Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:31 PM

229 posts, read 520,820 times

Advertisements

Why not? Both are State Capitols. Both have roughly the same city population. Both are the lone "large" city in there respective states.

1. Culture
2. History
3. Industry
4. Growth
5. Things to do
6. Character (whatever that means)
7. Sports
8. Amenities
9. Misc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 09:54 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,822,981 times
hmmm..... I love Providence, definitely a remarkable little city and packs a punch with architecture, arts, and food. I haven't been to Little Rock, nor do I know of anyone who has.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:34 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
Why not? Both are State Capitols. Both have roughly the same city population. Both are the lone "large" city in there respective states.
While Providence may be the only large city in the state, its not exactly lonely, since its one of the cities inside the Bos-Wash... or as some people like to call it "somewhere between Boston and New York". It is also part of Boston CSA.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:09 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Providence, no contest.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
While Providence may be the only large city in the state, its not exactly lonely, since its one of the cities inside the Bos-Wash... or as some people like to call it "somewhere between Boston and New York". It is also part of Boston CSA.
Yeah Providence is sort of a Boston Jr.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
This is a case where you have to look at metro populations. Providence has a very large metro population despite a small city population. Little Rock's metro is only 600k and most of that is rural farming communities so it doesn't even seem that big. There really is no competition. It's like comparing El Paso to Atlanta based on city population alone.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:02 PM

702 posts, read 3,010,615 times
As quite a few posters pointed out, Providence is practically a suburb of Boston now with commuter rail into Boston daily both from the city and now from its airport. So, it is really not a fair comparison.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:11 PM

What I am stuck on is, what exactly is Little Rock known for besides being the capital of Arkansas? I know it's a river city (I flew right over it on a flight to Dallas and had a window seat). There seemed to be lots of forests and man made lakes on the periphery. With comparison categories such as history, character, industry, and culture I'm at a loss. Perhaps somebody could chime in and give a little summary or dissertation on Little Rock because I'm somewhat curious beyond what Wikipedia would tell me.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:22 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
What I am stuck on is, what exactly is Little Rock known for besides being the capital of Arkansas? I know it's a river city (I flew right over it on a flight to Dallas and had a window seat). There seemed to be lots of forests and man made lakes on the periphery. With comparison categories such as history, character, industry, and culture I'm at a loss. Perhaps somebody could chime in and give a little summary or dissertation on Little Rock because I'm somewhat curious beyond what Wikipedia would tell me.
Little Rock is a small Southern city with an old-South feel, much like Montgomery, Augusta, Jackson, etc. Perhaps the most high profile attraction there is the Clinton Presidential Center. Most of Arkansas' other tourist attractions are not in the Little Rock metropolitan area.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:26 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Little Rock in many ways is like a Mini-Dallas.

I've been to Little Rock, twice before. The city isn't bad but its not a cosmopolitan city like peers of similar size. It's got a nice setting, lush green, abundance of water in the area, and hills with lush green terrain. But it's definitely Southern in feel and even in accent. There isn't anything wrong with that, but if it gets larger it can outgrow all that much like other cities have in the past. Also the skyline is rather large for a city & metropolitan area of its size, and its skyline does remind me of a smaller version of Dallas. From what I know of the area, it does seem like Dallas is seen as the "big city" in that region too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City