Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:25 PM

940 posts, read 2,026,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
As you can see in the picture there are really only two large parking lots (one bottom left, ne middle center) and the rest is mid rise buildings packed in tightly.
I can see another large parking lot in this picture: the 110.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 07:26 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Not sure on these two, they both exist in Philly
Many cities may have areas that are similar but nowhere Ive been in the US are anywhere near the scale of NY and LA when it comes to downtown wholesale.

Not SF, not Chicago, not Philly, not Boston, not DC, not anywhere. Its just WAY more critica mass in the megacities.

I love to be a homer as often as possible, but this is one area where LA just spanks the hell out of SF and everywhere else except NYC.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:30 PM

940 posts, read 2,026,960 times
^^ having the largest port in the US and being the largest city in by far the largest agricultural state, LA does have a much more industrial/wholesale/warehousing presence in downtown than any other city I've been to.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:04 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
No. No its not. Miami is far more urban than LA in the downtown area. LA is more like Dallas.
I disagree completely. LA has much more density and older buildings than Miami. Parts of Downtown LA pass for NYC and Chicago in movies and tv, you couldn't do that in Downtown Miami. At the street level I think Downtown LA is more urban and vibrant than Downtown Miami; there is nothing in Miami that has the look and feel of Broadway. Downtown Miami is much smaller as well.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:16 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
this past All-Star Weekend had LA looking like a pretty nice city...i dont see what the people on this site b*tch about

Old 02-21-2011, 10:17 PM

292 posts, read 752,633 times
Downtown LA is much more urban and vibrant than DT Houston or Dallas. Id say its more urban than Miami as well. Downtown LA has some really packed in areas and is much bigger than people think. Still pretty poor for the 2nd biggest city, but substantially more than most other US downtowns.

One thing that really differentiates Downtown LA from many other downtows is that much of it is still geared towards the working class and minorities. A trend over the last 10-15 years is that many cities have gentrified their downtown areas and made them more accessible for the wealthyL classes. This has generally not been the case in LA. But it does have some culturally rich, interesting ethnic enclaves - I just cant see tourists walking around downtown the way they would in places like San Francisco or Chicago, or even San Diego.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
people should stop judging La's skyline based on its population... LA was a city that did not have to build "UP" because it has the space to build out. it is also prone to earthquakes..so it would be dman near stupid to pack the place with a bunch of skyscrapers. and even of LA did deside to build more skyscraper, people are just gonna b*tch about them being "characterless glass boxes".. so LA just wont get a break.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:27 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Houston and Los Angeles differ a lot on the street level in my opinion. Houston's historic core is much smaller and the skyscraper don't really have anything anchoring their bases and connecting them together.

Los Angeles has a very densely packed downtown. As you can see in the picture there are really only two large parking lots (one bottom left, ne middle center) and the rest is mid rise buildings packed in tightly.
Tell me this doesn't look like a greener LA...

http://photos.imageevent.com/kcphotos/houston/houston_2677.JPG (broken link)

http://culturemap.com/site_media/uploads/photos/2009-11-02/Downtown_Houston_aerial_CVB.800w_600h.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Metro Matt; 02-21-2011 at 10:57 PM..

Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
Quote:
Houston and Los Angeles differ a lot on the street level in my opinion. Houston's historic core is much smaller and the skyscraper don't really have anything anchoring their bases and connecting them together.

Los Angeles has a very densely packed downtown. As you can see in the picture there are really only two large parking lots (one bottom left, ne middle center) and the rest is mid rise buildings packed in tightly.

Skyline wise from a distance they look similar, but coo77's pics show the density of DT LA that Houston doesnt quite have. And again you'd have to see an aerial shot. DT Houston is really up and coming though.....

Old 02-21-2011, 11:02 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
DT Houston is really up and coming though.....
One day it'll have more infill around downtown and density than it does now but yeah that day isn't today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City