Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most attractive and entertaining city?
Austin 38 21.71%
Nashville 46 26.29%
New Orleans 63 36.00%
Portland 22 12.57%
C-D polls are pointless and stupid. I refuse to participate!!! 6 3.43%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 11:38 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Here's a few categories to start us off:

Music scene- Nashville/NOLA
Film scene- Idk/idc
Over all art scene- NOLA
Architecture- NOLA
Skyline- PDX
Urbanity and density- PDX
public transportation- PDX
Night life- IDC, All got some good spots
Festivals and events- Depends on when
Best tourist destination (feel free to give a specific time of the year. New Orleans during Mardi gras, Austin during SXSW, Portland during the spring, etc.)- They're all good
Whether- Depends on season, but otherwise very subjective.
Natural scenery and out door recreation- PDX
Education and schools (universities and average education level)- All except PDX. PDX doesn't have anything on the scale of Tulane, UT or Vanderbilt.
Geographical location relative to surrounding cities, region, and nature- Nashville
Most progressive- Hmm... I'd have to give it to Austin.
Best city culture- NOLA
Friendliest people- NOLA/Nashville
Best food scene- NOLA
most diverse- All except PDX
most growth potential- NOLA/Nashville
And of course, over all QOL- Nashville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 12:19 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Is Nashville pretty dense and mixed-use in its core (I know it amalgamated with its county, so the density for the entire entity is pretty low)? Did it get hit pretty hard by urban renewal or does it still have a lot of neighborhoods that retain the look and feel of pre-automotive US? I feel like Nashville and Austin are probably a bit further behind on those measures than Portland and New Orleans.

Also, is Nashville as a whole fairly progressive when it comes to social issues?
Nashville's core is more or less similar to other southern cities. A mix of old warehouses and factories, new skyscrapers and offices, and a range of large scale government buildings.

Urban renewal did hit the city pretty hard, but a lot of the historic past remains and it's not overly hard to find. The biggest effect of urban renewal was the razing of (dilapidated) historic/unique homes to build housing projects (50s/60s), and the interstate system, which fractured some neighborhoods and chopped the inner city street grid. A number of older buildings downtown were razed in favor of surface parking...but that has largely been stopped, and there are efforts to fill those lots with new development. Most new construction includes internal parking garages.

Still, there are thousands of historic civic, commercial, and residential properties that remain in the city...many are well kept, and awareness and preservation is a bigger priority than in years past. The east and southwest sides of town have the greatest level of historic neighborhood preservation.

Nashville.gov - Historical and Zoning Commission - MHC Districts and Design Guidelines

More recently, a fair amount of density has been added in the inner city neighborhoods with low/midrise (along with a handful of highrises) condo and apartment development. There is a good bit of infill going on....but we have a long ways to go.

Nashville could definitely use some improvement in the area of urban neighborhoods...but we do have some...they just need a little TLC and some infill. It's a slow process, but the urban fabric of Nashville's inner city neighborhoods is steadily being repaired.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:24 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
So I picked these four cities because they are similar sized metropolitan areas, they are magnets for young people in their 20's and early 30's, and they all have a very large creative classes for MSA's of their size especially in music and film. So please compare and contrast the cities and explain which one you prefer over all and why. Here's a few categories to start us off:

Music scene-Austin and NOLA
Film scene-New Orleans-3rd biggest after NY and LA
Over all art scene- ?
Architecture- New Orleans, if for no other reason than age
Skyline- New Orleans
Urbanity and density- New Orleans
public transportation- Portland
Night life- Austin and NOLA
Festivals and events- NOLA
Best tourist destination (feel free to give a specific time of the year. New Orleans during Mardi gras, Austin during SXSW, Portland during the spring, etc.)- New Orleans- biggest tourism industry by far outof these
Whether- portland
Natural scenery and out door recreation- Austin
Education and schools (universities and average education level)- Austin
Geographical location relative to surrounding cities, region, and nature- Nashville
Most progressive- Portland
Best city culture- New Orleans
Friendliest people- New Orleans
Best food scene- New Orleans
most diverse- Austin
most growth potential- New Orleans
And of course, over all QOL- Portland

I used quite a few categories, so feel free to only respond to as few categories or even add some if you like.

