Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Orleans vs San Francisco
San Francisco 262 57.71%
New Orleans 192 42.29%
Voters: 454. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:31 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Crime isn't worse than many many larger cities, murder is a different story. Poverty isn't nearly as bad, it's spread out in the city not in single neighborhoods.
The food is subjective, SF has "hoity-toity" million dollar meals, while NO has cheaper stick-to-the-ribs meals. Both have a taste of either but not what they're known for.
Have you been to NOLA in the past three years?

I grew up near New Orleans, have never been to California. I don't need to visit SF to tell me that its more "hoity-toity" than NOLA.

I dont know why you're all over this thread, if you havent been to San Francisco. Theres little comparison, Ive spent time in both. New Orleans is okay....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 10:37 PM

312 posts, read 436,686 times
New Orleans is okay, but I don't see anything special about it and I've tried to be fair to it. Read all the time on here that its supposedly the most unique place in the world. Been there 3 times and have never seen anything incredibly fascinating to me, the architecture can be beautiful though but gets old quick but I can find similar architecture (not exactly the same but similar) closer to me.

Now San Francisco on the other hand just blew me away, so beautiful, such perfect climate, my gosh fell in love with the city the first time I was there. Oh and the food was simply fantastic, hard to beat, only Chicago and New York have as much passion in fine food as San Francisco.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:40 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler. View Post
I know New Orleans doesn't have that pretty beach that everyone loves, but I'm not really a big fan of beaches. I find New Orleans to be more homey, and I think it's really pretty.
The beaches within a few hours drive of NOLA are much better weatherwise and for swimming than any beach in Northern CA. Nowhere in Ca can match the sand and warm, clear water of Northern FL beaches. Beaches in the city of SF are actually pretty gross for the most part, especially Ocean Beach.

Overall SF offers so much more than New Orleans but NOLA is such a special place in America. It truly feels like it has a soul and there is just this uniqueness and something about it SF can't match. I feel it has more character too and since it's smaller feels a lot more intimate. I feel like a lot of the people in NOLA are natives whose roots go back pretty deep, you don't get that feeling in SF anymore really. SF has become a much more transient and transplanted city. I've generally had better experiences with strangers in NOLA than I have in SF, just something about the people of that city that make it great. SF will beat out New Orleans in most categories and on paper, but what makes NOLA better than SF you can't really quantify with stats but only with experience.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:44 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
NOLA. SF is a tad overrated

Old 04-25-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
NOLA. SF is a tad overrated

Actually if you've been there its a tad under rated, where as New Orleans doesnt have much and is more comparable to Savannah or Charleston, even parts of Houston.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:51 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I dont know why you're all over this thread, if you havent been to San Francisco. Theres little comparison, Ive spent time in both. New Orleans is okay....
What is your point? Is that comment incorrect?

Old 04-25-2011, 10:52 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
SF is NOT underrated in anyway really, especially on this site. It's rated about right overall; people fawn over it all the time and understandably so.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
New Orleans is okay, but I don't see anything special about it and I've tried to be fair to it. Read all the time on here that its supposedly the most unique place in the world. Been there 3 times and have never seen anything incredibly fascinating to me, the architecture can be beautiful though but gets old quick but I can find similar architecture (not exactly the same but similar) closer to me.

Now San Francisco on the other hand just blew me away, so beautiful, such perfect climate, my gosh fell in love with the city the first time I was there. Oh and the food was simply fantastic, hard to beat, only Chicago and New York have as much passion in fine food as San Francisco.

You are spot on, exactly how I feel. SF is big and quaint at the same time. Its got a touch of California a touch of New York City and a bit of europe and Seattle all rolled into one. New Orleans is fun for a bit, but thats it. Its not a pretty city, I would say it had potential, but lost it somewhere along the way. Plus the weather is abysmal.....

Old 04-25-2011, 10:53 PM

312 posts, read 436,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Actually if you've been there its a tad under rated, where as New Orleans doesnt have much and is more comparable to Savannah or Charleston, even parts of Houston.
This post is so true, while New Orleans is larger than Galveston, Savannah, and Charleston, but those cities have many things similar to New Orleans. To me I just had this conversation with a friend the other day about visiting New Orleans, we don't see a point of driving 6 hours to do so anymore when we can get a smaller and less creole experience at the Strand.

San Francisco is an experience that just delivers on a much grandeur scale to me at least. Such a breathtaking city, and the weather is fantastic, the cool breeze and the atmosphere is just amazing.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
What is your point? Is that comment incorrect?

My point is not specific to that post, but to this thread. How can you possibly compare New Orleans a city you know well, with San Francisco a city you have never set foot in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City