Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF Bay Area's position.
#2, Ahead of Washington 44 14.15%
#3, After Washington 39 12.54%
Neither 228 73.31%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:28 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,868,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
What is with this hatred for philly?? I think that many people in other american cities feel threaten that philly is on an upswing. And WhiteIrishRebel making no sense saying that philly is dragging new york down? philly isnt even a part of new york, and the philadelphia metro area was and still is voted ahead of boston and Dc and best suburbs to live.
No one's "threatened" by it.

Let me be completely forthright with you... this isn't a cuddly thing to say, but honestly? To most people in the US, Philly is an afterthought. Why? I don't know. Maybe it's overshadowed by its general proximity to NYC and Boston and DC and people can only think of three metropolii per region. I don't know.

But in LA, SF, Seattle, Boston... the cities I've lived in... you hear it mentioned by people in day-to-day life maybe two, three times a year, discounting when people talk about a Philly cheese steak.

I'm not saying that it's a worthless town or anything of the sort. I like Philly. It's just not on most peoples' radars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 06:55 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,189,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
No one's "threatened" by it.

Let me be completely forthright with you... this isn't a cuddly thing to say, but honestly? To most people in the US, Philly is an afterthought. Why? I don't know. Maybe it's overshadowed by its general proximity to NYC and Boston and DC and people can only think of three metropolii per region. I don't know.

But in LA, SF, Seattle, Boston... the cities I've lived in... you hear it mentioned by people in day-to-day life maybe two, three times a year, discounting when people talk about a Philly cheese steak.

I'm not saying that it's a worthless town or anything of the sort. I like Philly. It's just not on most peoples' radars.
Philly is not a "afterthought". Philly is more domestically visited than San Francisco. Yeah so much for an afterthought.

Last edited by nephi215; 07-09-2011 at 07:17 PM..

Old 07-09-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Philly is not a "afterthought". It's a more domestically visited than San Francisco. Yeah so much for an afterthought.
Then how come people from Philly on here are always whining about how, well, no one talks or cares about it?

Old 07-09-2011, 07:22 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,189,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Then how come people from Philly on here are always whining about how, well, no one talks or cares about it?
I constantly see Philly being mentioned or getting respect on city data. I don't know about you.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I constantly see Philly being mentioned or getting respect on city data. I don't know about you.
Mostly by people from Philly. I also see lots of threads in which people from Philly note that Philly doesn't get enough respect. It is one of the most talked about cities here at the moment, like Atlanta was six months ago... usually by homers wanting to know why it isn't held in the same or higher regard than other places.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:40 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Well that's on C-D, not the real world. Some people are obsessed with any urban city on here. IMO, Philly doesn't get much national media attention and people don't talk about it as much as other places but I don't see that as a bad thing at all.

It's annoying all the attention CA and some of its cities get. More attention attracts more outside criticism and some people get ego's about the city they live in. I would like if CA and some of the cities here got less attention and people just forgot about them. No one can say Philly is "overrated" because it's not really rated often like other places. It doesn't seem to get criticized as much as other places, doesn't seem to attract douchey transplants looking to live out some media glorified stereotypical lifestyle, and probably has more down to earth residents that don't feel they're special because the city they live in. I'd rather my city be considered underrated than overrated. It's actually one of the things I like about Philly.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well that's on C-D, not the real world. Some people are obsessed with any urban city on here. IMO, Philly doesn't get much national media attention and people don't talk about it as much as other places but I don't see that as a bad thing at all.

It's annoying all the attention CA and some of its cities get. More attention attracts more outside criticism and some people get ego's about the city they live in. I would like if CA and some of the cities here got less attention and people just forgot about them. No one can say Philly is "overrated" because it's not really rated often like other places. It doesn't seem to get criticized as much as other places, doesn't seem to attract douchey transplants looking to live out some media glorified stereotypical lifestyle, and probably has more down to earth residents that don't feel they're special because the city they live in. I'd rather my city be considered underrated than overrated. It's actually one of the things I like about Philly.
Exactly!

There's no show like The OC about Philly nor many movies made and centered there that are making thousands of kids choose it as a place to move to for school every semester so that they can be in the epicenter of "cool," dragging their stupid drunken shenanigans and myopic arrogance with them. There are no talking heads on Fox News blaming the whole state of Pennsylvania for the entire social and economic downfall of the US, no one saying that Philly is a third-world latrine when it's actually one of the wealthiest cities on the planet. Philly doesn't cross peoples' lips or minds anywhere near as much as SF or LA, and that's not always a bad thing!

Old 07-09-2011, 08:03 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,240,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215
Philly is not a "afterthought". Philly is more domestically visited than San Francisco. Yeah so much for an afterthought.
Philly may have more domestic visitors, or maybe not, domestic visitor statistics are not compiled by the US department of commerce as overseas stats are, but rather states and cities do their own math for domestic visitors...the criteria could include visits to hotel rooms, could be airline passengers, credit card purchases, traffic volume, some combination of those, could be for the metro, could be for a single city, or some completely undefined region (CSA? MSA? Metro division? The core city alone? Narnia? who knows...), visitors could have been counted multiple times as they visited different cities in the same metro, etc, so it's hard to do a straight comparison.

But, for the hell of it, here are numbers i've found for the Bay Area and for the Philly metro for total domestic visitors:
-Bay Area (11 counties, as defined by the census) - 70 million in 2005 (source: http://www.visitcalifornia.com/media...-06_FINAL2.pdf)
-Philly "region" (i'm guessing this means MSA or CSA, but who knows) - 36 million in 2009 (source: http://www.centercityphila.org/docs/...11_tourism.pdf)

So it looks like SF soundly beats Philly, except that we have no way of knowing what the exact criteria/methods for either city is...so for all we know, Philly actually has more domestic visitors, or maybe both places have conducted very inaccurate counts...or maybe they're both right.

So here are some more reliable stats, from the US Department of Commerce, for overseas visitors, from 2009 (excluding Canada and Mexico). SF smokes Philly here:

Overseas visitors 2009:
San Francisco - 2,636,000
Philadelphia - 633,000

SOURCE: http://tinet.ita.doc.gov/outreachpag...and_Cities.pdf

I wish we had more reliable stats for domestic visitors though. I could honestly see it going either way, with Philly or SF having more, so it's too bad we can't know for sure. One thing that Philly has in its favor for domestic tourists over SF though (and one reason why i could see it having more) is that it's in the middle of a region with way more people than the region SF is in, and within a smaller area as well (northeast vs. west coast).

Old 07-09-2011, 10:35 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
People already know SF is not in the same league as LA and Chicago.
Economically speaking, the Bay Area is bigger than Chicagoland despite having 2 Million less people.

2009 Gross Domestic Product
4. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA $535.327 Billion
5. Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA $515.119 Billion

Quote:
And by the looks of the poll they know it's not on the level of D.C. S.F is a tourist town. Tampa with out the hurricanes. Boston with out the colleges. With out Silicon Valley needing their financial district to bank, they would probably look something like Oakland.
Boring.

Please leave the snobbery for real snobs.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:54 PM

244 posts, read 629,520 times
When people talk about the center of the USA, I mostly hear New York, Los Angeles, Miami & Chicago. San Francisco also but not as much as the ones I mentioned first
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City