Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Oh, thanks for clearing that up. I really thought Downtown LA was dead.
Aside from the office areas during work hours and Broadway and the Fashion District on weekends during the day, it really was dead until just a few years ago. 6 years ago you could be downtown on a Saturday night and very few businesses would be open. A few restaurants would be open, but you probably wouldn't see people walking to them. But even then downtown was undergoing a renaissance. I posted in this thread last year about how much things had changed and it's only continued since then. Everything is open, people are walking everywhere, young people, older people, restaurants, bars, retail, etc. Anyone that was last in downtown 2 or 3 years ago would hardly recognize it. It's been quite drastic.

And if anything the pace is picking up. It's still not on the level of more well-known (and in some cases less well-known) downtowns, but it really could be in just a few more years. I never would have believed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 10:10 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Aside from the office areas during work hours and Broadway and the Fashion District on weekends during the day, it really was dead until just a few years ago. 6 years ago you could be downtown on a Saturday night and very few businesses would be open. A few restaurants would be open, but you probably wouldn't see people walking to them. But even then downtown was undergoing a renaissance. I posted in this thread last year about how much things had changed and it's only continued since then. Everything is open, people are walking everywhere, young people, older people, restaurants, bars, retail, etc. Anyone that was last in downtown 2 or 3 years ago would hardly recognize it. It's been quite drastic.

And if anything the pace is picking up. It's still not on the level of more well-known (and in some cases less well-known) downtowns, but it really could be in just a few more years. I never would have believed it.
The thing that always held DTLA back was the overwhelming latino vendors and shoppers and add in drug addicts/bums and no one from the westside or "more affluent" areas ever wanted to come down to DTLA. DTLA was never dead it just didn't have any "affluent desirability", now that's all changing and now the yuppies are starting to move in and the homeless are getting chased away by the lapd in to south central, gentrification at its best, however when every corner has a starbucks, pinkberry, and a gap it will make it very generic so be cautious what you wish for

Old 01-16-2012, 10:24 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post

That's slowly happening in Dallas too.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:18 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I thought Downtown LA wasn't vibrant. (According to what I've heard from the people that live in LA)

Its not. Atleast not after work hours. I've been to LA more than a few times. Judging the vibrancy of a city by google map images is fools gold as LA and Houston do not have the same climate. A great percentage of people and workers in DT Houston use the tunnels to escape the heat and humidity. Ofcourse, these thousands of people won't show up on random google searches. The first time on business in LA; I opted to stay downtown it was a major let down. IMO, DT Houston is similar to DT LA but Houston is far more vibrant when it comes to downtown nightlife. Theres more to do and see.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:29 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
The thing that always held DTLA back was the overwhelming latino vendors and shoppers and add in drug addicts/bums and no one from the westside or "more affluent" areas ever wanted to come down to DTLA. DTLA was never dead it just didn't have any "affluent desirability", now that's all changing and now the yuppies are starting to move in and the homeless are getting chased away by the lapd in to south central, gentrification at its best, however when every corner has a starbucks, pinkberry, and a gap it will make it very generic so be cautious what you wish for
Care to walk that one back?

Old 01-17-2012, 12:23 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Its not. Atleast not after work hours. I've been to LA more than a few times. Judging the vibrancy of a city by google map images is fools gold as LA and Houston do not have the same climate. A great percentage of people and workers in DT Houston use the tunnels to escape the heat and humidity. Ofcourse, these thousands of people won't show up on random google searches. The first time on business in LA; I opted to stay downtown it was a major let down. IMO, DT Houston is similar to DT LA but Houston is far more vibrant when it comes to downtown nightlife. Theres more to do and see.
There must be some serious vibrancy in Houston's tunnels then.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Care to walk that one back?
I stand by what I said, I am not contradicting myself because what I meant by held back is the negative stereotype DTLA had and though it was a very grimy, gritty, drug infested area for the most part everything back then was one of a kind, mom and pops, not so much chains, that's what I am going to miss, I remember having to weed out the imitation to get the good bargains on genuine merchandise, buying illegal weaponry such as ninja stars, weed pipes and bongs, these are the type of things that get lost when gentrification happens, what once took $50 to buy some nice pants at a bargain and a meal for 2 will eventually turn in to $150, I'm all for DTLA becoming more desirable for everyone but some of that "I wonder what I will find today" mystique will be gone.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:30 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
It is. At night I find dt LA way more vibrant than dt Houston. One big reason; many more dt residents. Along Spring, Hill and Main there are many condos/apts with bars, restaurants, coffee shops, and night clubs with more on the way. I've also notice things like pet stores, dvd rental/sales store, a new fancy liquor store, Bigman Bakes Cupcakes and the new Artisan House restaurant and market. Along 7th new restaurants and even new retail stores have popped up with more coming soon signs. To the southend we have LA Live which is pretty live most if not every night. To the north is the Music Center where you can see a play, the opera or the LA Philharmonic. And during the summer live latin music and salsa dancing in front of the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion on Friday and Saturday nights. Next to Disney Hall the new Broad Museum of Modern Art will open next year. Grand Performances at California Plaza has free concerts under the stars in the summer. Did I mention all the downtown subway stations with a new line opening in a couple of weeks? Broadway is a diamond in the rough and after decades of swap meet junk is finally seeing new life with at least 6 new restaurants coming and a new Ross is coming to the old Woolworth building. That's all for now.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
It is. At night I find dt LA way more vibrant than dt Houston. One big reason; many more dt residents. Along Spring, Hill and Main there are many condos/apts with bars, restaurants, coffee shops, and night clubs with more on the way. I've also notice things like pet stores, dvd rental/sales store, a new fancy liquor store, Bigman Bakes Cupcakes and the new Artisan House restaurant and market. Along 7th new restaurants and even new retail stores have popped up with more coming soon signs. To the southend we have LA Live which is pretty live most if not every night. To the north is the Music Center where you can see a play, the opera or the LA Philharmonic. And during the summer live latin music and salsa dancing in front of the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion on Friday and Saturday nights. Next to Disney Hall the new Broad Museum of Modern Art will open next year. Grand Performances at California Plaza has free concerts under the stars in the summer. Did I mention all the downtown subway stations with a new line opening in a couple of weeks? Broadway is a diamond in the rough and after decades of swap meet junk is finally seeing new life with at least 6 new restaurants coming and a new Ross is coming to the old Woolworth building. That's all for now.
I've never been in Houston before, all I know is that from pictures I have seen it looks very spread out and not much pedestrian activity, it does have some nice skyscrapers though

Old 01-17-2012, 12:25 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
The Regional Connector's environmental documents were released early and are now in the public comment stage: Executive Summary Part1 of 3

This bodes well for the quick construction (I believe 2018 is the goal) and will add 4 more subway stops downtown. This will establish downtown as an even stronger transit center and allow for one seat trips from East LA to Santa Monica and Long Beach to Pasadena.

Other exciting transit news is that with the building of the One Santa Fe mixed use complex in the Arts District, the Red Line will be extended to the East Side of downtown. It's a part of the city I have really wanted to explore but there are no transit options that are time efficient enough, but once this gets put in I will definitely check it out.
There is no doubt that it is exciting times for downtown LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City