Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 02:17 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
That has got to be the strangest way to get a feel for what a downtown is like .

I don't think there are much similarities between DT LA and Phoenix at all.
So just talking street level, what city would you put in comparison to DTLA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 02:22 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
So just talking street level, what city would you put in comparison to DTLA?
I like the Seattle/Philly lite description, or the larger Atlanta/Houston description.

IMO Phoenix has one of the worst big-city downtown areas in the country, while I think LA belongs in the top 10.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I like the Seattle/Philly lite description, or the larger Atlanta/Houston description.

IMO Phoenix has one of the worst big-city downtown areas in the country, while I think LA belongs in the top 10.
I'm sure LA trumps Phoenix as I have only seen Phoenix when landing at the airport, but what I am trying to say is that from an esthetic POV, some images reminded me of LA, not the whole downtown, I have to totally disagree with the Philly comparison, the streets are much more narrow there and Seattle is a bit more comparable though LA's most vibrant areas are much more ghetto LOL

Old 01-16-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I'm sure LA trumps Phoenix as I have only seen Phoenix when landing at the airport, but what I am trying to say is that from an esthetic POV, some images reminded me of LA, not the whole downtown, I have to totally disagree with the Philly comparison, the streets are much more narrow there and Seattle is a bit more comparable though LA's most vibrant areas are much more ghetto LOL
Yeah the streets of Philly are more narrow, but what I am going for is the buildings' style in both cities (not highrises though, though both are pretty comparable as well). The thing to remember is most of Los Angeles' downtown was built pre-war, the area is built at a human-scale throughout where I don't think it is true of Phoenix at all, and true to a lesser extent for Houston, Atlanta and Miami.

Yes the vibrant downtown neighborhoods in DTLA are more "ghetto" than Seattle's but they are certainly livable and continuously gaining amenities and becoming less ghetto. However I would hate downtown to become "yuppified" as they say...

Last edited by munchitup; 01-16-2012 at 03:05 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 03:00 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
I think downtown Houston comes the closest in terms of similarity with downtown Los Angeles. I guess an honorable mention would be Dallas or San Diego. Other than those cites there aren't really any other downtown's that are comparable to LA especially at street level. Among the Sunbelt cities LA is really on its on level in regards to downtown amenities.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:10 PM

Why does everyone keep saying Houston? I know from afar they look similar but at street level they're completely different

Old 01-16-2012, 03:12 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
I thought Downtown LA wasn't vibrant. (According to what I've heard from the people that live in LA)

Old 01-16-2012, 03:19 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I thought Downtown LA wasn't vibrant. (According to what I've heard from the people that live in LA)
Not true at all. Well, it really depends on the area. Where i was there (Garment District, Fashion district, Toy District..etc) It was Packed! It was hard to get through the crowd of people.

People really underrate the Downtown LA area imo.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:21 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Not true at all. Well, it really depends on the area. Where i was (Garment District, Fashion district, Toy District..etc) It was Packed! It was hard to get through the crowd of people.

People really underrate the Downtown LA area imo.
And when the person lived there.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Why does everyone keep saying Houston? I know from afar they look similar but at street level they're completely different
In what ways are they different?

I think people are saying Houston because both have a pretty sound base of mid-rise office buildings (5-15 stories) and have fairly similar skylines, overall they are closer to the same size. Phoenix on the other hand is mostly just highrises popping out of a sea of otherwise low density.

Last edited by munchitup; 01-16-2012 at 03:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City