Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Puerto Rico or Hawaii
Puerto Rico 16 36.36%
Hawaii 28 63.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:16 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,068,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie.e View Post
tough one ..
Hawaii is very beautiful as well as Puerto Rico.. Hawaii is very exotic and has beautiful beaches..
Puerto Rico has beautiful beaches and has the bioluminescent bay on the island of vieques which is attractive.. mountains tho are not too impressive and the island of Puerto Rico lacks the Lush vegetation that you find in places like Panama or Costa Rica.
Compared to Hawaii tho,,.. it's easier to reach to from Miami,FL and generally a quicker way to get away from the cold int he winter vs going to Hawaii.

Having Puerto Rican family on my dad side and being Panamanian from my mothers I can tell u that puerto ricans DO have a temper! Man far much worse than any other hispanic group and it's no offense to anyone just that Violent approaches are sometimes common in Puerto Rico for different reasons beyond the Crimewave of gangs/mafias .
It's hard to pick which is better since both offers it's pros and cons...
It's a draw for me..
Puerto Rico lacks lush vegetation?

Puerto Rico El Yunque rainforest and beaches Travel Guide with hotels and rain forest lodging
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 07:38 PM

157 posts, read 296,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Puerto Rico does have rainforests like El Yunque, but throughout much of the island it's not comparable to the rainforests in Panama nor in Costa Rica it's much more dense and has a lot more flora and fauna..
I'm not neglecting that Puerto Rico does have a rainforest but it's primarily recognized to most for being probably the most easiest way to see a rainforest since Puerto Rico is part of the US and it's treasured in America along with the Rainforests in Hawaii but it doesn't come close to the Biodiversity that for example Panama has and it's species of both Flora and Fauna.. over 900 species of just Birds, near 300 species of Mammals and well over 600 different types of plants .. it's not match.
But at least visitors who visit Puerto Rico and has not been to a rainforest it's a fair choice, just not the most exotic by far.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:02 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie.e View Post
Puerto Rico does have rainforests like El Yunque, but throughout much of the island it's not comparable to the rainforests in Panama nor in Costa Rica it's much more dense and has a lot more flora and fauna..
I'm not neglecting that Puerto Rico does have a rainforest but it's primarily recognized to most for being probably the most easiest way to see a rainforest since Puerto Rico is part of the US and it's treasured in America along with the Rainforests in Hawaii but it doesn't come close to the Biodiversity that for example Panama has and it's species of both Flora and Fauna.. over 900 species of just Birds, near 300 species of Mammals and well over 600 different types of plants .. it's not match.
But at least visitors who visit Puerto Rico and has not been to a rainforest it's a fair choice, just not the most exotic by far.
Can't argue with this. The forests throughout Central and South America are definitely unique and massive!

Old 09-05-2014, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,350 times
I'm from Puerto Rico and hands down I would say Hawaii. I've visited Honolulu over 4 times and I would prefer to live in Hawaii. The only negative thing about Hawaii is the overall cost of living is way too high! 1 gallon of milk cost me $9.96 "on sale". I also always notice a substantially large amount of homeless people in Hawaii. That is something that is not really seen in PR. Now if you want similar beaches and surf for a lesser cost of travel, i would highly recommend Puerto Rico! I love my island!

Old 09-05-2014, 04:40 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
just got back from Hawaii - am thinking tough to compare to Hawaii it is pretty amazing

Old 09-28-2014, 11:59 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,904,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
I hope you know that the Blacks in Puerto Rico did arrive there as slaves just as in the states. And there is still racism in PR to the extent that some will go out of their to deny their Black ancestry as we see many Dominicans as well.
True!

Old 09-29-2014, 01:07 AM

10,641 posts, read 16,025,322 times
Hawaii without even thinking!
The only categories Puerto Rico wins are Cost of Living+Location and maybe Architecture+Food.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:06 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,796 times
I'd take Puerto Rico over Hawaii any day for the following reasons:

-It's less expensive. It's true, I looked it up and I have been told this from people who have been to both places. The average rent for an apartment or a home in Hawaii is outrageous! I couldn't even imagine buying a place, the average price just a 1-bedroom studio is $1500-$2000, and that's not taking into account the price of food, gas, and electricity all of which are also more expensive in Hawaii. In Puerto Rico you can find a much more diverse range of housing options, though you don't want to live in the very cheap areas as they're probably unsafe. Food, gas, and electricity is a bit higher in Puerto Rico compared to the US because it's obviously an island and such things have to be shipped. However the Caribbean is not as isolated as Hawaii, and that cuts down on the overall cost of living by a lot. The cost of housing is far more reasonable in Puerto Rico than Hawaii, especially when you factor in taxes to which Puerto Rico also seems to be lower. Most of the people who I know that have lived in Hawaii only did so with some kind of support from the Military or the Government.

Rents for 1-bedroom dumpy studios in Hawaii:

Apartments for Rent in Honolulu, HI - 268 Rentals - HotPads

Rents for luxurious multi bedroom apartments and homes in Puerto Rico:

http://www.homes.com/rentals/puerto-rico/

-Friendlier locals. In Hawaii there is a large segment of racism among the native population towards white people, they call us Haoles. It's actually a much more profound problem than the Hawaii people like to admit, it effects everything from employment, to service, and there's even a massive problem in the Hawaii school system of white children getting beaten up (it's called "Kill a Haole Day, again look it up). This of course does not apply to every Hawaiian Native however, there are plenty of kind ones, but make no mistake racism is a big problem in Hawaii. In Puerto Rico I have been told that the locals are very friendly and treat you like a family member, that they're much more down to Earth and treat you as an equal. This is probably due to the Latin Cultural influence. However there are a few shady parts of Puerto Rico, mainly in San Juan, that are unsafe.

-It's not as isolated. This wouldn't be a problem if I was just visiting a place. However if I had to pick one to live I would say Puerto Rico as I'm a short flight (or boat ride) away from the US and to other Caribbean Islands (such as the Virgin Islands which you don't need a passport for if you are a US citizen). Living in such an isolated place like Hawaii would drive me crazy after a while, it's a long flight to get back to the mainland and it's not cheap either.

-I prefer Latin culture over Asian/Pacific Islander culture. Not bashing anyone's culture here, I just prefer Latin cuisine over Asian cuisine. I'm also a fan of Spanish style architecture.

-I have been told that Puerto Rico has better beaches, the water is warmer and calmer and the sand is snow-white and incredibly soft, like something out of a dream. Hawaii's beaches by contrast I have been told are rougher and the sand is more rocky, that you can't hang out in the water for too long before the waves give you a beating. I'm sure that beaches in both places are beautiful however.

-I love the Caribbean! I love the diverse cultures and the history that make up the place, it's much more diverse than Hawaii.

They both tie in natural beauty for me, they're both tropical paradises and I don't understand how anyone could honestly say that one place is "superior" in this regard. They both look pretty similar, nice beaches, vast mountains, hills, dense jungles, beautiful sunny skies, it's trivial to fight over such a thing.

Only major downside to Puerto Rico that I could see is you have to be fluent in Spanish. Hawaii does not have this issue. Though many of the PR locals do speak English. Also take into account that violent crime is higher in Puerto Rico, though this seems to be mainly isolated to certain locations of San Juan.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:28 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Hawaii, and it's not close

Old 10-03-2014, 08:40 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Depends. Parts of Hawaii are pretty ghetto. Parts of PR are not. I like the fact that PR is not pristine and maintains strong cultural ties.
Same here. Some people are just too soft I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City