Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Montreal 163 64.94%
Philadelphia 88 35.06%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:08 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Montreal - population 1,649,519 (2011 figure)

Philadelphia - population 1,553,165 (2013 figure)

I only 'spew' facts. Get yours straight, and I'll leave you alone.

American cities are more sprawled and their suburbs are more populated rather than their core cities.

Montreal Metropolitan Area - 3,824,221
Philadelphia Metropolitan Area - 6,034,678

Between 2005 and 2013, Philadelphia gained 89,884 residents. Between 2006 and 2011, Montreal gained 28,826 residents. It would seem Philadelphia is growing faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Yep, I believe I have already answered that in the previous post. I've lived in 6 countries throughout my life in Asia, Americas, and Europe, and I've found that people are much more fascinated by America's present development than its history. Most people in China or Germany, two places that I've lived, have very little interest in American history. Why should they be? Everyone has their own national and cultural history. If anything, foreigners are usually a lot more engaged when I talk about present-day politics or 20th century American history (such as America's involvement in WWII, the Korean War, and its impact on present-day relations with China and Germany - these topics usually elicit a lot more interest than America's founding history).
Exactly. I'm not arguing with you, so I don't know what you're trying to get at. Both US and Canadian History is young compared to Asia, Africa and Europe. However, US vs. Canadian history, most would find US history more interesting.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:18 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
I'm not downplaying Montreal's history. However...

The creation of the United States of America vs. playing a part in the History of Canada. You tell me what the majority of people would have more interest in.
You're running into the problem of viewing Americans as "normal people", but when you're talking tourism you need a more global perspective. I'm sure what you say is true for Americans who will have grown up learning about Philadelphia in school and are already very familiar with her stories coming into a trip to that city, but it's not necessarily true for your average potential foreign tourist. Optimistically, maybe they've heard the word "liberty bell" in some American movie but have no idea what it's relevance is and don't understand why Philadelphia is historically important other the that it was a large early American city. For them, they may find Montreal more of an enjoyable "historical" experience just based on how intact and well preserved old Montreal is and based on how well the history is presented and taught by museums and other deliberate historical programming. You need to present your history as an experience, you can't assume people are already familiar with it because even within Anglophone countries people's knowledge of Philadelphia's history is not particularly strong, that knowledge is quite specific to the US itself, and there's nothing inherently more interesting about America's story then Canada's if both are being presented for the first time. I mean, are you familiar with Montreal's history? It's fascinating, dynamic, and the constitutional implications of the city are within living memory, not the distant past.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:20 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,172,404 times
Quote:
American cities are more sprawled and their suburbs are more populated rather than their core cities.

Montreal Metropolitan Area - 3,824,221
Philadelphia Metropolitan Area - 6,034,678

Between 2005 and 2013, Philadelphia gained 89,884 residents. Between 2006 and 2011, Montreal gained 28,826 residents. It would seem Philadelphia is growing faster.
It'd be great if you could provide exact citations.

From a quick wiki search:

Montreal's metro population growth rate: +5.2% from 2006-2011

According to Statistics Canada, Montreal metro population grew from 3,635,556 in 2006 to 3,824,221 in 2011, or an absolute gain of +188,665 new residents in 5 years. So I'm not sure where you got the "28,826" from. Sorry to burst the bubble

I don't have comparable figures on Philadelphia in the same period, but I did find this March 2012 article from the Philadelphia Inquirer, titled "Census: Philadelphia population grows again, but rate slows":

Quote:
Indeed, the city’s population declined every year between 2000 and 2006, losing nearly 26,000 residents during the span. But since 2006, the city has added more than 64,000 people.
Read more at Census: Philadelphia population grows again, but rate slows

Old 02-11-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Exactly. I'm not arguing with you, so I don't know what you're trying to get at. Both US and Canadian History is young compared to Asia, Africa and Europe. However, US vs. Canadian history, most would find US history more interesting.
Except very few foreigners outside of North America would bother to "pitch" American history against Canadian history to see which one is more interesting. Most visitors to your city just want to have a good time experiencing the city as it is present-day, not some textbook history lecture asking people if "our history" is more interesting than "their history" - if I were a first-time visitor and someone asked me that question, that alone would yield a first impression of insecurity, as if one needs to justify the "interestingness" of their history by pitching it against a neighboring country's history. Somewhat petty, don't you think?

