Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate do you prefer?
Humid Climate 74 22.77%
Arid Climate 39 12.00%
Mediterranean Climate 212 65.23%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,148 times

Advertisements

Have looked and looked for a temperate climate like Santa Barbara - outside the US - with low humidity, not arid, near the water and relatively constant afternoon temperatures ---- in 60's, 70's ------ and a lower cost of living and coming up empty. Any ideas, suggestions? It has been a wild goose chase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 08:49 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guadeloupe View Post
Have looked and looked for a temperate climate like Santa Barbara - outside the US - with low humidity, not arid, near the water and relatively constant afternoon temperatures ---- in 60's, 70's ------ and a lower cost of living and coming up empty. Any ideas, suggestions? It has been a wild goose chase.
Outside of the United States?

Mediterranean Sea, obviously. Places like Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Turkey, northern Morocco, Algeria, and the Middle East along the Mediterranean have these climates. Like the West Coast of Syria, and around there.

Tip of South Africa.

Western Ethiopia, near the Nile River and Sudan/South Sudan.

West coast of Chile.

West coast of Australia, aka Perth.

That's about it that fit the same climate. Some of these places, like in Italy, are humid. You have to research further. I think you should look into Barcelona it was the closest I've experienced to Southern California weather.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:58 PM

155 posts, read 149,753 times
Arid barely edged out Mediterranean for me: the feel of the evening coming on, at the end of an 80-90-ish day in the desert southwest. As the sun sets, the mountains bathed in warm light, a dry breeze, and a cold drink.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:05 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
I like a climate like Yuma,Arizona best.I also like climates Like San Antonio,TX so I am torn but I voted arid.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:45 PM

242 posts, read 239,593 times
Max Humidity.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:19 PM

30,343 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guadeloupe View Post
Valparaiso, Chile and Cape Town, South Africa. You could live cheaply in Valparaiso or Vina del Mar and have a similar climate to Santa Barbara.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:28 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An2n View Post
Take the Med climate, eliminate the problem of summer dryness/drought, while retaining all the benefits (mild winters, plentiful sunshine, etc), and you get the Humid Subtropical climate.
The dry summer is the benefit of the Mediterranean climate, a majority of people, myself included don't like muggy summers

Old 01-28-2017, 11:33 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
While Seattle has, in my opinion, the best weather of any major city in the US, I prefer Humid Climates for the most part. More so Great Plains/Midwest than Gulf Coast. I love thunderstorms too much (lack of being my only complaint for Seattle's weather) and they seem more common in humid regions.

On a side note, I agree with some others who say Mediterranean Climates are overrated. Growing up, my family had a vacation home in the Bay Area (my parents still own it) and we traveled often to LA for family. Aside from being completely boring and bland in terms of weather, it was also very hot, or at least in LA (no, the sun is not "different" in California). Those two metros are great places to live, but weather/climate is not a draw for me.

Also, before someone says "oh, but Dallas'/Texas' weather is so much worse," well, yes, I don't claim to love Texas' or Dallas' weather, aside from the more frequent thunderstorms, and I love those places for different reasons, much like I love the Bay Area for reasons besides weather.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:00 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
While Seattle has, in my opinion, the best weather of any major city in the US, I prefer Humid Climates for the most part. More so Great Plains/Midwest than Gulf Coast. I love thunderstorms too much (lack of being my only complaint for Seattle's weather) and they seem more common in humid regions.

Also, before someone says "oh, but Dallas'/Texas' weather is so much worse," well, yes, I don't claim to love Texas' or Dallas' weather, aside from the more frequent thunderstorms, and I love those places for different reasons, much like I love the Bay Area for reasons besides weather.
Seattle has the best weather? That is an opinion I have almost never heard, unless it was immediately followed by "in the summer." But it's good to hear that some people are in favor of it. The region is very beautiful.

As for thunderstorms, you may be surprised at how frequently we have them in the Southwest during the summer monsoon season.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:27 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Seattle has the best weather? That is an opinion I have almost never heard, unless it was immediately followed by "in the summer." But it's good to hear that some people are in favor of it. The region is very beautiful.

As for thunderstorms, you may be surprised at how frequently we have them in the Southwest during the summer monsoon season.
I really like the cloud cover and rain, even if the storms aren't very powerful. Since I was young, sunlight tended to made my skin very uncomfortable, with and without block. I also feel like colors in nature are so much more vibrant after it rains while the sun makes everything look dull. Or maybe that's only how it works in Texas d:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City