Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF Bay Area's position.
#2, Ahead of Washington 44 14.15%
#3, After Washington 39 12.54%
Neither 228 73.31%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:56 PM

254 posts, read 693,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Philly is, and always will be it's own city, but it's also apart of a larger NYC/Jersey/Philly urban and cultural landscape. People seem to forget just how similar NYC and Philly are culturally. Anyway, all you outsiders just sound jealous, at the fact that you will fall even further behind .
I live in Fresno. I don't think we were a threat to pass NY or Philadelphia in the near 1000 years. So, nothing for me to be jealous about.

So, are you a suburb of New York?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 08:07 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,111,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Anyway, all you outsiders just sound jealous, at the fact that you will fall even further behind .
wouldn't we be catching up due to Philly dragging New York down..

Old 07-07-2011, 08:47 PM

9 posts, read 14,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikkk View Post
Or neither? When it comes to recognition, infleunce, importance and power.
san francisco is ranked behind:
NY, Chicago, LA, and........
im not sure after these three but SF is still a great city

Old 07-07-2011, 08:55 PM

336 posts, read 768,904 times
SF doesn't have sh^t on DC

Old 07-07-2011, 11:23 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,919,062 times
Based on the opinion of myself and what I deem to be the general opinion of CD after hours of deliberation, I think it is safe to say SF bay is the #5 area in the United States. Houston, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Dallas, and of course Boston can battle for #6, but it seems the mobs of CD have solidly labled the "top 5" metropolitan areas. It's really all quite trivial and lets recognize that few people off this website give a **** about any of this...

Old 07-08-2011, 01:03 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,590,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikkk View Post
Is the SF Bay Area #2 or #3 in the United States?

I almost urinated in my pants when I read this , ppl on City-Data
are something to behold. The number 2 and number 3 spot are forever
tied to the cities of Los Angeles and Chicago Ill.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:41 AM

120 posts, read 107,629 times
I'm not sure why this discussion is even taking place. Along with NYC and Chicago, San Francisco is one of America's three most important cities.

Los Angeles was never in the discussion until about 1920. Since that time, it's improved its visibility - the film industry has made that city its American capital, and the ports there have become important. Still, in cultural importance it remains secondary (unless you're a fan of bad Hollywood movies).

Washington is, and should be, renowned for the political power concentrated there. That doesn't make it a great city. The Kennedy Center is better known for the out-of-town talent it brings in than for its homegrown companies: the National is decent (thanks largely to Leonard Slatkin), and the Washington National Opera couldn't even find the funding to complete a Ring cycle several years ago. Yes, there are the Smithsonian museums, and the Folger Shakespeare library, and a number of other great repositories, but they're there because DC is the national capital. They aren't inextricably tied to their place in the same way the Frick, for instance, is to New York City, or the Asian Art Museum is to San Francisco in the wake of Avery Brundage's gift some decades ago.

It doesn't matter whether the Bay Area is #2 or #3... in the final analysis, it's in the top three no matter how you slice it. New York, Chicago, and San Francisco are this country's leading cities, and always will be.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:04 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post

Perhaps this was the case in the 1980s and 1990s but things have changed since then. San Francisco and Washington are giving those 2 a real run for their money right now.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:15 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,020,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Perhaps this was the case in the 1980s and 1990s but things have changed since then. San Francisco and Washington are giving those 2 a real run for their money right now.
anyone who thinks the bay area is the second most important area in the U.S. is outright delusional. Even putting it at number three is beyond generous.

this poll is absurd and shows the type of delusion that is often common place in the bay area. as this poll shows however, that delusion is not shared by most people.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:37 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,386,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post

Forever eh? I'm pretty sure that's what the British thought in 1913 about their nice empire lasting forever....things can fall MUCH faster than most people realize.

This is why ranking places is stupid. People get so caught up in their relative rank, without the realization that even a loss of ONE of these areas would permanently change the economic and political layout of the nation as a WHOLE.

People in this thread are so caught up in trying to put down the Bay Area so much, but the irony is you guys are doing this on the INTERNET using the COMPUTER.....what's next? Trying to be an environmentalist while driving an SUV? Eating a hamburger while extolling the values of veganism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City