Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 06:29 PM

573 posts, read 1,360,829 times

Advertisements

LA has the third best skyline in the united states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 08:03 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge112597 View Post
No it doesn't, I wouldn't even put it in the top7, vibrancy is a different story though

Old 01-17-2012, 08:20 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

Other exciting transit news is that with the building of the One Santa Fe mixed use complex in the Arts District, the Red Line will be extended to the East Side of downtown. It's a part of the city I have really wanted to explore but there are no transit options that are time efficient enough, but once this gets put in I will definitely check it out.
There is no doubt that it is exciting times for downtown LA.
I read about that recently. I don't get where that will extend from? Union station? and what is the timing on that extension?

Old 01-17-2012, 08:36 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post

You can say that about tons of cities. Every city has their homegrown gangster rappers like NWA, as well as other types of music that deal with "dark" subject matter. Hip Hop itself came from NYC. Seattle spawned grunge, The Bay Area and LA both gave rise to thrash metal, and The Bay, LA and NYC all played a big part in the development of Punk rock. What about the blues? That's often some dark, "seedy" and depressing music as well, and has roots all over the south. You also mentioned the Doors and Guns N Roses, but psychedelic and hard/classic rock are also far from being unique to LA.
Yes....I agree with much of what you've stated. I'd just add the following:

1. Main point of my pop music references was that SOME people think LA's pop music history is all fun and sun: Beach Boys, Eagles, singersong writers of the 1970's, etc.

2. LA's punk music scene was arguably MORE extreme than either SF or NYC. Though clearly NYC's scene developed a bit earlier and spanwed more popular acts. Harcore punk was invented in LA: The Germs, Black Flag, etc. The LA scene was downright nihilistic compared to SF, DC, and NYC. THough all three cities produced great music in that era.

3. Gangsta Rap: Created by Schooly D (Philadelphia) and Ice-T (Los Angles). But the "bible" of gangsta rap was created by NWA (from Compton).

Old 01-17-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Yes....I agree with much of what you've stated. I'd just add the following:

1. Main point of my pop music references was that SOME people think LA's pop music history is all fun and sun: Beach Boys, Eagles, singersong writers of the 1970's, etc.

2. LA's punk music scene was arguably MORE extreme than either SF or NYC. Though clearly NYC's scene developed a bit earlier and spanwed more popular acts. Harcore punk was invented in LA: The Germs, Black Flag, etc. The LA scene was downright nihilistic compared to SF, DC, and NYC. THough all three cities produced great music in that era.

3. Gangsta Rap: Created by Schooly D (Philadelphia) and Ice-T (Los Angles). But the "bible" of gangsta rap was created by NWA (from Compton).
True LA did put westcoast on the map with NWA, before that little of westcoast/gangsta rap was known outside of CA, on the other hand though I think not enough credit has been given to Atlanta for its early contributions

Old 01-17-2012, 10:47 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge112597 View Post
Define best.

Houston has the 3rd TALLEST US skyline & Miami has the 3rd largest.

LA has one building a measly 16 feet taller than Houston's tallest, but the rest in Houston are much taller than LA.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:06 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
For those that are familiar with dt LA isn't it great that its renaissance is not concentrated to one or two areas but all over dt LA. Green spaces, restaurants, new retail, new residents, new hotels, refurbishing the old and even new skyscrapers coming. I hear the Wilshire Grand project which will be the tallest outside of NY and Chicago is set to start in March or early April with the demolishing of the existing hotel. And Broadway, finally new life! For Broadway its almost unbelieveable!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:21 AM

940 posts, read 2,026,960 times
I don't think Denver and LA are comparable in size/vibrancy, but I do think they have a very similar look in parts. I think the following comparison is a little better:

los angeles, ca - Google Maps

denver, co - Google Maps

Old 01-18-2012, 12:23 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
For those that are familiar with dt LA isn't it great that its renaissance is not concentrated to one or two areas but all over dt LA. Green spaces, restaurants, new retail, new residents, new hotels, refurbishing the old and even new skyscrapers coming. I hear the Wilshire Grand project which will be the tallest outside of NY and Chicago is set to start in March or early April with the demolishing of the existing hotel. And Broadway, finally new life! For Broadway its almost unbelieveable!
Especially to those who remember what it was like only 20 years ago. And this has come about despite operating in a brutal regional economy. Its pretty obvious its going to go off once the country and state pull out of this.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Especially to those who remember what it was like only 20 years ago. And this has come about despite operating in a brutal regional economy. Its pretty obvious its going to go off once the country and state pull out of this.
The one thing that I am excited about is the river revitalization plan, but only god knows if I will even be alive when that project is finished
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City