Oh, and last thing, PLEASE POST PICTURES AND VIDEOS!!! I could scour the internet to find a few, but I'm more curious to see what everyone else post, at least at first.
I'm biased, obviously.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:31 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,053,159 times
Music scene-Austin and Portland tie
Film scene-Idk
Over all art scene-Austin
Architecture-New Orleans
Skyline-Austin
Urbanity and density-New Orleans
public transportation-Portland
Night life-Austin
Festivals and events-New Orleans
Best tourist destination (feel free to give a specific time of the year. New Orleans during Mardi gras, Austin during SXSW, Portland during the spring, etc.)-Austin or New Orleans
Whether-Portland, I don't care if it's grey most of the year, the others get really hot and humid in the summer
Natural scenery and out door recreation-Portland
Education and schools (universities and average education level)-Dunno
Geographical location relative to surrounding cities, region, and nature-Portland or Austin
Most progressive-Austin or Portland
Best city culture-All of them in different ways
Friendliest people-...There's friendly people everywhere...
Best food scene-Austin or New Orleans
most diverse-Austin
most growth potential-Austin
And of course, over all QOL-Austin or Portland

BTW I voted Portland just because it's my hometown.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:01 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Music scene-New Orleans
Film scene-New Orleans
Over all art scene-New Orleans
Architecture-New Orleans
Skyline-New Orleans
Urbanity and density-New Orleans and Portland
public transportation-Portland
Night life-New Orleans
Festivals and events-New Orleans
Best tourist destination (feel free to give a specific time of the year. New Orleans during Mardi gras, Austin during SXSW, Portland during the spring, etc.)-New Orleans
Whether-Nashville
Natural scenery and out door recreation-All of them tied
Education and schools (universities and average education level)-All of them except maybe Portland
Geographical location relative to surrounding cities, region, and nature-Portland and Nashville
Most progressive-Austin and Portland
Best city culture-New Orleans
Friendliest people-New Orleans
Best food scene-New Orleans
most diverse-Austin because of UT I'm guessing
most growth potential-New Orleans
And of course, over all QOL-All of them

Old 03-05-2012, 12:29 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Music scene- Nashville (overall)
Architecture- New Orleans
Skyline- Austin
Urbanity and density- Portland and New Orleans
public transportation- Portland
Night life- for locals, unsure. For tourists, New Orleans
Best tourist destination- New Orleans
Natural scenery and outdoor recreation- Portland
Most progressive- Portland
Best city culture- New Orleans gets edge for history and charm
Best food scene- New Orleans
most diverse- Austin
most growth potential- Austin and Nashville

Old 03-05-2012, 01:54 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
This thread is all over the map and it's hard to pick. Seriously.
New Orleans is probably the most entertaining and unique, but not attractive in most parts.
Portland is the most attractive, but certainly the least entertaining and more "smug" of these four.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:01 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
This thread is all over the map and it's hard to pick. Seriously.
New Orleans is probably the most entertaining and unique, but not attractive in most parts.
In most parts like where? List neighborhoods.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:02 AM

207 posts, read 345,536 times
1) austin
2) Nashville
3) New Orleans
4) Portland

Old 12-26-2014, 05:36 PM

9 posts, read 12,090 times
I've visited Nashville, lived and have family in New Orleans, but currently live in Portland. Never been to Austin but I'd love to visit.

I picked Portland for the outdoors, moderate climate, safety, laid back lifestyle, and health-obsessed / eco friendly culture.

I would love to live in New Orleans again one day but no way in hell I'm raising my son there with all the crime.

1. Portland
2. New Orleans (If I were single)
3. Nashville

Austin, no comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City