Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Montreal 163 64.94%
Philadelphia 88 35.06%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:17 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I know Montreal quite well though I do not live there. I did some research on Philadelphia and it appears that housing costs are about the same in the two cities. Montreal is considered a bargain when compared to the two other big Canadian cities (Toronto and Vancouver) but in general housing is more expensive in Canada than in U.S. cities - with some exceptions like NYC of course.

So if housing is about the same, what about the rest?

Almost all of the rest is more expensive anywhere in Canada, and this includes Montreal. I am talking about food, clothing, cars, gas and taxes.

So yeah, Montreal is almost certainly more expensive than Philadelphia.

From my time in Montreal and limited to three weekends I found the costs of things to be a little more expensive (not sure if that was the currency conversion or not) but what a great city

I also second JMTs notion on the beautiful people in Montreal - maybe they should bottle their water and sell it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 12:44 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,044 times
Overall city? Montreal. Montreal IS what Philadelphia would have been if middle class and white flight wasnt part of the history of the eastern half of US cities.

Downtown? Philadelphia

Metro? Philadelphia

1 hr drive from the beaches. 1 1/2 hr drive to the mountains. 8 M person media market(4th largest in usa). In the center of a 60 M person megalopolis.
Beautiful suburbs housing 5 M people.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:02 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,105 times
Love those shots, rainrock!

Philadephia in every category. It has everything to offer like Montreal; granted Montreal is safer. But Philly has turned itself around, and I think it is time for the nation to realize this. Not only Philly, but all of Pennsylvania.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillytoCincy View Post
Love those shots, rainrock!

Philadephia in every category. It has everything to offer like Montreal; granted Montreal is safer. But Philly has turned itself around, and I think it is time for the nation to realize this. Not only Philly, but all of Pennsylvania.
Talked to an associate who lives in Montreal and he was absolutely blown away by Center City. His exact words were "The size, energy,density,architecture dwarfs downtown Montreal".

Overall? I cant argue that Montreal isnt in better overall shape.

The other day I heard a couple of tourists with french accents. I assume they were from France. They were saying they couldnt believe such a big city with so much energy could be an hour away from NYC.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:34 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,938,908 times
Montreal is a lot cleaner city by far, Philadelphia is dirty although City Center is impressive, the city looks slummy with it's rundown rowhouses.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Montreal is a lot cleaner city by far, Philadelphia is dirty although City Center is impressive, the city looks slummy with it's rundown rowhouses.
Certain sections of the city looks slummy. Fixed

If someone dropped you off in South Philly and you walked N 3 miles to Center City you might shocked at what an amazing place Philadelphia is. I can only imagine its awesomeness 50-100 years ago when it was dominated by Italians,Irish,jews,Poles. Today its a mish-mosh of Italians, Irish,African Americans,Mexicans,Asians, Yuppies, and Hipsters. Very well kept especially E of Broad.

N Philly has issues. NW + NE Philly are immaculate and more suburban oriented.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:53 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
montreal

i would not live there though

quebec? cmon

Old 05-21-2011, 05:27 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
montreal

i would not live there though

quebec? cmon
Why?

Old 05-21-2011, 05:52 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why?
Well, Quebec does have inferiority issues with respect to the rest of Canada, in a similar way that Canada has with respect to the United States.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:13 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, Quebec does have inferiority issues with respect to the rest of Canada, in a similar way that Canada has with respect to the United States.
I think it's more superiority issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City