Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better for me?
Twin cities area 37 57.81%
Denver area 27 42.19%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:21 PM

89 posts, read 165,508 times

Advertisements

Based on:
- Hockey fans/enjoyment at the rink and football fans/enjoyment at the stadium. Basically which city is better for a hockey and football fan
- People friendliness
- Outdoor activities
- Things to do and places to go
- Small towns/suburbs around the city
- Cost of living
- Scenery, like mountains, forests and lakes
- Safest place for a family
- Anything else you can think of.
You can either reply or vote. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 08:50 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
- Which city is better for a hockey and football fan- unsure of this one.
- People friendliness-Denver in my opinion
- Outdoor activities-Both. Denver= Mountains & Lakes..Twin Cities=Hilly terrain & Many Lakes. Your pick!
- Things to do and places to go-Both. They are pretty much the same when it comes to things to do.
- Small towns/suburbs around the city-I have heard about how great the TCs suburbs are. But Denvers has Suburbs that are gret in my opinion.
- Cost of living-Denver
- Scenery, like mountains, forests and lakes-Mountains goes to Denver..Forest & lakes go to TCs
- Safest place for a family-Both are on the safe side. In both cities the "Bad areas" are actually pretty nice.
- Anything else you can think of.- Education goes to TCs. I'm not sure if its better but i've heard the education system in minnesota is outstanding! Denver has a great education system as well, so keep that in mind.

If you have kids (Somebody correct me if im wrong) I think Denver would be a better choice. (Thats just my opinion).

If you want a relatively cold climate choose Minneapolis/st paul. If you want a more mild climate choose Denver.

Heres my perspective. Since i've lived in Denver for many years, i guess I'm bein alitte bias but, I feel that denver would be a better choice according to the criteria. But choose what you want! It all comes down to what you like better. I think a nice trip to both would do you some good. Hope this hepls alittle!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. I think I should also add that I love water. I dont mind cold, snowy winters. In fact, I love snow, and I like it to stay around a while. Not meaning I like it snowing in late may, I just like it when it doesn't melt quickly.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:35 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDborn View Post
Based on:
- Hockey fans/enjoyment at the rink and football fans/enjoyment at the stadium. Basically which city is better for a hockey and football fan
- People friendliness
- Outdoor activities
- Things to do and places to go
- Small towns/suburbs around the city
- Cost of living
- Scenery, like mountains, forests and lakes
- Safest place for a family
- Anything else you can think of.
You can either reply or vote. Thanks.
Have lived 2 hours east of Twin Cities much of my life. Have visited Denver before.

-Sports town: TC
-People friendliness: I have to give the edge to TC
-Outdoor activities: Not overly outdoorsy. The most outdoorsy activities I take part in are going to the beach, picnics, the occasional hike. Have to give it to TC I guess. I prefer lakes/green/bluffs over mountains.
-Things to do and places to go: TC hands-down
-Small towns/suburbs around the city: TC
-Cost of living: Probably Denver
-Scenery, like mountains, forests and lakes: I find TC area and surrounding much prettier. Denver is so annoyingly landlocked.
-Safest place for a family: I'd say the same
-Anything else you can think of: They did this poll a few months back I believe. Denver, IMO, lacks vibrancy and the layout is strange. It's landlocked. I think TC has a more vibrant performing arts scene as well. Can't beat the Hennepin Theatre District.

I walked/rode bus/that rail system all around Denver for a day a few years back. There was nothing about the city that really wowed me honestly. It didn't click with me as a place I'd be interested in returning to again for any reason, really.

TC is more my style all-around. I always enjoy visiting there.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:42 PM

326 posts, read 871,935 times
These are my two favorite big cities. I voted for TC based on the river and better winter activities, but Denver is great too.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:46 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainRush View Post

If you want a relatively cold climate choose Minneapolis/st paul. If you want a more mild climate choose Denver.
TC's climate has more of a "bite" to it, definitely. Minneapolis skywalks are definitely welcome during the worst part of winter. But from what I've noticed on the news over the past few years - Denver's winters can be more brutal in terms of overall snowfall and road travel. It may be a milder temperature, but they seem to have much more actual snow over the course of winter. I guess it's what you prefer to deal with personally. Personally, I'd rather have cold than snow. TC has plenty of snow to contend with, but I think this area of the country takes care of it better than out west. (And that's my 15 years of experience living in Montana talking.) I have to say both Minnesota and Wisconsin do wonderful jobs keeping the roads clear of snow which is half the traveling battle much of the time.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:02 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,786 times
Another Twin Cities vs. Denver thread. Imagine that.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
TC's climate has more of a "bite" to it, definitely. Minneapolis skywalks are definitely welcome during the worst part of winter. But from what I've noticed on the news over the past few years - Denver's winters can be more brutal in terms of overall snowfall and road travel. It may be a milder temperature, but they seem to have much more actual snow over the course of winter. I guess it's what you prefer to deal with personally. Personally, I'd rather have cold than snow. TC has plenty of snow to contend with, but I think this area of the country takes care of it better than out west. (And that's my 15 years of experience living in Montana talking.) I have to say both Minnesota and Wisconsin do wonderful jobs keeping the roads clear of snow which is half the traveling battle much of the time.
I agree with most of this but there are things I can't help but to reply to. I actually think that Denver handles its snow pretty well. I mean, when it snows, it snows for no longer than 3 days at the most (unless there a blizzard) and when it snows that much, i guess its kind of hard to clear the road, let the snow pile up again, and then clear the roads again. So they just wait until its over to actually control the road situation. Over the past few years (3 years) we haven't been getting as much snow. It didn't actually SNOW until December which is really unusual.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
Have lived 2 hours east of Twin Cities much of my life. Have visited Denver before.

-Sports town: TC
-People friendliness: I have to give the edge to TC
-Outdoor activities: Not overly outdoorsy. The most outdoorsy activities I take part in are going to the beach, picnics, the occasional hike. Have to give it to TC I guess. I prefer lakes/green/bluffs over mountains.
-Things to do and places to go: TC hands-down
-Small towns/suburbs around the city: TC
-Cost of living: Probably Denver
-Scenery, like mountains, forests and lakes: I find TC area and surrounding much prettier. Denver is so annoyingly landlocked.
-Safest place for a family: I'd say the same
-Anything else you can think of: They did this poll a few months back I believe. Denver, IMO, lacks vibrancy and the layout is strange. It's landlocked. I think TC has a more vibrant performing arts scene as well. Can't beat the Hennepin Theatre District.

I walked/rode bus/that rail system all around Denver for a day a few years back. There was nothing about the city that really wowed me honestly. It didn't click with me as a place I'd be interested in returning to again for any reason, really.

TC is more my style all-around. I always enjoy visiting there.
I think some aspects of this post are really bias.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:02 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. I think I should also add that I love water. I dont mind cold, snowy winters. In fact, I love snow, and I like it to stay around a while. Not meaning I like it snowing in late may, I just like it when it doesn't melt quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City