Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 07:33 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

LA is an interesting case study. Before the boom of the film industry and the shift to places in the Valley, Hollywood, and the dispersion of jobs to the vast LA metro area, Downtown LA was culturally dominant. LA has always been de-centralized by 'big city' standards, but LA actually had quite a happening down town scene, with a lot of interesting early architecture. When I think 'noir' I think Paris, I do not think LA, yet we have 'LA Noir' in early Hollywood.

I think Houston is the best comparison I can think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 08:16 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
PARTS of Downtown Miami at street level resemble downtown LA. I guess logically Phoenix would be the closest resemblance to DT LA.
Very much so.

The downtowns of both Phoenix and Los Angeles tend to be on the small side for how large both cities are but both cities have made strides in downtown redevelopment recently.

Both Los Angeles and Phoenix grew rapidly on the post-war outward sprawl craze, both cities look more suburban than cities like San Francisco, Boston, or New York.

Of the two I would say Los Angeles has the better downtown area but Phoenix has really come to life more than what it was 15 years ago with light rail, ASU-downtown, and more residential buildings.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:48 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
PARTS of Downtown Miami at street level resemble downtown LA. I guess logically Phoenix would be the closest resemblance to DT LA.
Parts of downtown Miami do resemble downtown Los Angeles, but doesn't quite reach the size and scope of LA. I think those photos of Houston, LA and Miami from the 30's really capture how they differ. While all three have a nice historic core, Los Angeles' has been the biggest from the get-go, and thankfully much of that core is still intact (other than Bunker Hill).

Phoenix is not a good analog to Los Angeles, even a cursory google-maps viewing will show vast differences in street life, density, skyline height and footprint. ASU gives downtown Phoenix one feather in its cap that LA doesn't have, a university campus downtown. However, with the way downtown development has pushed further and further south past LA Live while the Expo Park neighborhood adds more northern development (along with the opening of a light rail line) there may be a day when USC is considered to be in Downtown LA as well.

Either way Los Angeles blows Phoenix out of the water in every 'more urban' argument (I think the San Fernando Valley is more urban than Phoenix) and that is especially true downtown.

I liked the mix of Atlanta/Houston and Philly/SF. Somewhere between those four.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:11 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
LA & Houston have the most comparable downtowns.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:19 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
I describe downtown LA as comparable to downtown Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta in terms of skyline.

Although LA is a little more dense in terms of low-rise/street level life mixed in.

Which makes sense since LA was 100,000 in 1900, whereas the big three southern cities were less than 50,000 in 1900.

So, its like downtown DAL/HOU/ATL with a bit more eastern city historic buildings/blocks mixed in.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I describe downtown LA as comparable to downtown Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta in terms of skyline.

Although LA is a little more dense in terms of low-rise/street level life mixed in.

Which makes sense since LA was 100,000 in 1900, whereas the big three southern cities were less than 50,000 in 1900.

So, its like downtown DAL/HOU/ATL with a bit more eastern city historic buildings/blocks mixed in.
It does seem like there is significantly more surface parking lots in Houston than Los Angeles.

I think downtown Houston has more in common with the west end of downtown (Bunker Hill, Civic Center, parts of the Historic Core and maybe South Park) but there is nothing like the vast area east of say, Los Angeles St. You have to remember, DTLA is not just the narrow swath of highrises next to the 110, it goes all the way east to the Los Angeles River. From the looks of google maps, downtown LA appears to be close to twice the size of DT Houston.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:41 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times
The reason I picked Phoenix was not because they mirror each other, just google any downtown (insert city) streets and the one that resembled LA the most was Phoenix with Denver coming in second, when I did the same with Houston all I got was streets with office buildings/skyscrapers which is not what what I think of when thinking of DTLA, I mean of course DTLA has office buildings but that's not the part of downtown that is full of life, from afar Houston does resemble LA, but from a street POV it would be a mix of Phoenix and Denver.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
The reason I picked Phoenix was not because they mirror each other, just google any downtown (insert city) streets and the one that resembled LA the most was Phoenix with Denver coming in second, when I did the same with Houston all I got was streets with office buildings/skyscrapers which is not what what I think of when thinking of DTLA, I mean of course DTLA has office buildings but that's not the part of downtown that is full of life, from afar Houston does resemble LA, but from a street POV it would be a mix of Phoenix and Denver.
That has got to be the strangest way to get a feel for what a downtown is like .

I don't think there are much similarities between DT LA and Phoenix at all.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:08 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
LA is an interesting case study. Before the boom of the film industry and the shift to places in the Valley, Hollywood, and the dispersion of jobs to the vast LA metro area, Downtown LA was culturally dominant. LA has always been de-centralized by 'big city' standards, but LA actually had quite a happening down town scene, with a lot of interesting early architecture. When I think 'noir' I think Paris, I do not think LA, yet we have 'LA Noir' in early Hollywood.
Interesting you don’t readily associate noir with Los Angeles. I guess that literary and film history gets washed out by the celebrity culture spotlight. Living here, it’s the other way around.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Interesting you don’t readily associate noir with Los Angeles. I guess that literary and film history gets washed out by the celebrity culture spotlight. Living here, it’s the other way around.
Yeah I definitely think of LA when I think of noire. Though the Paris connotation makes sense too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City