Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Montreal 163 64.94%
Philadelphia 88 35.06%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 10:50 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times

Advertisements

COL- Philadelphia

QOL- Too tough to call though I'm inclined to go with Montreal for having socialized healthcare and very low crime.

Location- Philadelphia- Tough to beat being smack in the middle of the BOS-WASH megalopolis. Also near the coast.

Infrastructure- Probably slight edge to Montreal- Their subway is newer, the roads seem to be in decent shape.

Higher education- Philadelphia though Montreal has some great schools too.

Architecture- Slight edge to Montreal since I do love that French Style architecture. Close though.

safety- Montreal, I believe, is one of the safest major cities in North America

Weather- Absolutely Philadelphia.

Sports- Absolutely Philadelphia. Montreal only has the Habs and their fans are an embarrassment.

Food- I give a little edge to Montreal. It's an underrated food town and the fusion of Canadian and French cuisine is a match made in heaven. Duck Confit Poutine may be the best thing I've ever tasted in my life.

local culture- Philadelphia. Montreal is more "unique" seeing as it's Francophone, but I enjoy Philadelphia better.

History- Philadelphia easily.

Brighter future- Philadelphia. I feel like Montreal has more than reached its potential. In many ways, it's a bit overrated. Philadelphia is a great city but still has a lot of room for improvement. I'd rather watch the changes in Philly over the next few decades than Montreal.

I do enjoy both cities, but I've found that Montreal is a bit overrated. I do love the Quebecois culture, but I would rather visit Quebec City to experience the best Quebec has to offer than Montreal. It's a much more attractive city (architecturally and naturally) and it's far more "authentic" French-Canadain (Montreal has a LOT of English speakers). Philadelphia wins this one for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
He said Center City makes downtown Montreal look like a small village.

Ive never been to Montreal but my comparitive impression would go like this.

Downtown- Philadelphia
Overall City- Montreal
He's pretty much spot-on. Downtown Montreal is really nothing spectacular. The Old City is WAY too touristy (to the point of almost being a mockery of itself) and St. Catherine St. is ugly and not nearly as fun as it appears to the hoards of under-21 year olds that flock to it. Montreal's strengths are in its neighborhoods which are very nice, mostly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 09:22 AM

10 posts, read 38,877 times
Other than the weather (except summers) Montreal hands down by far!! It's the best Canadian city and second North American after NYC

Old 10-05-2011, 02:19 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk_Gutte View Post
Other than the weather (except summers) Montreal hands down by far!! It's the best Canadian city and second North American after NYC

I hope you know that is your opinion. I'm sure people who live in Toronto would beg to differ.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:25 PM

61 posts, read 78,434 times
I appreciate your optimism but Montreal is a much more dynamic city with much nicer urban center/downtown than ours. I would do anything to have a cool city layout like Montreal if I could. Montreal is a much more glamour and cleaner and better respected city than Philly. You have no idea how good you guys have it. I wish we had our old city as good as Old Montreal and downtown as vibrant and clean as theirs.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:37 PM

6 posts, read 18,532 times
Montreal has grid streets like most of Manhattan, which is easier to walk around the streets.
It's my favorite Canadian city by far, and yes better than Toronto.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:37 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Philly bro View Post
I appreciate your optimism but Montreal is a much more dynamic city with much nicer urban center/downtown than ours. I would do anything to have a cool city layout like Montreal if I could. Montreal is a much more glamour and cleaner and better respected city than Philly. You have no idea how good you guys have it. I wish we had our old city as good as Old Montreal and downtown as vibrant and clean as theirs.
The argument is easy to make for Montreal's outer neighborhoods. They're beautiful architecturally, diverse, and certainly unique by North American standards.

However, Downtown Montreal is nothing to write home about. Certainly not any nicer than Center City Philadelphia (I'd say Center City is much nicer). The "Old Port" in Montreal is so touristy it seems like more of a Disney version of itself than the real deal (go to Quebec City for the real deal). St. Catherine is highly overrated (you'll have a better dining/nightlife experience in some of the outer neighborhoods) and incredibly tacky. The rest of downtown is a little too "business districty" for my tastes. More so than the Financial Districts in other highly regarded cities like Boston, San Francisco, and even Center City. The Underground City is certainly an attraction. A necessity even, when you consider the frigid winters. However, the novelty of that wears off pretty quickly (it is, after all, a big underground shopping mall and little else).

Montreal has a LOT of strengths. Downtown isn't at the top of the list.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:59 AM

5 posts, read 7,118 times
Montreal

Old 10-10-2011, 12:25 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Jew View Post
Montreal has grid streets like most of Manhattan, which is easier to walk around the streets.
It's my favorite Canadian city by far, and yes better than Toronto.
Are you mixing up Philly and Boston? Philadelphia is also on a grid, as it was the country's first planned city.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:36 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
Philly is most certainly a city built on a grid, but I think Savannah gets the honor of first planned city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Are you mixing up Philly and Boston? Philadelphia is also on a grid, as it was the country's first planned city.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:37 PM

129 posts, read 264,243 times
Now if Philadelphia (Center City) had an underground mall that connected to the university you could established what is perceived by many as an urban core. You couldn't block off the university from Center city you need a road (avenue) on the edge of campus, Then the university can have local business above ground, and coffee shops below apartments. Then people can come and go through center city and university wouldn't feel seperated.

I would pack as many business underground as possible. Takes for ever to get back to your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City