Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2008, 10:07 AM

87 posts, read 290,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpainter View Post
Very interesting take on Australia and California. You know, they say that Australia is the new California. Are you in Australia?
I'm from Texas, but I have been to Australia several times

That reminds me btw...
Fort Myers, Fl-Darwin (Subtropical climate, crime, tourism)

Old 03-01-2008, 10:46 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,928,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpainter View Post
Very interesting take on Australia and California. You know, they say that Australia is the new California. Are you in Australia?
Guilty as charged, I was born and bred in Adelaide, but have lived in Sydney since 1989.
I think Oz is still too attached to the British culture to be or feel 'Californian', though physically parts of it resemble CA. I wish it was more like coastal California -y'know they dont even refill your coffee in restaurants here?
I've lived in Perth, and been to SD, but I don't see a similarity...mind you, it's been a while.
This will also sound weird, but Boston made me think of Sydney too, it was the 'feel' of it though, more than anything. Boston has a much more interesting history.
I read on Wiki (grains of salt, anyone?), that one of NOLAs sister cities is Holdfast Bay in South Australia. I love NOLA, and HB is okay...but sister cities??? More like distant 3rd cousins! I can't really compare dear ol' NOLA with anywhere else o/s, or in the U.S for that matter. She stands alone for me!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:46 AM
l12

160 posts, read 317,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
I think Denver is more of a Santiago than a La Paz. Denver and Santiago are both thriving, pretty, capitals, and have natural beauty (including the mountains. Both are situated on plains with mountains close by).
Well, superficially that is true however Santiago is a lot warmer, only 1.5 hours to the ocean, an important world capital and much larger than Denver.

I don't know about Denver but I'd say Santiago might be like Chicago if anything, in terms of the actual city. Much nicer weather and mountains though!

Old 03-18-2008, 12:34 PM

98 posts, read 480,847 times
Detroit = Beirut

Old 03-18-2008, 12:48 PM

140 posts, read 562,758 times
Chicago and Toronto, I have read, are very similar, and looking at Toronto pictures, I would agree there is a striking level of similarity.

I'll have to compare Seattle, Washington and Vancouver, BC. I have never been to each city, but know a good bit about each one. Same political climate, and same "Pacific Northwest" aesthetic and lifestyle.

I'd also say Duluth, Minnesota and Thunder Bay, Ontario. Again, I have never been to Canada, I am using pictures and knowledge to make my comparisons.

And, although I cannot make any more comparisons, I will compare Texas and Saskatchewan. Obvious climatical differences aside, the flat, desolate landscape of each state is remarkably similar.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:42 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgleCo View Post
Chicago and Toronto, I have read, are very similar, and looking at Toronto pictures, I would agree there is a striking level of similarity.

I'll have to compare Seattle, Washington and Vancouver, BC. I have never been to each city, but know a good bit about each one. Same political climate, and same "Pacific Northwest" aesthetic and lifestyle.

I'd also say Duluth, Minnesota and Thunder Bay, Ontario. Again, I have never been to Canada, I am using pictures and knowledge to make my comparisons.

And, although I cannot make any more comparisons, I will compare Texas and Saskatchewan. Obvious climatical differences aside, the flat, desolate landscape of each state is remarkably similar.
Although Canada is a foreign country, their cities feel very much the same as their American counterparts except safer, cleaner & more laidback

Old 03-30-2008, 12:55 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Houston,TX - Singapore(seaports, both are melting pots in their own way.)
Kalamata, Greece - Tarpon Springs,FL(small ports with large Greek influence.)

Old 04-16-2008, 09:42 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkue View Post
Detroit = Beirut
In terms of violence, I could see why, but I would compare Beirut to Compton,CA based on climate and violence.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:40 AM
l12

160 posts, read 317,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Although Canada is a foreign country, their cities feel very much the same as their American counterparts except safer, cleaner & more laidback
Not necessarily cleaner. Vancouver full of homeless and drug addicts. Montreal full of prostitutes at night and people pee in the streets. Don't know about Toronto.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:06 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,347 times
Default even more so

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I had to think about that one, but I can see the similarities. The Nigerians, plus the Lagos Lagoon sort of looks similar to Galveston Bay. Otherwise, I wouldn't exactly call them similar. I mean, Lagos isn't even a global city.
Also, one is capital of American oil industry, other Africa's oil industry. Also, Galveston on barrier bar is like Victoria/Ikoyi Island. Also, both tropical humid and very many Nigerian live in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City