Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:21 PM

940 posts, read 2,027,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I've been told by people who live in LA that downtown is pretty dry and dead, especially considering a city of its size. I noticed there are SOME pics where there are lots of people, but I hear that is the exception to the rule. What is the truth?
historic core aside, downtown can be pretty dry and dead, at least compared to other vibrant LA downtowns like Santa Monica and Pasadena.

The thing is that angelenos compare downtown to other urban centers in LA that can often be much more vibrant than other US downtowns. And, downtown is nowhere near as gentrified as some of the other main centers so it's seen as sketchy, dirty, etc.

Broadway in downtown does have by far the highest foot traffic of any street in LA, though it is largely a Latino working-class shopping street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 01:27 PM

292 posts, read 752,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I maybe going out on a limb to say this but I think that even though LA's downtown is a little small for its city size, it still beats most of cities in this country when it comes to comparing downtowns. I honestly believe that there are only a few cities that can actually say there downtown is better. Thats New York City, Chicago and Philadelphia. Maybe San Francisco, Houston and Seattle could make a good argument also. Other than that their aren't many other cities who could make the argument that their downtown ranks higher than Los Angeles.
San Francisco's downtown is better than Philly's, IMO, and definitely better than LA's by almost any measure.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:31 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overunder12 View Post
San Francisco's downtown is better than Philly's, IMO, and definitely better than LA's by almost any measure.

Both better than LA, agreed, Having lived in both SF and Philly I would be extremely hard pressed to say either really distinguishes from the other, IMHO Philly is at least equal, IMHO it actually surpasses in vibrancy by a hair, but to me Boston/SF/Philly are all about equals in terms of the DT feel etc and in my opinion for DTs only surpassed by NYC and probably Chicago

Old 02-22-2011, 01:34 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
I agree generally, but I think boston and DC are missing from your list.

I think in 20 years downtown LA will equal SF, Boston, and maybe DC as a civic/culture/shopping center (It definitely won't as a business center, though..).
I think so too. It is a shame that the economic downturn has shut down a lot of projects around the country.

I like the direction that cities such as Houston are heading.

A lot of housing developments are coming up on the eastern part of downtown and in midtown. The shopping is coming along very slowly, but it is still moving.

I think Houston pedestrian activity is underestimated because it is not always visible. There is more street level activity nowadays, but most of the activity and shopping is still underground and in sky tunnels. you wouldn't believe how packed the restaurants are underground.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:38 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I think so too. It is a shame that the economic downturn has shut down a lot of projects around the country.
It's a shame but not that bad given the only thing stopping those projects from going forward is the funding (rather the lack thereof) for them. People still support them every bit as much as they did prior to the recession.

Now if you are the impatient type, then it indeed does suck as we are still probably a few years out from those type of projects being built regularly again.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:40 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Many cities may have areas that are similar but nowhere Ive been in the US are anywhere near the scale of NY and LA when it comes to downtown wholesale.

Not SF, not Chicago, not Philly, not Boston, not DC, not anywhere. Its just WAY more critica mass in the megacities.

I love to be a homer as often as possible, but this is one area where LA just spanks the hell out of SF and everywhere else except NYC.
I can vouch for this. Definitely agree.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Both better than LA, agreed, Having lived in both SF and Philly I would be extremely hard pressed to say either really distinguishes from the other, IMHO Philly is at least equal, IMHO it actually surpasses in vibrancy by a hair, but to me Boston/SF/Philly are all about equals in terms of the DT feel etc and in my opinion for DTs only surpassed by NYC and probably Chicago
although I am not a big fan of crowds, I kinda like dt Philly. I like it more than SF. I don't mean to offend anyone from SF, but the very things that many people are attracted to are the same things that turned me off.

I came from a City set in the a bay nestled within Hills, so I guess I got tired of that set up and find boring old flat cities set up on even grids more fascinating for some reason (Btw, my last description didn't describe philly so no need to correct me on that)

Old 02-22-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

Now if you are the impatient type, then it indeed does suck as we are still probably a few years out from those type of projects being built regularly again.
lol, well i am not getting any younger.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:00 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think that is the biggest factor on why LA doesnt always get more credibility, it is very developed but lack in residential compared to a Boston/SF/Philly - it is more similar to Atlanta on this factor, Atlanta is another in the Sunbelt that has great potential downtown and seems to be getting better alll the time, it is more developed in a dense fashin downtown relative to Houston and Dallas IMHO
Could you expand on this? Because from a view, I always looked at Downtown Houston being denser than Downtown Atlanta.

Anyway, from a skyline point of view, I would say that Downtown Houston and Downtown Los Angeles are pretty identical. Street level is a different story though.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Could you expand on this? Because from a view, I always looked at Downtown Houston being denser than Downtown Atlanta.
I think so too. Midtown ATL is denser though.

Quote:
Anyway, from a skyline point of view, I would say that Downtown Houston and Downtown Los Angeles are pretty identical. Street level is a different story though.
I think they are taking the surroundings into consideration too. there are many trees and parking lots outside the cluster of buildings downtown which make it look a lot different
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City