Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Montreal 163 64.94%
Philadelphia 88 35.06%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 11:34 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times

Advertisements

It's been said many times over again that Philly dominates with city population, metro area, CSA, GDP, economy...blah blah blah. Numbers don't really tell the whole story. Jakarta, Indonesia has 14 mil city/26 mil metro (bigger than NYC). Does that compel somebody to live or visit there?

Montreal is a very exceptional city. Its urbane character packs quite a punch and could stimulate even the most jaded urbanite. It's a world class city that is slightly under the radar. Much like other Northeastern cities it has a very well developed mass transit system; its subways are clean and run much quieter than other subway trains in other cities. There are more mom and pop and independent retailers in Montreal than the average US city. The architecture in Montreal is beautiful; older and dignified yet different from the common brownstones found in Philly or Boston. The food in Montreal is fantastic, has a large Jewish community (smoked meat & bagels), a Little Italy and a Chinatown. Mont Royal Park was designed by Olmstead, so that paints a picture of a beautiful park based on that. But it’s also a very large hill overlooking the city, with commanding views.

And for those that immediately write Montreal off because it’s in Quebec or are not confident enough in their French clearly know next to nothing about the city. Or perhaps they met one person who had a chip on their shoulder because they weren’t conversing in French and let that experience bring down their trip, whatever. It’s a bilingual city, and you’re more than likely to encounter people who only speak French in rural Quebec or older generations. Just learn a few simple greetings or phrases in French and you’re golden; it will go a long way and people there are actually pretty warm and inviting and speak good enough English. That’s been my experience anyway, give or take a few jaded city folk that could likely be encountered anywhere else.

And also, as said from another previous poster, Montreal does indeed have a large share of very good looking people, and very well dressed also. Lots of eye candy up there.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-22-2011 at 12:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 12:32 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Though I love Philadelphia I love Montreal even more. The beautiful people, the architecture, the neighborhoods, the nightlife, the food, wow! The city pulsates from one end to the other. And can someone tell me why these two cities are about the same size yet one's violent crime is off the charts compared to the other. The major canadian cities are far less violent than the american ones. What a shame.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:04 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
It's been said many times over again that Philly dominates with city population, metro area, CSA, GDP, economy...blah blah blah. Numbers don't really tell the whole story. Jakarta, Indonesia has 14 mil city/26 mil metro (bigger than NYC). Does that compel somebody to live or visit there?

No you didn't.

Did you just attempt to compare Philadelphia to Jakarta?

Let the record show

Per Capita Income 2008

Metro Philadelphia- $43,389
Metro Montreal- $34,918
Metro Jakarta- $3,000

Sheesh.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:18 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
No you didn't.

Did you just attempt to compare Philadelphia to Jakarta?

Let the record show

Per Capita Income 2008

Metro Philadelphia- $43,389
Metro Montreal- $34,918
Metro Jakarta- $3,000

Sheesh.
You missed the point. They're just numbers, not experiences. When one has a rich experience and lasting memories, numbers become arbitrary. When I was having fun indulging in Montreal nightlife, shopping in the unique retailers, or taking in the awesome view from the summit of the hill at Mont Royal Park, or practicing the French I had learned, I wasn't too concerned with the GDP output of New Jersey, Philadelphia, or Timbuktu. You could give me the per capita income of Geneva, and it would be pretty meaningless as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-22-2011 at 09:30 AM..

Old 05-22-2011, 10:13 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
I won't vote as I've never been to Montreal, but it looks like an awesome city. Looking at some pictures, it actually seems reminiscent of Philadelphia (except with a huge French influence, of course).

Old 05-22-2011, 05:04 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillytoCincy View Post
Love those shots, rainrock!

Philadephia in every category. It has everything to offer like Montreal; granted Montreal is safer. But Philly has turned itself around, and I think it is time for the nation to realize this. Not only Philly, but all of Pennsylvania.

Agreed, its a great state, and the best part is that philly still has so much potential and room to grow from where it already is, which is pretty solid.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:50 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Almost too close to call....I prefer Philadelphia because I love it's center city.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:11 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times
Wow, was not expecting Montreal to take this kind of a lead.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:20 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillytoCincy View Post
Wow, was not expecting Montreal to take this kind of a lead.
eh i think a lot of people who are voting probably have never been to montreal and the foreign allure i feel is swinging a lot of voters, it's got a mystique a bit if you know what i mean.

not saying montreal winning is a fluke or anything like that though, montreal is a great city... i did not think philly would come out on top.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:25 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
eh i think a lot of people who are voting probably have never been to montreal and the foreign allure i feel is swinging a lot of voters, it's got a mystique a bit if you know what i mean.

not saying montreal winning is a fluke or anything like that though, montreal is a great city... i did not think philly would come out on top.
That's true, but Philly usually holds its own pretty well, that's why it's kind of a shocker. The foreign allure I would think could go for London or Rome, hell, even Melbourne, but I wouldn't think Montreal that much.

Montreal is a beautiful city, though. I am being biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City