Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tenn without Nashville vs Georgia without Atlanta (city not MSA)
Georgia without Atlanta(city only) 49 30.06%
Tenn without Nashville(city only) 103 63.19%
Equal Tie 11 6.75%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:52 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Yes, I understand that...Nashville MSA is the same way. Brentwood and Franklin have a number of corporate headquarters...Murfreesboro, Smyrna, and La Vergne have a number of factories and logistical centers...but how many of those places be there without Nashville's air and rail hubs?

Perhaps rather than Metro, comparing each without its urbanized area would be better.
Good idea.If that were the question then I believe Atlanta by a long shot.Its MSA is just too massive to compare to Nashville.There just is no comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 08:23 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
One would be Mississippi North and the other would be Mississippi East. LOL

Old 03-18-2011, 08:25 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
TN by a long shot. TN is not a one trick pony. Take away Nashville they still have Knoxville, Memphis, Chattanooga, Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg.

Atlanta is the GA showstopper.
Well, I just want to point out that Atlanta is NOT BY FAR the only thing Georgia has going for it. How soon we forget Savannah...and there's also Athens (the college town) and Augusta (medical hub, military city, The Masters). However, once you take away the largest metros, the scale still tips in favor of Tennessee with Memphis, Knoxville, and Chattanooga. Plus, they would still have the mountains.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:51 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Good idea.If that were the question then I believe Atlanta by a long shot.Its MSA is just too massive to compare to Nashville.There just is no comparison.
I meant to say Georgia by a long shot.Nashville cities and areas within its MSA are much smaller themselves.Many of Atlanta headquarters are actually outside the city limits.Duluth,Marietta,Suwanee, and further out Calhoun and Columbus,etc.
GA has 32 companies in the f-1000.Of those,5 are outside Metro Atlanta(MSA)

Georgia has some huge economic engines like military bases.
Fort Benning-Columbus(also Aflac Headquarters)
http://www.georgiapower.com/GRC/pdf/...kings_2010.pdf
Fort Gordon-Augusta
Robins AFB-Warner Robins
etc

Old 03-18-2011, 09:18 AM

840 posts, read 2,086,993 times
Tennessee without Nashville is Alabama flipped sideways without the gulf and Georgia without Atlanta is South Carolina Stretched out. JK

Old 03-18-2011, 09:53 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
Tennessee without Nashville is Alabama flipped sideways without the gulf and Georgia without Atlanta is South Carolina Stretched out. JK
Actually a pretty fair comparison.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:00 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I agree.It is how you frame the question.I went back and forth.But I decided to only take the city center out of the equation and just focus on cities and counties.
In the Atlanta MSA/CSA there are cities that can stand on their own.Cities like Marietta,Gainesville,Decatur,Athens,Dalton etc...
Marietta itself has its own Cobb Energy Center,public transportation,headquarters of many companies and employment centers.
Let's be real: that stuff is only there because of its proximity to Atlanta. We're fooling ourselves if we think otherwise.

To be a bit more realistic (if that's even possible in such a scenario as this one), we need to consider the entire metro area instead of the arbitrary square mileage known as the city. In such a case, TN wins this contest IMO.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:45 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
I'm going with TN on this one. If for whatever reason Nashville and Atlanta came to a screeching halt on the same day I think TN would be able to do a better job of recovery.
Memphis would be in a pretty good position to take over for Nashville. They are already similar (talking strictly city population, Memphis is actually larger) both are transportation hubs, both have an internat'l airport, there is a duplication of gov't agencies such as irs, federal court and fbi field office, etc. And there has always been a good amount of competition for dominance between the two cities already.
OTOH if Atlanta came to a halt, it seems like the next largest cities have a way to go before they could come anywhere near to being able to pick up the slack and head up the state. I think GA would lose a lot of ground without Atlanta.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:41 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,439,496 times
Hate to say it but Georgia without Metro Atlanta would be far worse off than Tennessee without Metro Nashville.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:22 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,712,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Hate to say it but Georgia without Metro Atlanta would be far worse off than Tennessee without Metro Nashville.
We are talking city not metro. SAvannah one of the busiest ports. Brunswick port, Warner Robins AFB. Fort Benning. Kings Bays Nuclear Submarine Base. Fort Stewart, Fort Gordon, Dobbins ARB. GA is very important for the security of the USA. Sorry TN cannot top that. Georgia's economy Is far greater even without the "city". Memphis is a cesspool and Chattanooga and Knoxville are very mediocre. I love Chatt though. And most of Chatts suburbs are in Ga.

Last edited by brent6969; 03-19-2011 at 02:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City