Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which collar?
Blue 34 14.47%
White 67 28.51%
A little bit of both 148 62.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:11 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Luxury View Post
Which type of cities do you prefer?
Why do you prefer those typed cities?

Do you think its fine for the yuppies to come in your neighborhood and raise the prices on homes and kick the hard working blue collar people out?
Also one more question.
Do you think the poverty of the cities balances out where the safe areas are and bad areas are.

White Collar:
Seattle
Minniapolis
Boston
ect

a little bit of both:
NYC
Chicago
Philadelphia

Blue Collar:
Detroit
Cleveland
Los Angeles
DC
LA is blue collar but Philly is not?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 12:14 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
LA is surprisingly very blue collar but of course historically Philly has been an industrial powerhouse for decades. The past few decades though "meds and eds" have really taken over and are probably the biggest industries in Philly today. I'd put both LA and Philly as alot a bit of both

Old 06-13-2011, 12:46 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
I think it is horrible that yuppies move in and raise the prices, pushing the poor working families out of places like Brooklyn and others. I am not even a New Yorker but I still think it is wrong. I think white collar people should be able to move into a city but they should condense into areas already that have them, not kick the blue collar people out and if there is no more space, they shouldn't come anymore. That is why I think cities should have growth control. Once space runs out, that should be it. I know if I move to NYC, I'd want to move into an area that already has white collar transplants and yuppies and had them for a while, not move into a blue collar area with natives and end up raising the price to kick them out.

I like having a bit of both because having both white and blue makes things interesting. I think having a homogenous area is boring to me.
Unfortunately for you, the United States is a very free country in most aspects.If you want legal social segregation, i suggest a different nation.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:53 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
LA is surprisingly very blue collar but of course historically Philly has been an industrial powerhouse for decades. The past few decades though "meds and eds" have really taken over and are probably the biggest industries in Philly today. I'd put both LA and Philly as alot a bit of both
Grew up in Philly Blue collar, same with Boston

Blue collar towns have trolley cars and elevated trains

Old 06-13-2011, 01:47 PM

546 posts, read 1,176,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Unfortunately for you, the United States is a very free country in most aspects.If you want legal social segregation, i suggest a different nation.
Actually doing what I said is legal in the United States but not very well known. In Vail, Colorado there are certain parts where I think they designate them as affordable workforce housing. If a person is making above a certain income level and/or not working in a certain job for that area, they cannot live there. I think when it was passed, it was done in response to something similar that was happening there as was in New York City. The prices were getting too high so the government stepped in to ensure affordable workforce (blue-collar) housing. As far as it being legal "social" segregation, it isn't really social in that you can be whatever social-type you want but it does do things like prevent high-income people from pushing out lower-income ones and prevent rents from getting high if people making a certain income are prevented from living in a certain area. It isn't a system that is perfect but I am glad that they were actually doing something so that blue collar workers in Vail and other Colorado towns could still live there where they work.

Last edited by JKFire108; 06-13-2011 at 01:59 PM..

Old 06-13-2011, 04:55 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post

I think both cities are very different, but philadelphia has changed quite a bit in during the past 30 years so i would say a mix in the city is very accurate.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:23 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
Actually doing what I said is legal in the United States but not very well known. In Vail, Colorado there are certain parts where I think they designate them as affordable workforce housing. If a person is making above a certain income level and/or not working in a certain job for that area, they cannot live there. I think when it was passed, it was done in response to something similar that was happening there as was in New York City. The prices were getting too high so the government stepped in to ensure affordable workforce (blue-collar) housing. As far as it being legal "social" segregation, it isn't really social in that you can be whatever social-type you want but it does do things like prevent high-income people from pushing out lower-income ones and prevent rents from getting high if people making a certain income are prevented from living in a certain area. It isn't a system that is perfect but I am glad that they were actually doing something so that blue collar workers in Vail and other Colorado towns could still live there where they work.
That's very interesting. Seems extremely strange to me that one can be banned from residing in an area based on their economic class.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:25 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
I prefer a tank top city.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:56 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Luxury View Post
I forgot to add pittsburgh to the white collar list.. and maybe DC can be on the A lil bit of both list
As a life long resident I can easily say Pittsburgh is not just white collar. It's a good mix of both where even the white collar people have some of the blue collar mentality.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:39 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,782,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
DC is arguably the most white collar city in the US.
D.C has nearly 20% of its population living below the poverty rate and some of the worst schools in the USA. If you think DC is the most white collar city in the US, you are living in one hell of a bubble or you have not been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City