Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Atlanta become apart of the Birmingham CSA one day?
They will join as one 19 22.09%
They will remain seperate 67 77.91%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:42 PM

818 posts, read 1,387,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post
Why is New York City being discussed in this thread?
Someone from Atlanta got offended when I said Birmingham has a higher per capita income than Atlanta and then tried to put NYC down by posting facts from 10 years ago saying Atlanta is higher median income than NYC.. another Atlanta poster came in to say that 70% of NYC is full of monotonous apartment buildings giving it a bland and boxy look like Atlanta..

waronxmas, when I get off work I will address your shenanigans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 03:45 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
White persons, percent, 2000 (a) 33.2%

[b]Black persons, percent, 2000 (a) 61.4%

American Indian and Alaska Native persons, percent, 2000 (a) 0.2%

Asian persons, percent, 2000 (a) 1.9% 2.1%

Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, percent, 2000 (a) 0.1%

Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2000 (b) 4.5%

This info was gathered from Atlanta (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

From a government website so you know this information is right. This info clearly shows that there is a lack of diversity in atlanta.
Like I said METRO. The metro is white is 57 %.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:47 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,270 times
HAHA, I love this. The Atlanta basher are posting all kinds old or wrongfully used data and when they are called out and shown wrong they find something else to bash. I mean come on. Get a life or something.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:56 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
1. Montgomery has lower traffic and commute times then both but that is because it's smaller so it should. Your argument is pointless.

2. The cost of living is very similar and I'm from Alabama. Alabama has a raping sales tax.

3. The unemployment is also lower in North Dakota but is that really a big enough plus? Besides that the unemployment in Bhan is not that much lower.

4.I'm from Alabama and the people are no more nice or nasty in Georgia. You are grasping straws.
WHAT! First of all, the things I posted were things that make Birmingham more superior. In these times with HIGH gas prices, having shorter commute times and driving smoothly through traffic are far more superior than sitting in traffic for long periods and having to drive about an hour to work. Second of all, Birmingham is a place in which, despite its influx of transplants, have not LOST its southerness and Southern hospitality. Atlanta has literally taken thousands and thousands of people from the Northeast, which in the end result, has equale to it losing alot of its southerness and hospitality. Also, Birmingham's cost of living is lower than Houston's!!!!! And for you to put down your state to take up for Atlanta is low as hell, especially when you MISINTERPRETED my post!

Old 01-27-2011, 04:11 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,151,507 times
Honestly If there were more development and cohesion between the two I don`t think Birmingham would want to be part of the Atlanta CSA.

The Birmingham CSA is only 1.2 million with 8 counties.

The Atlanta CSA is well over 5 million with 25 counties.

So of course Atlanta will and should be superior to B-ham.If you were to compare B-ham to other metros that are similar in size it is doing pretty well and holding it`s weight down.B-ham`s skyline hight and density ranks in well if not better than others that are the same size.B-ham`s economy is just as diverse and strong as others that are similar in size as well.

And with a metro that is almost four times the size of B-ham Atlnata is no more diverse than B-ham,Montgomery,Huntsville, or Mobile.

Last edited by PortCity; 01-27-2011 at 04:28 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 04:14 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
First off, that's data from the 2000 census. Since that time, the city has grown by 140,000 residents or about 30%.

The correct info for the city level as of 2009 is:
Atlanta city, GA; Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2005-2009

Black: 49.7%
White: 40.8%
Latino: 5.3%
Asian: 3.1%

So, if you are going to make a charge, at least do your homework.
Ok well maybe Atlanta have a lot of White people and Black people. However, Atlanta is still not as diversed. In order for a city to be diversed it needs to have many types of races in a large amount.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:16 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
HAHA, I love this. The Atlanta basher are posting all kinds old or wrongfully used data and when they are called out and shown wrong they find something else to bash. I mean come on. Get a life or something.
No one is trying to bash Atlanta, we are discussing Atlanta.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:29 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,768,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Someone from Atlanta got offended when I said Birmingham has a higher per capita income than Atlanta and then tried to put NYC down by posting facts from 10 years ago saying Atlanta is higher median income than NYC.. another Atlanta poster came in to say that 70% of NYC is full of monotonous apartment buildings giving it a bland and boxy look like Atlanta..

waronxmas, when I get off work I will address your shenanigans
The facts were from the 2009 5 years ACS by the Census and showed a difference of $10,000 in Atlanta favor....

Atlanta has a higher median household income than NYC CMSA, but not their MSA. NYC's MSA had a MHI higher by about $5,000/year.

Now you continue to ignore them, misrepresent them, and choose to look at the wrong stats just because you found one thing that fits your preconceived view of Atlanta.

Any other posters can look at my post earlier in this thread and read up on the issues of measuring and comparing income much better.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:35 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,946 times
First of all, the day the Atlanta and Birmingham CSA's are combined, ill run down the street nude with a bottle of champagne and two glasses in hand. Second, what would be the benefit of this combination for the average person?. Birmingham is nowhere close to being on par with Atlanta, and its been a known fact since 1960.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:36 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Ok well maybe Atlanta have a lot of White people and Black people. However, Atlanta is still not as diversed. In order for a city to be diversed it needs to have many types of races in a large amount.
First off it is diverse, not "diversed". Secondly, compared to whom? Most big cities will follow the pattern of having a very large amount of one or two groups of people and smaller percentages of two or more others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City