Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How big/small do the following metros feel?
ATL feels about its size 6 4.65%
ATL feels bigger 20 15.50%
ATL feels smaller 18 13.95%
DFW feels about its size 1 0.78%
DFW feels bigger 32 24.81%
DFW feels smaller 9 6.98%
Houston feels about its size 6 4.65%
Houston feels bigger 31 24.03%
Houston feels smaller 6 4.65%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:12 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
At the airports alone, Atlanta's HJ makes you feel like you're in a bigger city than Houston or Dallas. Or atleast, a more "important" city. But when your plane is on the taxiway, off in the distance you can see the skyline, and from that angle it makes it look rather tiny, and you're like "that's it?"

Then again, I always forget the Texas cities have two airports to ATL's one.
Dallas Love field has the Dallas Skyline in the background (makes Dallas feel very cosmopolitan)

Old 04-17-2011, 09:22 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Dallas Love field has the Dallas Skyline in the background (makes Dallas feel very cosmopolitan)
Isn't that airport the reason there's a height restriction for buildings in the city, though?

Old 04-17-2011, 09:26 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,985,076 times
Overall I think that Atlanta feels smaller than it is. Perhaps partially because of the large number of trees. You can drive 5 minutes outside of downtown and see practically nothing but trees. Coming from California it's pretty incredible and it really feels country. But then when you see downtown Atlanta driving in, it looks much larger than you expect. It looks like a really big city. But then you park and walk around and it feels like a big town again. I'm not expecting NYC or SF, but it's much less urban feeling than downtown LA.

Also Atlanta doesn't have a street grid. So whereas in LA you have pretty much continuous development, in Atlanta you have jumps and starts. It's developed, then not, then developed again. Compared to west coast cities (which contrary to city data opinion sprawl very little) and northeast cities, it seems like a really big town rather than a major metro. I know that it's not and maybe it's just too big and too spread out to take it all in, but outside of downtown it's pretty much like being in Charlotte, Raleigh, or Nashville only bigger.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:36 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
Downtown Atlanta (while smaller) seemed to be somewhat pretty on par with downtown LA when it comes to urbanity. I've heard LA has come a long way, but neither city's CBD is a Chicago Loop or Center City.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:37 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Quote:
Isn't that airport the reason there's a height restriction for buildings in the city, though?
I heard, some parts of Downtown has height restrictions. BOA Plaza was suppose to be 3 stories taller.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
"Yes" that is rumor...That airport is pretty darn close to downtown Dallas. If Dallas is going to build a super tall to rival Bank of America it will probably be built in Uptown Dallas. I don't believe there are height restrictions in uptown Dallas.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:53 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,985,076 times
Quote:
Downtown Atlanta (while smaller) seemed to be somewhat pretty on par with downtown LA when it comes to urbanity. I've heard LA has come a long way, but neither city's CBD is a Chicago Loop or Center City.
I guess that we all see things differently even when seeing the same things, but my impression was that the buildings in downtown Atlanta are on average much farther apart and more often setback. The new condos are also setback and the sidewalks are often narrow like in the suburbs. Atlanta probably has more to do and may have much more to do. I didn't really spend enough time there, but this was my impression from driving and walking around for a couple of hours on a Saturday.

And I'm not trying to say that downtown LA is the Loop or midtown Manhattan or anything. I think that the downtown that is most like downtown LA that I've been to is Dallas. It's similar to me except smaller.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I guess that we all see things differently even when seeing the same things, but my impression was that the buildings in downtown Atlanta are on average much farther apart and more often setback. The new condos are also setback and the sidewalks are often narrow like in the suburbs. Atlanta probably has more to do and may have much more to do. I didn't really spend enough time there, but this was my impression from driving and walking around for a couple of hours on a Saturday.

And I'm not trying to say that downtown LA is the Loop or midtown Manhattan or anything. I think that the downtown that is most like downtown LA that I've been to is Dallas. It's similar to me except smaller.

Downtown Dallas skyline is very compact compared to other southern cities....Atlanta skyline is more spread out...I pretty much agree with your observation...

Old 04-17-2011, 10:23 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
"Yes" that is rumor...That airport is pretty darn close to downtown Dallas. If Dallas is going to build a super tall to rival Bank of America it will probably be built in Uptown Dallas. I don't believe there are height restrictions in uptown Dallas.
Uptown Dallas is right in the flight path for Love Field. They have height restrictions like Downtown.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Uptown Dallas is right in the flight path for Love Field. They have height restrictions like Downtown.
Well Dallas want be having any structure larger than the BOA if thats the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City