Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area overall offers more?
Bay Area 80 28.07%
NYC 184 64.56%
Tie 21 7.37%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 02:38 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,155 times

Advertisements

Nice, though highly processed, still a beautiful shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
We all know that the Bay Area, outside of that 1.12 sq. miles in the Northeastern part of SF, is a world of darkness.
Speaking of Darkness. . . . . Hey Oakland.

Night view over Oakland, CA | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Might as well mention this dead weight of Brooklyn. . . (I love this photo taken from Manhattan, LOL!)

Flickr: Tony Shi.'s Photostream
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 02:42 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post

Might as well mention this dead weight of Brooklyn. . . (I love this photo from taken from Manhattan, LOL!)

Hey, hey, that's not fair. The only reason Brooklyn looks more urban in those photos is because Oakland has hills. And the differences between the two places are mere "aesthetics" anyway.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:44 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Because Brooklyn is just riding the NYC CBDs' coat-tails
This is not what anyone is saying so spare us the melodrama--what has been proven is that despite whatever urban qualities Brooklyn might possess, Brooklyn is still largely a bedroom community where commuters to Manhattan reside.

Some Brooklyn areas even pride themselves for their suburban nature:
The South Brooklyn Network -- Brooklyn Heights - America's First Suburb

Old 10-29-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post

Might as well mention this dead weight of Brooklyn. . . (I love this photo taken from Manhattan, LOL!)

That's a great picture of the UC Berkeley campus. The photographer goofed LOL.

Here's Oakland. A place that is the number 1 employment destination of the people who live there.

Keep hope alive tho.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is not what anyone is saying so spare us the melodrama--what has been proven is that despite whatever urban qualities Brooklyn might possess, Brooklyn is still largely a bedroom community where commuters to Manhattan reside.
And that's in no way different from SF. The commuters to DTSF reside in neighborhoods like the Haight. Therefore, the Haight is a bedroom community.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
That's a great picture of the UC Berkeley campus. The photographer goofed LOL.

Here's Oakland. A place that is the number 1 employment destination of the people who live there.

Keep hope alive tho.
I would hope the CITY of Oakland had residents working INSIDE of the city limits. That would be embarrassing don't you think. . . . But the real question is how many people live in the CITY of Oakland but work in San Francisco (or somewhere else in the Bay?) I'll wait for those numbers.

Here's Brooklyn, 1/5th of the Alpha++ city know as New York. (Does it hurt you that I can put New York, New York on my mail & still get it, no matter where in the 5 boroughs?) There's a reason it's called Kings County . . .

Brooklyn in the Blue | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 10-29-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
And that's in no way different from SF. The commuters to DTSF reside in neighborhoods like the Haight. Therefore, the Haight is a bedroom community.
Would it make you feel better if I said "Kings County" is a bedroom community instead of Brooklyn?

Old 10-29-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Would it make you feel better if I said "Kings County" is a bedroom community instead of Brooklyn?
Would it make you feel better if I said that the Haight is a bedroom community on NyQuil (compared to BK) instead of just a "bedroom community?"

Old 10-29-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Would it make you feel better if I said that the Haight is a bedroom community on NyQuil (compared to BK) instead of just a "bedroom community?"
I'm convinced he doesn't know what bedroom community is. Better yet, how to correctly use that term.

Shall we move on to something else like developments ? And when are we adding Manhattan again?

Old 10-29-2012, 03:15 PM

Rockridge, Oakland vs Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn (in video)

Feb 2008 Carol & I Walking in Rockridge (Oakland) Part 2/2 - YouTube

New York City - Video tour of Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn (Part 2) - YouTube

LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City