Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How big/small do the following metros feel?
ATL feels about its size 6 4.65%
ATL feels bigger 20 15.50%
ATL feels smaller 18 13.95%
DFW feels about its size 1 0.78%
DFW feels bigger 32 24.81%
DFW feels smaller 9 6.98%
Houston feels about its size 6 4.65%
Houston feels bigger 31 24.03%
Houston feels smaller 6 4.65%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 02:01 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
They do in fact have one big loop.

See my post above.
Metro Matt please show me the DFW loop you speak of.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:02 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
well, no one is asying Houston feels like LA, if they set up a poll asking if LA feels like an area of 12M or an area of more, betcha anything people will say it feels bigger.

don't compare cities, compare feelings.

most people think Houston feels bigger because you hop on at Katy and you see all these big buildings and two hours later you are still driving and there are still big buildings.

I guess it is the perception from the highways. LA does the same darn thing.

you are thinking of ground level feelings like NE people always do. I don't think anyone who has posted so far are thinking of it like that.

Those 3 metros cover too much darn area to just stand on a street corner in each and say, okay, I think this one feels bigger than that one, and that one feels bigger. nope you have got to hit the roads, and when you have got that much distance to cover you got to hit the highways.

forget about your core nonsense for a while. You are talking about 3 southern sprawling cities so screw the core and your suburban nonsense. Throw those words out of your vocabulary. And start thinking about driving threw these cities along the highways and what you feel along each.
Yeah D/FW is not like that at all.

You hop on I-20, I-30, or 183 & see nothing but strip malls & low rise buildings between Dallas & Fort Worth. There are no skyscrapers hugging ultra wide freeways for 50 miles in any direction like in Houston. You just don't see that in D/FW.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:02 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
It is the scrotal part of the DFW phallic highway system.

EDIT: didn't know you could not say scro-tum on here

Old 04-17-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I already described it.

All you have to do is look at a map to see I-20, 820, 183, & 635 form one giant loop around the Metroplex. Did you want me to draw it out in Paint for you?

When the Bush Turnpike is complete the loop will be even larger (on the Dallas side anyways).

Old 04-17-2011, 02:05 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
must you always be so difficult? You never got out of those terrible twos did you. They tell you do something and you just cross your arms and shout no? don't know what you are saying here

tell me which street corner you can stand on and get the feel of a 8,000 sq mile metro area

I don't think NY and Chicago feels larger than they are at all.

but yet again, you have not developed the maturity to go passed your prejudices and just image what you are told to imagine, so you will never get what people are talking about in this thread. You are still sitting here cogitating on a different wavelength from everyone else. Bet you are there counting on your fingers, saying if it feels like 10M then it would have to be like LA and it feels smaller than LA so it can't feel like LA. That is not what people are asking you to do.

You would feel that an area with 50 miles of non stop development would have at least 10M people, that is what people are talking about, a feeling. even though you stand at a corner and see 500 people walk by in 5 minutes you cannot say you get the feeling that 10M people live here because the sample area is too small. but if you drive for 50 miles and see the development then you get that FEELING.

Actually HTown I feel very clear in what the question is and what is being said; to me the answer is they FEEL the size that they are; nothing more nothing less. I completely understand the question and in perspective it does not feel like SOCAL or the NE in terms of are of development. They all to me basically feel aboutr the size they are; even when driving through

And HTown read again, I said the only metros that feel larger are NYC, Chicago, and LA - meaning they feel larger and surprise, they are

Also, 50 miles of non-stop development honestly to me seems like a norm for a large metro and in many instances I am used to much larger distances than just 50 miles so while i agree it feels large; it is not really something that seems at all unique. I am not saying it seems smaller but that it doesnt feel like a mamoth metro like and LA or NYC; even by car

and two year old, because someone disagrees you suggest they be quiet; yep seems like a two yo mentality to me

On size Houston, DFW and Atlanta all feel very expansive, no doubt but they also feel very sprawled which seeing vast swaths of open space makes it feel as it is large, expansive and large in population, but about the feel of what it is - that is no slight at all but Houston as an example yeilds to a whole lot of nothing after a while and the huge interchanges especially as you get further out to me make everything feel more spread and thus I get the feeling that it is less populated. Is the highway system expansive, yes but does that make it feel larger population wise, no; it just feels more like a sunbelt city as the inverse may make it feel not like a subelt city. It isnt good or bad, but it feels the size it is. LA feels bigger as it goes on and on and pretty much continuously developed, it gives a much different feel so to me is how I compare the two and Houston feels smaller and about its size in this relative comparison...

Old 04-17-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I think what is throwing them off is that they think we are saying it feels much much bigger.

I think Houston feels bigger but not much bigger. I think the City of Dallas feels bigger than a city of 1M but I think the Metro doesn't feel as big as Houston Metro because the strings of development isn't maintained for as long.

As DFW highways improve and the spread of buildings along them increases, DFW will feel a lot bigger than Houston because there are a heck more freeways up there.
Fort Worth is the problem. The skyline is small for a city its size. Fort Worth does have a developing midtown, uptown, and downtown region (at least on paper). If the city (Fort Worth) follows through with the plan DFW would feel a lot larger.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Fort Worth is the problem. The skyline is small for a city its size. Fort Worth does have a developing midtown, uptown, and downtown region (at least on paper). If the city (Fort Worth) follows through with the plan DFW would feel a lot larger.
So small Greenway Plaza or the Med Center in Houston could give it a run for its money.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I already described it.

All you have to do is look at a map to see I-20, 820, 183, & 635 form one giant loop around the Metroplex. Did you want me to draw it out in Paint for you?

When the Bush Turnpike is complete the loop will be even larger (on the Dallas side anyways).
Thats not a loop...

Old 04-17-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Thats not a loop...
That's like saying the SF Bay Area does not have a giant loop, which it does in fact have.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
So small Greenway Plaza or the Med Center in Houston could give it a run for its money.
I wouldn't exactly say that...Fort Worth just lack the skycrapers...which would give it a more big city feel...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City