Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:08 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
The vast majority of Pennsylvania's population resides within it's metropolitan areas.....and to a lesser extent it's urban areas.

I don't think it's half rural and half urban as the OP implies......I lived near Scranton most of my life....and never saw politics as the OP does.

Pennsylvania metropolitan areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
yes that's true of course but even so the politics do not split in this state metro vs rural, they split phila and pittsburgh vs the rest of the entire state.

metro areas like scranton and even the suburbs of the very cities we're talking about here vote more in line with a farmer in central pa than they do with a person living in philadelphia. there are some people who live in delaware and montgomery county right outside of philadelphia, and despite the fact the economy of their entire region is wholly dependent on philadelphia they despise the place like it's a parasite and the city and the suburbs were at war or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 11:23 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
The Pittsburgh and Philadelphia MSAs account for less than 60% of Pennsylvania's population, but more than 70% of Pennsylvania's economic output. Looks like the fools in the middle of the state are useless by comparison.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The Pittsburgh and Philadelphia MSAs account for less than 60% of Pennsylvania's population, but more than 70% of Pennsylvania's economic output. Looks like the fools in the middle of the state are useless by comparison.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:00 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times
But my question is are there other states with this dynamic of Rural Areas overshadowing the Big Cities in State politics.

I mean think about this.....Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are thought more of from the rest of the country than they are in their own state...It's like outside PA the word is look how great Philly and The Burgh are doing economically and culturally top cities in alot of categories. Inside PA both cities are treated as 2nd class...You'd think any state with 2 cities getting so much National and World attention and have rebounded and are now thriving, the State would be throwing tons of Resources behind the cities to make sure they continue to thrive and flourish.

Instead PA politics are trying to sabotage the cities, especially the new GOV Corbett, I just have this feeling he's going to be VERY anti-Pittsburgh and Philadelphia....His cutting funding to Education and the Big Schools while allowing for tax-free drilling for Shales is only the beginning.

Pittsburgh and Philadelphia's biggest set-back is they're in the state of Pennsylvania.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 03-25-2011 at 06:21 AM..

Old 03-25-2011, 09:22 AM

I can tell you first-hand that many people in rural Georgia loathe Atlanta, and complain about how "unfair" it is that Atlanta "gets all the attention."

Old 03-25-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
But my question is are there other states with this dynamic of Rural Areas overshadowing the Big Cities in State politics.

I mean think about this.....Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are thought more of from the rest of the country than they are in their own state...It's like outside PA the word is look how great Philly and The Burgh are doing economically and culturally top cities in alot of categories. Inside PA both cities are treated as 2nd class...You'd think any state with 2 cities getting so much National and World attention and have rebounded and are now thriving, the State would be throwing tons of Resources behind the cities to make sure they continue to thrive and flourish.

Instead PA politics are trying to sabotage the cities, especially the new GOV Corbett, I just have this feeling he's going to be VERY anti-Pittsburgh and Philadelphia....His cutting funding to Education and the Big Schools while allowing for tax-free drilling for Shales is only the beginning.

Pittsburgh and Philadelphia's biggest set-back is they're in the state of Pennsylvania.
well said. I say we sucede from pennsylvania and create our own state of philaburgh, any nearbt suburbs are welcome to join us. imagine what we could do if all the tax money we took in actually went to improving these two great cities.

haha i'm kidding of course but the funny thing is that most people in rural pa would love to see this happen and us out of pa... Haha even though a pa without would dry up and die in about of year. So much blind hate and rage.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:49 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
There is a reason the state is known to many as "Pennsyltucky"

Old 03-25-2011, 09:57 AM

894 posts, read 2,314,682 times
Virginia I guess is somewhat similar. The residents in the DC(NoVa) area are always complaining nothing ever gets done for them, that the rest of VA(RoVa) controlls everything. I wonder if Illinois and California etc have similar complaints.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
There is a reason the state is known to many as "Pennsyltucky"
Yeah, ignorance. Even in the most remote mountainous areas of central Pennsylvania, the rate of educational attainment is orders of magnitude higher than anywhere in mountainous eastern Kentucky, and the rate of poverty is orders of magnitude lower. People who use the term "Pennsyltucky" are basically labeling the entire state as Appalachian white trash, which is total bull****, especially considering over 2,000,000 people in the state aren't even white in the first place.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:09 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Im a big fan of Pittsburgh. I love the city.
I can take of leave Philadelphia, Scranton, Hazleton, Wilkes-Barre.

But I've been to way too many small towns that scare the freak'n bejesus out of me. Where the only place you can get a beer is at a legion hall or VFW Hall that is full of very angry, drunk undereducated, and unemployed rednecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City