Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is Houston the most like?
Los Angeles 41 38.32%
Atlanta 66 61.68%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:05 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times

Advertisements

I don't know but sections Houston, Dallas, and Fort Worth have those colorful frame houses you see in Compton and LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:06 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Houston doesnt have the scenery of LA or the glamor but feels like a younger LA, even as far as making the same mistakes LA made but fixing it earlier in growth stage
That's the thing though, I never got the feeling that Houston wanted to be glamorous. It always seemed like a place where ordinary people could come with very little money and yet live a comfortable life. I think the city that people went to act glamorous was more Dallas.

The Rich here mainly lived low key lives. the only extravagant resident that pops into my mind was Howard Hughes

Old 03-30-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I'm talking about this comment of yours, genius:

What is wrong with your eyes?
The differences are stark Genius, what is wrong with your eyes.

Like I said the historical houses in ATL, though they may be of the same material, the houses look different. The Houses are more similar in SA.

I don't know if it is because SA is more inland, but they were built differently. read more slowly, maybe it will sink in better

Old 03-30-2011, 11:09 AM

818 posts, read 1,387,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
That's the thing though, I never got the feeling that Houston wanted to be glamorous. It always seemed like a place where ordinary people could come with very little money and yet live a comfortable life. I think the city that people went to act glamorous was more Dallas.

The Rich here mainly lived low key lives. the only extravagant resident that pops into my mind was Howard Hughes
Houston feels like the LA 10 miles inland from coast, Houston feels coastal in a shrimp, seafood, oil way not surfers, volleyball, lifeguards type of way. But nothing of Houston reminds me of Atlanta, see more of LA than Atlanta in Houston IMO

Old 03-30-2011, 11:12 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
The differences are stark Genius, what is wrong with your eyes.

Like I said the historical houses in ATL, though they may be of the same material, the houses look different. The Houses are more similar in SA.

I don't know if it is because SA is more inland, but they were built differently. read more slowly, maybe it will sink in better
You need glasses if you can't see the similarities between many of the historic homes in Atlanta and Houston.

Or is this just you being salty again, and trying to spin things around to make it seem like you're right. Don't be a sore loser, Htown. It's not a good look

Old 03-30-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Houston feels like the LA 10 miles inland from coast, Houston feels coastal in a shrimp, seafood, oil way not surfers, volleyball, lifeguards type of way. But nothing of Houston reminds me of Atlanta, see more of LA than Atlanta in Houston IMO
yeah, I think the people who voted for ATL did that because they wouldn't even consider Houston being associated with LA.

Some people think saying Houston was built like LA means LA is like Houston, but that is faulty reasoning. LA was big long before Houston so although Houston may have picked up styles from LA doesn't mean they grew up in the same house and are related.

DC may have taken some styles from Paris but that doesn't mean Paris is like DC.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:14 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Houston doesnt have the scenery of LA or the glamor but feels like a younger LA, even as far as making the same mistakes LA made but fixing it earlier in growth stage
Houston may not have the scenery LA has with its hills & mountains, but don't discount Houston's natural beauty completely. The city is very forested & tropical looking with all of the pine & palm trees.

That said, Houston is forested like ATL with the tropical look of LA.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you say you've never been to Houston?

Old 03-30-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston may not have the scenery LA has with its hills & mountains, but don't discount Houston's natural beauty completely. The city is very forested & tropical looking with all of the pine & palm trees.
I don't think he meant it that way or was trying to be negative.

besides there are countless heavily forested cities.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
yeah, I think the people who voted for ATL did that because they wouldn't even consider Houston being associated with LA.
Yet, if LA was winning the poll, the results would be very valid, right? So transparent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City