Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Montreal 163 64.94%
Philadelphia 88 35.06%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:39 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
You could argue that, but you'd loose. Montreal was founded 40 years before Philadelphia.

You Philly homers might want to hire a fact checker.
That doesn't mean anything. Apparently I need to say it again... Philadelphia founded the United States of America... only the most powerful and important modern country in the world. Battles were fought here, the declaration of independence and the US constitution were drafted and signed here. Many US firsts happened here. Electricity was discovered here. Philadelphia in the 1700s was the second largest city in the world after London. It was the second largest in the US until 1900. It was home to the first and second continental congress and the city was the US capital for 10 years while DC was being built. During the industrial revolution, Philadelphia was known as the workshop of the world. The list goes on and on.

Philadelphia and Montreal both have early Native settlements. I don't think anyone arguing that Philadelphia has more history would lose at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 08:41 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
I would actually argue that Philly is the city with more history since it... idk... founded the United States of America.

And I would argue that Philadelphia has some amazing urban parks.

Wissahickon Park
https://www.google.com/search?q=wiss...w=1250&bih=675

And Fairmount Park are gorgeous
https://www.google.com/search?q=fair...w=1250&bih=675

The latter offers some pretty miraculous views of the Philly skyline:
Not saying Philly doesn't have some amazing urban parks - I was just there this past weekend and the area around the Museum of Art looks amazing. However, I think Montreal's city parks would even have NYC Central Park a run for its money:

Not to mention this jewel sitting on top of mountain peak just 15 minutes outside of downtown Montreal:

Old 02-11-2015, 08:43 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,377 times
Quote:
You could argue that, but you'd loose. Montreal was founded 40 years before Philadelphia.

You Philly homers might want to hire a fact checker.
LOL! Philly homers?
It baffles me how other city forumers can come and spew crazy opinions and outdated facts about Philly abd then when philadelphians come to correct,we're seen as homers. Philadelphians have a right to be proud of their city just like anyone from anywhere else.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:44 PM

36 posts, read 46,189 times
Very Sacre Coeur-like picture.

Love both cities to death.

Fortunately for Philly's sake, its trending upward, so while it may have some black eyes now, things are only going to improve going forward which doesn't bode well for its "competitors."

Old 02-11-2015, 08:45 PM

And personally I have yet to see any philly forumer bash Montreal. I think we all agree its an amazing city.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
That doesn't mean anything. Apparently I need to say it again... Philadelphia founded the United States of America... only the most powerful and important modern country in the world. Battles were fought here, the declaration of independence and the US constitution were drafted and signed here. Many US firsts happened here. Electricity was discovered here. Philadelphia in the 1700s was the second largest city in the world after London. It was the second largest in the US until 1900. It was home to the first and second continental congress and the city was the US capital for 10 years while DC was being built. During the industrial revolution, Philadelphia was known as the workshop of the world. The list goes on and on.

Philadelphia and Montreal both have early Native settlements. I don't think anyone arguing that Philadelphia has more history would lose at all.
I'm sure Philadelphia has a lot of history, but so does Montreal. Montreal is one of the oldest cities in Canada and is innately linked to that country's history. How can one boast one's own history as more glorified and important while casually dismissing a counterpart's history, which has an equally great impact on that country's own development that you may not be very familiar with?

I was with a group of Chinese colleagues from central China over the weekend visiting Philadelphia. From their perspective, Philadelphia's history is not high on their list of interests, mainly because their own city's history extends well past 1000 BC and was the capital of 13 imperial dynasties. In their eyes, Philadelphia's history, despite America being a world superpower, is minuscule ("like an infant" - the exact words used by one of my Chinese colleagues). Philadelphia may have had a great impact on America's development as a nation, but people from other countries may have very different levels of interest in that aspect.

Last edited by bostonkid123; 02-11-2015 at 08:57 PM..

Old 02-11-2015, 08:56 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I'm sure Philadelphia has a lot of history, but so does Montreal. Montreal is one of the oldest cities in Canada and is innately linked to that country's history. How can one boast one's own history as more glorified and important while casually dismissing a counterpart's history, which has an equally great impact on that country's own development that you may not be very familiar with?
I'm not downplaying Montreal's history. However...

The creation of the United States of America vs. playing a part in the History of Canada. You tell me what the majority of people would have more interest in.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:59 PM

2,723 posts, read 6,109,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimetoMoveOutWest View Post
With more people, I guess that means Philadelphia is more desirable, no?
Montreal - population 1,649,519 (2011 figure)

Philadelphia - population 1,553,165 (2013 figure)

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses*
It baffles me how other city forumers can come and spew crazy opinions and outdated facts about Philly abd then when philadelphians come to correct,we're seen as homers.
I only 'spew' facts. Get yours straight, and I'll leave you alone.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Montreal - population 1,649,519 (2011 figure)

Philadelphia - population 1,553,165 (2013 figure)

I only 'spew' facts. Get yours straight, and I'll leave you alone.
No you spew opinions. Now leave ME alone

Old 02-11-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I'm not downplaying Montreal's history. However...

The creation of the United States of America vs. playing a part in the History of Canada. You tell me what the majority of people would have more interest in.
Yep, I believe I have already answered that in the previous post. I've lived in 6 countries throughout my life in Asia, Americas, and Europe, and I've found that people are much more fascinated by America's present development than its history. Most people in China or Germany, two places that I've lived, have very little interest in American history. Why should they be? Everyone has their own national and cultural history. If anything, foreigners are usually a lot more engaged when I talk about present-day politics or 20th century American history (such as America's involvement in WWII, the Korean War, and its impact on present-day relations with China and Germany - these topics usually elicit a lot more interest than America's founding history).

Quote:
I was with a group of Chinese colleagues from central China over the weekend visiting Philadelphia. From their perspective, Philadelphia's history is not high on their list of interests, mainly because their own city's history extends well past 1000 BC and was the capital of 13 imperial dynasties. In their eyes, Philadelphia's history, despite America being a world superpower, is minuscule ("like an infant" - the exact words used by one of my Chinese colleagues). Philadelphia may have had a great impact on America's development as a nation, but people from other countries may have very different levels of interest in that aspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City