. It's just there. It was there in 1970's, too, when I first went there on my own. I just had to make the best of it now and then.
If it's so boring then I really wonder why we get so much tourists even when NYC is so cold.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:04 AM

Beats me?

Old 01-29-2011, 02:16 AM

HAC New York and nycricapapi, please walk with me in Manhattan on New York vs SF Bay Area thread, post #244. you'll see exactly what Manhattan is, which is boring and frozen in the winter and steamy hot in the summer. Heck, the city is snowed out and out of commission. Who wants that? I'd rather be in San Diego which creams New York in the weather and girl department. You're crazy to be in New York. It's a rat-race, mumbo-jumbo and chaotic! I don't need that in my life. So it's not world class. Sorry, but's a reality. It's just overrated. Sorry New Yorkers.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:22 AM

617 posts, read 1,423,223 times
Quote:
HAC New York and nycricapapi, please walk with me in Manhattan on New York vs SF Bay Area thread, post #244. you'll see exactly what Manhattan is, which is boring and frozen in the winter and steamy hot in the summer. Heck, the city is snowed out and out of commission. Who wants that? I'd rather be in San Diego which creams New York in the weather and girl department. You're crazy to be in New York. It's a rat-race, mumbo-jumbo and chaotic! I don't need that in my life. So it's not world class. Sorry, but's a reality. It's just overrated. Sorry New Yorkers.
I wouldn't compare SF to Manhattan, SF is the size of my b***s

Old 01-29-2011, 12:42 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,369 times
Quote:
Quote:
HAC New York, there's a big blighted and dirty area right few blocks from you which I feel it's not safe. Don't get mugged, ok. New York is a semi-verticle LA wannabe without a downtown. I don't consider Lower Manhattan with a few upscale/cheap shops on Canal st. a downtown since it's still a ghost town at night. Even Grenwich Village and Soho die out after 10pm daily and don't b.s. me that it doesn't because I was there last summer. I was very disappointed with the LA wannabe city with ice cold tundra trying to be all that but fell short. Sorry. Even your compadre New Yorkers said the same thing to me that Dt. San Jose is much better and more fun than New York since it has better stuffs and everything is closer. That's a downtown! Sure, you have more shops in New York, but it doesn't count because that's not what's San Jose strength is. It's entertainment with convenience shops like Target, Marshall, Ross and Traders Joes that serve the residences of Dt. SJ. In New York, Whole foods are in Time Warner bldg. and in lower Mid-town Manhattan. That said, it's very spread out. The rest of the grocery stores are small and crappy. Most important thing is that the so called West Village/ Soho and Tribeca are called downtown which insults the very thing downtown suppose to be. I know Manhattan more than you do because I've been there so many times. Hey, walk with me in Manhattan on earlier post. Where's Nordstrom in Manhattan? There ain't one. Since Manhattan doesn't have a real downtown, it's not world class, unfortunately. You never been to San Jose, and it ain't no sleepy hick town as you make out to be. Get your facts straight, and I'm tired of those ignorant redneck New Yorkers think they know about San Jose. Hey, like you said, "you know nothing about San Jose" and blame that on #2 most st#$p*d people in the world, the New York media. San Francisco gets all the Silicon Valley credit thanks to the ignorant New York media. Since you don't know anything about San Jose, drink your latte' in East village and move on. Hey, watch out for another "North Easter" next week with very cold temps and don't slip.(LOL AT YOU KEEPING YOURSELF UPDATED ON OUR WEATHER)

Lol normally troll post are short and to the point. Yours are completely epic in size and scope lol. The bolded is hilarious

And you said you've been visiting our city since the seventies. So SMH at a middle-aged grown man making troll post on city-data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City