Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Orleans vs San Francisco
San Francisco 262 57.71%
New Orleans 192 42.29%
Voters: 454. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 07:28 PM

11 posts, read 16,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The beaches within a few hours drive of NOLA are much better weatherwise and for swimming than any beach in Northern CA. Nowhere in Ca can match the sand and warm, clear water of Northern FL beaches. Beaches in the city of SF are actually pretty gross for the most part, especially Ocean Beach.

Overall SF offers so much more than New Orleans but NOLA is such a special place in America. It truly feels like it has a soul and there is just this uniqueness and something about it SF can't match. I feel it has more character too and since it's smaller feels a lot more intimate. I feel like a lot of the people in NOLA are natives whose roots go back pretty deep, you don't get that feeling in SF anymore really. SF has become a much more transient and transplanted city. I've generally had better experiences with strangers in NOLA than I have in SF, just something about the people of that city that make it great. SF will beat out New Orleans in most categories and on paper, but what makes NOLA better than SF you can't really quantify with stats but only with experience.
I really like the way you captured what is attractive about NO. I am not able to choose between these two gorgeous cities, and I am trying to, because in one year I will retire and move to either SF or NO. I love both places so much that I don't know which one to pick, and I am trying to see if this blog will help me with my big decision. I am reading the whole blog, and I really liked the way you characterized that feeling about NO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 07:55 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,085,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I prefer hot, humid and thunderstormy summers to cool, windy and overcast weather, which SF has no shortage of. Yuppies are also annoying for me. SF is surely a nice place to visit, but New Orleans is my preference, it's just more unique. SF seems like it's trying too hard to be the next world-class city, like New York City, Paris, etc. New Orleans is comfortable with what it is and has it's own unique culture.
Couldn't be more true. Sometimes I think we need better PR because of all the ridiculous misconceptions, but then I remember that its never been a priority to sell people on the magic of New Orleans. When people don't get it, we're fine with that...for the most part

Old 11-25-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
I was in n.o. lat wknd for vacay. I'm in s.f. This wknd for vacay. Let me say this, I have no bias for either. I currently live in Atlanta where I moved from NYC.

There is a unique experience in n.o. that is unmatched in the us. There is a unique lifestyle that sf offers that takes a piece of bos, ny, dc, sea and Europe and rolls into a great place. I'm contemplating a move this summer. Along with Philly, these are my 2 options.

I've already lived in Chicago, NYC, and Atlanta.
Did you move? Which did you pick? Are you happy with your choice? I am very interested because I will retire and move to either SF or NO in one year. I know both cities, and I like them both, in different ways, and I am having a hard time choosing!

Old 11-25-2013, 08:04 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,348 times
Both are great cities I've imagine them together as one city. Now that would be the ultimate city. SF is not only my favorite city in CA but on the west coast.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:16 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,736 times
New Orleans can't compete with San Francisco at anything worthwhile.

IMO.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:24 PM

75 posts, read 117,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
New Orleans can't compete with San Francisco at anything worthwhile.

IMO.
"Anything worthwhile" like what? You're constantly on the forum bashing New Orleans and you live here. Why don't you just leave? Can't afford San Francisco? Well that's become unfortunate for us all hasn't it...

Old 11-25-2013, 09:34 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,736 times
Default New Orleans vs San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyReverie View Post
"Anything worthwhile" like what? You're constantly on the forum bashing New Orleans and you live here. Why don't you just leave? Can't afford San Francisco? Well that's become unfortunate for us all hasn't it...
My business partner is politically connected in south Louisiana and I am enjoying having you pay us for subbed out consulting contracts. I wanted to live in New Orleans because I thought it would be something more than what it is. Will be moving soon.

New Orleans homers.. good grief.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:45 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
My business partner is politically connected in south Louisiana and I am enjoying having you pay us for subbed out consulting contracts. I wanted to live in New Orleans because I thought it would be something more than what it is. Will be moving soon.

I can get you a free taxi ride to MSY.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:02 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,085,140 times
Quote:

She's a "homer" because she's grown tired of your negativity about New Orleans Is it not true that you repeatedly downplay N.O. because its not your style or for whatever reason? Your vague "anything worthwhile" statement makes it pretty evident that you just don't like it here. And thats more than fine, but don't get defensive when others disagree with you.

Glad to know you'll be relieved soon. I hope Annie gets you that cab

Old 11-26-2013, 11:57 AM

It’s a tie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City