Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 11:10 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Surprised there've been so few mentions of Los Angeles. L.A. is pretty thoroughly working-class. And obviously known for gang culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 11:25 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Are northeastern cities still considered tough in the summertime?

Old 12-17-2021, 11:35 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Louisville and Baltimore come to mind first for me. Jacksonville too for some reason.

As for Boston, sure it is a little "tough" still but it's faded fast. I remember seeing more fights and more working-class people at social events as a child. Really it's more like the people are rough around the edges and have zero manners. There's a good degree of scofflaw behavior tolerated by natives. But not really tough, mostly due to the high % of transplants and students.

Other cities in MA are definitely "tougher" namely New Bedford, Brockton, Springfield, and Worcester.

Old 12-17-2021, 01:13 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Louisville and Baltimore come to mind first for me. Jacksonville too for some reason.

As for Boston, sure it is a little "tough" still but it's faded fast. I remember seeing more fights and more working-class people at social events as a child. Really it's more like the people are rough around the edges and have zero manners. There's a good degree of scofflaw behavior tolerated by natives. But not really tough, mostly due to the high % of transplants and students.

Other cities in MA are definitely "tougher" namely New Bedford, Brockton, Springfield, and Worcester.
Growing up I always heard “Jacksonville is the Detroit of the South.” Which was weird since I grew up in Indiana and really, the “Detroit” of the south is probably Memphis or Birmingham.

Old 12-17-2021, 01:36 PM

824 posts, read 711,683 times
I remember Kurt Vonnegut joking about Indianapolis in 1970s about how everyone walked around tough because it was a tough town.

Old 12-18-2021, 09:34 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Philadelphia.
I agree. Philly is tough. Every time I go there, I see something I shake my head at. The last time was a bloody man outside of my hotel in Center City staggering down the sidewalk, Center City. It was not North Philly. Even at the cheesesteak places I love people looked tough, like they had gone through a lot.

Old 12-18-2021, 12:14 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
What makes the East Coast tough though?
I don't know. I guess it is my own way of interpreting things or the fast pace of east coast cities.

Old 12-18-2021, 12:25 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Percentage of Non-Hispanic Whites with a Bachelor's Degree or Higher (Ages 25 to 34)

Washington - 93.4%
Manhattan - 87.8%
San Francisco - 84.2%
Atlanta - 82.2%
Boston/Cambridge/Somerville - 81.6%
Seattle - 75.0%
Baltimore - 73.2%
St. Louis - 68.6%
Pittsburgh - 68.5%
Brooklyn - 66.8%
Oakland - 66.8%
Chicago - 67.5%
Philadelphia - 58.5%
Los Angeles - 46.0%
Detroit - 43.0%
Milwaukee - 41.5%
Cleveland - 39.0%

Old 12-18-2021, 01:55 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Percentage of Non-Hispanic Whites with a Bachelor's Degree or Higher (Ages 25 to 34)

Washington - 93.4%
Manhattan - 87.8%
San Francisco - 84.2%
Atlanta - 82.2%
Boston/Cambridge/Somerville - 81.6%
Seattle - 75.0%
Baltimore - 73.2%
St. Louis - 68.6%
Pittsburgh - 68.5%
Brooklyn - 66.8%
Oakland - 66.8%
Chicago - 67.5%
Philadelphia - 58.5%
Los Angeles - 46.0%
Detroit - 43.0%
Milwaukee - 41.5%
Cleveland - 39.0%
Very curious what your data source is (and when it's dated) for these numbers. I've never come across such granular data on ACS, for example.

Also, is this to make the point that a higher proportion of young adult NHWs without BA/BS = tough?

Old 12-18-2021, 02:55 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
You mean San Diego isn't tough, with all the surfer bro types?
I was never in the Bird Rock Bandits.
But i surfed with them without incident for a few years in the late 80s, accepted as a local at the disputed territorial spots of Windansea & Blacks.

Scripps Pier, Seaside, Swami's, Torrey Pines, 15th Street & Sunset Cliffs weren't bad for localism. They were pretty mellow. Well, not Swami's. But even Swami's was more or less open territory. But things could get heated on a big 'west swell.'

La Jolla Cove, when it rarely breaks sets its own pecking order.

But Big Rock & Bird Rock were problematic. God forbid on what winter days these 2 afforded. Big Rock is an unforgiving slab that grinds up surfers and boards, and spits them out. It can be a very dangerous wave. But the was a much bigger problem: you needed to be a local, a Bandit or a friend of the Bird Rock Bandits to paddle out at Big Rock.

My first day out at Windansea was very fortuitous. About a week after classes opened after Spring Break. It was the biggest i've ever seen Windansea to this day. i paddled out on a 6'2" Rusty that was undersized for the 6-8' surf.
When i got to the lineup i was met with the frowns that punctuated that particular spot. Over the course 45 minutes nobody said a word, and i quietly paddled over a couple of medium sized sets. While the locals chatted between waves, i was clearly feeling the tension being accorded to me--
To put a bit of distance between myself and the stink eyes, i paddled out to the 2nd reef. A bit belligerent, and clearly received as a returned "scowl."
After a time, and the obvious absurdity of not having anything break that far out, a local, probably the closest to me dryly asked, "So, what brings us the pleasure of having you with us today."
Me: "i'm actually from Boston. i'm at UCSD."
Them in unison, "hahaha....."
Someone: "Hey, this dude's from Boston. Does anyone surf there-_"
Someone else: "can you surf....."
Suddenly there's a set forming on the horizon and it's very unnerving.
It's a cleanup set. And a perfect wave is about to come down on my head.... so i paddle to deep water to get out of harms way. But quickly realize 'they're probably going to call me onto the wave.'
That's exactly what happened next: "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......" (they're all about to get worked). But the Bird Rock Bandits will get to see if i'm up to the challenge of surfing with them in the next few seconds.
I somehow manage to make the drop (first actual/real wave i've ridden in 2 years), make a full bottom turn to a chorus of [yelling/ approval], right back up the face and BOOM crack the lip..... going on instinct and adrenaline i rode out the wave of the day.
Someone: "nice ride buddy....."
i quietly paddled back to my spot to enthusiastic smiles and a even a couple positive hand gestures.
About a half hour later i got an identical bomb--repeating the feat.
That was how my first day at Windansea with the Boys ended:
2 waves attempted/surfed.

5 foot Big Rock. Back then it was [locals only].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prO0jtbVu3I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City