Old 02-11-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
You're running into the problem of viewing Americans as "normal people", but when you're talking tourism you need a more global perspective. I'm sure what you say is true for Americans who will have grown up learning about Philadelphia in school and are already very familiar with her stories coming into a trip to that city, but it's not necessarily true for your average potential foreign tourist. Optimistically, maybe they've heard the word "liberty bell" in some American movie but have no idea what it's relevance is and don't understand why Philadelphia is historically important other the that it was a large early American city. For them, they may find Montreal more of an enjoyable "historical" experience just based on how intact and well preserved old Montreal is and based on how well the history is presented and taught by museums and other deliberate historical programming. You need to present your history as an experience, you can't assume people are already familiar with it because even within Anglophone countries people's knowledge of Philadelphia's history is not particularly strong, that knowledge is quite specific to the US itself, and there's nothing inherently more interesting about America's story then Canada's if both are being presented for the first time. I mean, are you familiar with Montreal's history? It's fascinating, dynamic, and the constitutional implications of the city are within living memory, not the distant past.
And Philadelphia's history is still very intact and well presented as well. Old City and Society Hill are the most intact and historical neighborhoods in the entire United States. I wasn't considering Americans as "normal people." I was considering the average international tourist when making my claim. Even then, the majority would be more interested in the History of a world superpower.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
And Philadelphia's history is still very intact and well presented as well. Old City and Society Hill are the most intact and historical neighborhoods in the entire United States. I wasn't considering Americans as "normal people." I was considering the average international tourist when making my claim. Even then, the majority would be more interested in the History of a world superpower.
Still waiting on your response to the census numbers posted in your previous post, and your citations for "Montreal grows slower than Philadelphia". For a poster with your level of reputation on CD, I was expecting a more encompassing response.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
It'd be great if you could provide exact citations.

From a quick wiki search:

Montreal's metro population growth rate: +5.2% from 2006-2011

According to Statistics Canada, Montreal metro population grew from 3,635,556 in 2006 to 3,824,221 in 2011, or an absolute gain of +188,665 new residents in 5 years. So I'm not sure where you got the "28,826" from.

I don't have comparable figures on Philadelphia in the same period, but I did find this March 2012 article from the Philadelphia Inquirer, titled "Census: Philadelphia population grows again, but rate slows":
Sorry, the population numbers were for city proper.

Montreal grew from 1,620,693 in 2006 to 1,649,519 in 2011 for a gain of 28,826.
Focus on Geography Series, 2011 Census - Census metropolitan area of Montréal

Philadelphia grew from 1,463,281 in 2005 to 1,553,165 for a gain of 89,884.
Philadelphia County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Population of the 20 Largest U.S. Cities, 1900–2012

Old 02-11-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Except very few foreigners outside of North America would bother to "pitch" American history against Canadian history to see which one is more interesting. Most visitors to your city just want to have a good time experiencing the city as it is present-day, not some textbook history lecture asking people if "our history" is more interesting than "their history" - if I were a first-time visitor and someone asked me that question, that alone would yield a first impression of insecurity, as if one needs to justify the "interestingness" of their history by pitching it against a neighboring country's history. Somewhat petty, don't you think?
Then your argument is with the wrong person. I responded to a post that said Montreal was the city that had "History" in a list of things that Philadelphia does not. I was simply arguing that this is definitely not the case.

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 02-11-2015 at 09:50 PM..

Old 02-11-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Still waiting on your response to the census numbers posted in your previous post, and your citations for "Montreal grows slower than Philadelphia". For a poster with your level of reputation on CD, I was expecting a more encompassing response.
I responded. If you want to look at Metropolitan areas, the majority of Census data is done every 10 years in the US.

From 2000 to 2010, Philadelphia's Metropolitan Area grew from 5,687,147 to 5,965,343 for a total of 278,196. The 2012 population number was estimated to be at 6,034,678 for a gain of 69,335 in two years.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Delaware Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Yac; 02-18-2015 at 06:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City