Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one gets the least Notice/Attention?
Salt lake city 20 16.53%
Austin 1 0.83%
Denver 4 3.31%
Kansas City 31 25.62%
Oklahoma City 51 42.15%
Minneapolis 6 4.96%
Portland 5 4.13%
Phoenix 3 2.48%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 03:33 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
A $420 million performance arts center? Where does the funding come from? How are cities investing in these things during a budget crisis?

Super cool though!
All private donations. The only city money involved is for an underground parking garage for I think around 30 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 03:41 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
why urban areas? because it puts phoenix in front of actual cities like Houston and San Diego???

If you go by the actual city Phoenix is less dense than nearly half the cities you listed. Sometimes MUCH MUCH less dense.
You are right: List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Phoenix is the least dense of the top 10 cities and less dense than cities as varied as Omaha, Albuquerque, Eugene, Modesto and Baton Rouge.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:34 PM

88 posts, read 128,640 times
I definitely say Kansas City and its amazing how little attention it does get considering its strategic location almost in the middle of the Lower 48. It's a big city, big metropolitan area rather and I hear hardly anything coming from there. They have a lot of museums and points of interest as has been pointed out. Never hear much in the way of news that comes out of there on a national level. I know Oklahoma City is leading the poll right now but I hear a lot more about them say with the Thunder making it as far as they did in the NBA playoffs and every year with tornadoes/severe weather and the like. OKC gets a lot of attention I think especially for a city of its size and KC has a million more people or something like that.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:29 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
All private donations. The only city money involved is for an underground parking garage for I think around 30 million.
How refreshing!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooktheoriginal View Post
I definitely say Kansas City and its amazing how little attention it does get considering its strategic location almost in the middle of the Lower 48. It's a big city, big metropolitan area rather and I hear hardly anything coming from there. They have a lot of museums and points of interest as has been pointed out. Never hear much in the way of news that comes out of there on a national level. I know Oklahoma City is leading the poll right now but I hear a lot more about them say with the Thunder making it as far as they did in the NBA playoffs and every year with tornadoes/severe weather and the like. OKC gets a lot of attention I think especially for a city of its size and KC has a million more people or something like that.
It's only a "short" 6.5 hour drive (if you go 85) from Minneapolis -- check it out some weekend! Although I have to say, it's one of the most boring drives I've EVER been on, and I've done almost all of the most boring drives in America!!!

Old 06-15-2011, 03:06 PM

88 posts, read 128,640 times
Quote:
It's only a "short" 6.5 hour drive (if you go 85) from Minneapolis -- check it out some weekend! Although I have to say, it's one of the most boring drives I've EVER been on, and I've done almost all of the most boring drives in America!!!
Yeah it is about the same amount of time as going from here to Chicago which is amazing, I would have thought it was longer. Once you get south of Lakeville, there's nothing but corn fields and pasture. I guess it gets a little bit exciting in Des Moines but yeah that drive is a snooze fest in the passenger seat.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:53 PM

285 posts, read 567,834 times
Quote:
I have almost NO IDEA what is in OKC, what you do there, where to live, what it's like, or anything about it and yet it's one of the fastest growing metros in the country and my front-runner to be the fastest growing city for the next decade or two!
You truly do have NO IDEA about OKC if you think it is one of the fastest growing metros in the country and likely to become the fastest growing by the next decade. It's not even remotely close to being one of the fastest growing metros, nor is it likely at all that it will be the fastest growing, ever.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:09 PM

Census 2010 Offers Portrait of America in Transition | Newgeography.com

I guess it's only 22nd....not as fast as I thought.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:43 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Went to OC 3 months ago....I don't think it gets the attention it deserves.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:43 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
I know it is not Portland, I hear about that city all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City